Profile question

Bigjimg

Any reason in particular you want to do this for? They'll give you a much harsher ride (I know no one buys a 370 for a comfortable ride anyway) and will be more prone to potholes killing them. You'll be looking at a roughly 4% difference in your speedo too. As for TCS I'm not sure how much of a variance in rolling rotation you can go until its starts throwing problems up for this.

Car is on Birdgestone potenza RE050A's  all round at the moment and they are absolute rubbish in the wet! Fine on dry roads.

I need some tyres that are better in dry and wet conditions but the sizes seam to be difficult to get to keep them the same as OEM sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Bigjimg

• 3 months later...

At great risk of being shot by Ekona here lol.

Ok, after months of driving with new MPS4s all round I though I would report back how I find them.

Great tyre in the dry, but as I live in sunny ( not) Scotland where it is wet conditions about 75% of the time, I am now of a mind set that

having Uniroyal RS3's on my cars over the past few years that the Uniroyals are better suited for our climate up here.

Wet grip is way better on Uniroyal RS3's  than the MPS4s . The MPS4s are superb in the dry by the way.

This is merely my opinion from experience of both these tyres. Based on wet grip alone not on value for money or wear rate or dry grip.

As stated its wet most of the time here so horses for courses probably.

Each to their own, no shooting here today :)

Interestingly the other day it was a 5c damp night, but not raining, and I found the car to feel slightly skittish and not comfortable to push on at all. Now this was 2100, I’d been at work for 14.5 hours, and the next day in proper rain and a bit warmer on the same roads it was absolutely fine. Was this a one off? Was it me as a driver being mentally and physically exhausted? Was it something on the road/tyres that got washed away? Or did I just hit the wrong set of conditions for the tyres? 

Dunno. But it’s something I’ll keep an eye on. Been absolutely fine for me in all other circumstances though. 

On 09/08/2018 at 06:21, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is the way to go. Best tyre I've ever tried. Yes you could ever Goodyear eagle gsd3 as it's cheaper but still not as good. Mps4 is worth the extra money.

I've been using "Michelin MPS4" tyres on my car now for around a month. It's been a good test for them so far as the weather here in Wales has been cold, wet and generally rubbish. 

These tyres are fantastic imho and definitely worth the money. 

Living near the south coast I stick with 'summer tyres' throughout the year.  But I lived further north I would certainly invest in  a set of 'winter tyres' having experienced just how good they are in cold/snowy conditions.

When the temps drop any summer tyre feels crap when they are cold, but once warmed up and providing it is not snow/ice conditions a good set or summer tyres are fine and the MPSS I had on the 370 were so much better than anything else used before.  So much confidence on the wetest of roads.  

The Cayman is shod with the usual Pirelli P Zero tyres.  Not impressed so far, but then coming from A45, on which i had MPSS, the grip with 4WD was phenomenal.  Looking to change to MPS4S next year (as Dan notes) - not MPS4 that reports suggest are not best to have.

20 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Maybe because you had Rainsports on a better handling car....... :)

Have used Rainsport 3's on my last 4 cars, ( Celica gen7, 350Z, Lexus is300h F- sport and still got them on our Lancer Sportback)

Have found them faultless in the damp and  very wet conditions.

Admittedly there is no direct comparison here as the 370 has not a set of Uniroyals on it.

I am totally happy with the MPS4S on the 370, just an opinion that the RS3's to me have the edge in one particular area of grip, ( which is needed up here) they aren't as good in the dry.

My car is a daily by the way, it gets used in all conditions of weather.

Edited by Bigjimg

13 hours ago, Ebized said:

The Cayman is shod with the usual Pirelli P Zero tyres.  Not impressed so far, but then coming from A45, on which i had MPSS, the grip with 4WD was phenomenal.  Looking to change to MPS4S next year (as Dan notes) - not MPS4 that reports suggest are not best to have.

I detest PZeros, and I hate Porsche for swapping manufacturers. B*stards.

Don't get me wrong, if you've got sub-19" wheels then I'm still convinced that MPS4 are the best non-semi slick tyres to have, but if you do have 19"+ wheels then the MPS4S are a cut above.