Possible new owner..

Winehouse

Hi guys, 

I am looking at getting an auto 350Z, 2005. i have seen one i really like and have the money, but i wanted to aska quick question.

Firstly, it is a convertible, now ive not really considered one but it has everything i want including the right colour, styling and mods etc, it does look lovely with the roof down, any advice on the roof, are they usually decent?

Secondly, the main thing really, it has a little bubbling on both rear arches, it is only a little bubbling, would you still consider it with that, is it something that could be sanded out, treated, primed and painted etc?

Any advice, most welcome.

Can you drive a manual? Most would suggest buying the manual over the auto.

There are a lot of 350z's on the market, more listed each day.  If you're not really sold on it being a convertible why not wait a few weeks for the correct one to pop up.

Bubbling can be treated yes, it may be worse than it appears on the surface though.  Work out how much it would cost to fix (worst case scenario) and then use that to haggle the price of the car.

The rear arches on the older zeds are becoming a problem now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and to be honest you’ll find that the bubbling is the start and rust will need cutting out and new metal welding in to totally get rid at a cost of up to £1000 at least for both sides.

Thanks for getting back to me.. 

I do need an Auto, i can drive a manual but i had an op on my leg a few years ago and changing gear now brings on spasms after a few minutes, its not possible to drive a manual anymore ;-( 

I have seen a fair few 350z's about, i suppose im impatient ha ha.. this one just ticks every box really, and i'm warming to the idea of a convertible, just those arches really.. 

Cheers 

I guess it depends what you want, to buy a zed in near perfect condition and hope to avoid any expensive maintenance costs, or to get behind the wheel now and pay a bit extra to get any issues resolved.

my head said wait, but my heart found a zed 4 months before i'd hit my target on savings. i wound up getting a cheap zed and putting a lot of money into doing it up. i'm not gonna say that was a wise choice, but as i have good cash flow it's a choice i've not regretted.

Steer clear of rust!!

Youll spend a few quid to get rid of it, and as others have said unless it’s cut out and removed completely it will reappear.

As for the automatic, go for it, I’ve got the auto box with the 3.7

Its a decent box, smooth changes, gets more aggressive in the Sport mode, and if you use the paddles or lever to change cogs the magics inside the eco even give you a quick blip of the throttle on down changes.

Im a convertible fan, ours has been in open format every day of late, you can’t beat it 

Hi there. As a roadster owner myself I can tell you one thing. Just go for it :thumbs:

I was like you never considered a convertible before and to be honest I thought that I don't even like them lol. My missus convinced me to go for the open top feel and I can reassure you it is totally worth it. The sound of the V6 with the roof down never gets old. The coupe might be a bit better on track etc but honestly on city and everyday driving you won't even notice the difference. I'm well impressed with the handling and I don't think is lacking much in comparison.

About the auto box I don't really know as mine is a manual but I don't think is a horrible box in any way. 

Rust is the only issue you need to consider in my opinion. The money you need to spend to fix it you might as well spend it on wheels maintenance or any other mods you might fancy. What is your price range of you don't mind asking?

Edited by Panoz33
  • Like 1

At the moment i have about £4.5k but obviously if i save a bit more, then id be happy to spend £6k or so.. 

Im not going to buy the car i was looking at, i checked it out and found the MOT is due in November, but it is currently un taxed and Sorned, it is also a Cat C too.. 

I have this feeling that if i bought it, when it came to having an MOT, something dodgy would happen and it all seems a bit odd.. ill hold out and save a bit more. 

You will have fun with the roadster for sure. The roof itself is electric so at least you can sit and open it without having to spin around on your seat and manually flip it over etc.

This weather is amazing for it, roof down everywhere and it's just sheer fun and enjoyment, jealous looks from all directions! In the winter I find it just the same as any other car, just keep the roof up.