Only 332bhp after tune, mid pipe and short tails

Lincs_Zed

Morning

Quick description i suppose. 2009 370z GT Ultimate with 76,000 on it. Recently bought the AAM short tails but when going to fit them saw that the midpipe flanges were rusted so bought the AAM midpipe aswell. Now the AAM website claims that the combination of midpipe and short tails results in around 22whp over stock.

Took my car to get ECUTEK with the new exhaust already fitted and the first dyno run showed 322, after the tune 332.

What are your thoughts? Was i wrong to be expecting more? i know the stock cats are restrictive.

To get a fair representation of the exhaust gains surely you'd have to dyno the car before and after fitting? 

You already had the exhaust fitted before you had it mapped so the tune is just optimising the car to the mods you've got. 

Anyways I always take any bhp gain figures with a pinch of salt considering a lot of them claim ridiculous figures for stuff like inductions kits :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lincs_Zed said:

Now the AAM website claims that the combination of midpipe and short tails results in around 22whp over stock.

Took my car to get ECUTEK with the new exhaust already fitted and the first dyno run showed 322, after the tune 332.

What are your thoughts? Was i wrong to be expecting more? i know the stock cats are restrictive.

I am sorry to be brutally honest but i have no idea why people believe these manufacturer claims, in this case around 22whp, that could mean anything from 1 - 22 imho.

22whp on a naturally aspirated car from just an exhaust, i would like to see it. All dynos read different buddy, they are tuning tool, take the figures with a pinch of salt, if the car drives better thats all you should be concerned with, dyno figures are just pub bragging rights :)

5 hours ago, Lincs_Zed said:

Morning

Quick description i suppose. 2009 370z GT Ultimate with 76,000 on it. Recently bought the AAM short tails but when going to fit them saw that the midpipe flanges were rusted so bought the AAM midpipe aswell. Now the AAM website claims that the combination of midpipe and short tails results in around 22whp over stock.

Which dyno was it and was it a hub dyno etc. Show us the chart 

As always, area under the line is more important than peak BHP improvement which really doesn't show anything. You want to see daylight between pre and post tune lines all through the rev range, a car with a bigger peak BHP increase than another might not necessarily be faster or better to drive if the overall curve is poor.

• Like 1

We should really have a sticky for Dyno discussion, save repeating the same thing every time someone isnt happy with a read out!

Maybe someone like HDev or Abbey could do a write up on what to or not to expect, what they actually use the dyno for etc etc

Edited by Jetpilot

Exactly if the mapper has got consistent gains across the rev range it will feel faster which is what you want. The number 332 is largely irrelevant as you do not have 332 at all times only for that fleeting moment when you are at those particular revs. Does the graph look improved? Ideally you will also see flattening, removes any troughs etc.

I recently put hfcs on my car, no tune and when you hit the 4000 rpm in any gear, you would think somebody had shoved a rocket up its arse, I just love that instant power as if the car was going into turbo mode, so as the guys have said as long as you can feel the car and get a buzz out of it , your winning   :#1: