MPS Question

puffingbilly

I need 4 new tyres but finding a single place with matching fronts and rears seems a problem, black circle and Asda. Seems I can get MPS4-S for the rear and MPS4 for the front.

Would this be ok? Also I see other posts mention super sport but can’t find these.

The existing rears are 285 and the previous owner said they filled the arches better but does 5mm really make that much difference?

Are GY Eagle f1 an option, they seem to have a much lower noise rating and have gained an evo mag award.

sorry if they are dumb questions......

existing tyres are conti’s

i doubt I’ll be tracking.

cheers

I run mps4s all round on mine they are somthing else here's what ekona told me I can confirm car runs great no issue.

I chose the later :thumbs:

Okay, so I'd go with either:

245/35/19

275/30/19

OR

255/35/19

285/35/19

Both in MPS4S, both within the tolerance. Personally I'd go for the latter, but your call. 

^^^ That. :) 

Don't mix MPS4S and MPS4, they're radically different tyres. Some people love the Eagle F1s, personally I've found them excellent in the dry but shocking in the wet with poor feel, however I do concede I'm in the minority there. MPS4 better than Eagle F1 by far all round, so go to the MPS4S and you're laughing.

I have mps which I fitted years ago after my falkens, I honestly didn't find them that much better, they are better yes but I don't push the car to its limits. I have good year Eagle f1 asymmetric 3s on my 650i gc and they feel great but then it's a bigger car and they're runflat so not much help :p

With all due respect, if you can’t feel the obvious difference between MPSS and (I’m assuming) FK453, then you’re really not helping anyone by commenting here. Add in the fact you find runflats great...

Sorry, I know that sounds harsh and for once I genuinely don’t mean it to be, I just can’t think of a better way to phrase it this early on a Sunday. Obviously all contributions are always welcome on a forum, I just get a little concerned when people offer up specific advice when it’s clear their knowledge on the subject matter is limited. 

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

With all due respect, if you can’t feel the obvious difference between MPSS and (I’m assuming) FK453, then you’re really not helping anyone by commenting here. Add in the fact you find runflats great...

Sorry, I know that sounds harsh and for once I genuinely don’t mean it to be, I just can’t think of a better way to phrase it this early on a Sunday. Obviously all contributions are always welcome on a forum, I just get a little concerned when people offer up specific advice when it’s clear their knowledge on the subject matter is limited. 

I think you'll find its incredibly useful to hear both sides of the coin. All too often people post about x or y totally transforming the car when your average person finds there's really not much difference at all. Biggest difference in tyres I've felt was going from the original Bridgestone to the falkens it had, that's a fact in terms of my own personal experience are mpss better? Without a doubt all the reviews and comparisons say that but is it a huge step for me from what I had before? No. Biggest single thing that 'transformed the car' for me so far is flyboys airbox mod, that smoothed out all the throttle response and just generally made the car feel more complete. That said I don't track the car I don't race it I go for a few spirited drives in dry conditions. People can use that info as they please. 

Not sure what's wrong with runflats they feel absolutely fine, the car isn't built to be flung round corners it glides smoothly and happily along on them. 

That's my point: If you cannot feel just how much better MPSS are than FL453 (is this correct? Saying Falkens is like saying your Nissan is amazing, when it could be a Micra or a GTR!) then you're not massively in a position to offer a reasoned viewpoint. What Bridgestones? The RE050A are much better than the 453s, but the 453s are better than the 040s so you need to be precise with what your comparing. Again, it's the whole Micra/GTR thing. Maybe you're right, maybe the average person wouldn't notice, but we're supposed to be enthusiasts on here and should be offering accurate and detailed advice, not generic opinions that would apply equally to Granny Dora with her 1.1L Corsa. I don't just recommend MPSS/PS4/PS4S for their performance benefits either: I do it because they also offer ridiculously decent wear rates, so even if you only ever pootle around you'd notice the benefit of increased times between changing tyres, which more than offsets the higher purchase price. See, I can do practical as well as performance :) 

Runflats are shocking things. By their very nature they add harshness to the ride of any vehicle, and they're the first thing I ditched on my old 6er. 

I'm really not trying to start an argument, even though it sounds like I'm doing my best :lol: tbh it's not aimed at you personally, this is something that happens a lot on here and I don't feel that it's something we should always be encouraging. Yes, I'm all for people saying that 453s are better than 040s as that's night and day, but then so is the difference between 453 and MPSS and if you can tell the difference between the first, you should be able to tell the difference between the latter.

13 minutes ago, Ekona said:

That's my point: If you cannot feel just how much better MPSS are than FL453 (is this correct? Saying Falkens is like saying your Nissan is amazing, when it could be a Micra or a GTR!) then you're not massively in a position to offer a reasoned viewpoint. What Bridgestones? The RE050A are much better than the 453s, but the 453s are better than the 040s so you need to be precise with what your comparing. Again, it's the whole Micra/GTR thing. Maybe you're right, maybe the average person wouldn't notice, but we're supposed to be enthusiasts on here and should be offering accurate and detailed advice, not generic opinions that would apply equally to Granny Dora with her 1.1L Corsa. I don't just recommend MPSS/PS4/PS4S for their performance benefits either: I do it because they also offer ridiculously decent wear rates, so even if you only ever pootle around you'd notice the benefit of increased times between changing tyres, which more than offsets the higher purchase price. See, I can do practical as well as performance :) 

Runflats are shocking things. By their very nature they add harshness to the ride of any vehicle, and they're the first thing I ditched on my old 6er. 

I'm really not trying to start an argument, even though it sounds like I'm doing my best :lol: tbh it's not aimed at you personally, this is something that happens a lot on here and I don't feel that it's something we should always be encouraging. Yes, I'm all for people saying that 453s are better than 040s as that's night and day, but then so is the difference between 453 and MPSS and if you can tell the difference between the first, you should be able to tell the difference between the latter.

I believe the bridgestones were the 50a? The falkens I want to say 452? They would have been about 5-6 years ago so not the recent ones people moaned about.

I read all the reviews I bought the mpss for that reason I was just disappointed. Like everything it's diminishing returns. I'm not saying they're not a great a tyre or any of the reviews are wrong just I didn't put them on and think wow I was expecting more. 

As for the runflats it's the new 6 with adaptive suspension floats like a cloud for me. I read plenty of articles when it came time to replace them about people swapping out the flats and it was something I seriously considered until I read a piece pointing out everyone who is doing this is driving older bmw, very few people with new cars are swapping out runflats and it's symptom of the older cars not being setup from factory to best use them. So i stuck with them and glad I did. 

• 2 months later...
On 22/07/2018 at 13:40, puffingbilly said:

MPS4S it is then.....

thanks all

Yup, I wholeheartedly agree with this, I went to MPSS from the standard fitment bridgestones and the difference was very notciable, I then went from MPSS to MPS4S and the step was also very noticable esepcailly when pushing on in the wet. It was almost like it wasn't wet.......almost :)