andybp

DIY Air Ride Suspension

Well that sucks, liked the video though :thumbs:

Look forwards to seeing the Mk2 :)

Haha that was a brilliant end to the video. Its the kinda thing that braided lines are meant to stop (if i understood the failure mode right). Could you get some braiding and braid the line yourself?

Otherwise, looks brilliant, nice and slow and controllable!

Im guessing this hose wouldn't be correct? 

300 mm 1/8 inch BSP and meant for carrying gas. I dont know if you wanted male or female though. It seems like googling "airbrush hose" gets you the right things, i think

https://www.manomano.co.uk/compressor-accessories/sealey-ggh300-rubber-delivery-hose-flexible-300mm-1-8bsp-gas-1401120

Edited by cs2000

13 hours ago, Keyser said:

Well that sucks, liked the video though :thumbs:

Look forwards to seeing the Mk2 :)

actually that was the mk2 the mk1 worked fine but I had to go and tweak it :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cs2000 said:

Haha that was a brilliant end to the video. Its the kinda thing that braided lines are meant to stop (if i understood the failure mode right). Could you get some braiding and braid the line yourself?

Otherwise, looks brilliant, nice and slow and controllable!

Im guessing this hose wouldn't be correct? 

300 mm 1/8 inch BSP and meant for carrying gas. I dont know if you wanted male or female though. It seems like googling "airbrush hose" gets you the right things, i think

https://www.manomano.co.uk/compressor-accessories/sealey-ggh300-rubber-delivery-hose-flexible-300mm-1-8bsp-gas-1401120

if you look on the sealey site it's listed as a grease gun hose so probably stick with the current nylon airline for now :)

• Like 1

Ahh OK, well the other option is to go full AN spec.

Each pipe would need

https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/fuel-hose-fittings-and-separators_10061_straightptfe-swivel-end-fittings.html

2x  - PTFE-S-6 BK

https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/fuel-hose-fittings-and-separators_9957_an-to-nptmale-adaptors.html

2x - ADAP-6-1/8NPT

and the length of tubing you need in PTFE stainless braid

https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/braided-fuel-hoses_9864_ptfe-hoses-t-e-f-l-o-n-braided-stailess-steel-fuel-hose-fuel-brakes.html

PTFE-06 HOSE

That hose is rated for 12,000 PSI working pressure. But, it may not be worth the time/investment ;)

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

This project is still ongoing if a little slowly

I have made a new controller which is slightly more compact ( just for you @cs2000 ) and has proper connectors unlike the prototype sorry I only have this picture

IMG_20180923_145045.jpg.c159759e8a5de7a0b6587b24c669ac90.jpg

and have devised a way to and fitted the rear level sensors

IMG_20180927_120318.jpg.93537450ff8e5d1353b45fa35ba72f0e.jpg

IMG_20180927_153339.jpg.d08b9b9c9d1906f48fd085e1a407b2aa.jpg

hopefully I will get these wired into the controller on sunday as I'm working tomorrow :(

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, andybp said:

IMG_20180923_145045.jpg.c159759e8a5de7a0b6587b24c669ac90.jpg

Err sorry but the cable ties are not the same way round - please build another one :lol:

Looks like its getting there though, keep up the good work mate  :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha thanks, like the new design with some good connectors! Am pleased youre still working away on this. Following witn interest as usual :)

At least you can spin your own boards, i dont know how, always have to order mine from the far east. One mistake on a track means a 2 week wait for new boards :( 

:tumbleweed:

On 28/09/2018 at 21:30, andybp said:

hopefully I will get these wired into the controller on sunday as I'm working tomorrow :(

Is it Sunday yet??

;):lol:

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2018 at 21:19, Keyser said:

:tumbleweed:

Is it Sunday yet??

;):lol:

Sorry I'm a bit behind Sunday's been and gone several times and in all honesty I'm not much further forward :blush:

You know what it's like life and work get in the way of playing with the Z. The rear level sensors are all connected and working and I've been optimising the software also thought I was having a lot of trouble getting the front level until I realised the passenger side wing has been damaged in the past and the top of the arch is a centimeter higher than the other side just going to ignore that for the time being

also the suspension seemed a bit rattly turns out the rose jointed drop links I made up the other year have worn not sure if they were poor quality or just because they were open but I've re-done them with good quality german sealed units

IMG_20181011_165214.jpg.efce2bc1cc8b789bf67ee10adb34ef79.jpg

also dropped the anti roll bar while I had them off and fitted the poly bushes I've had laying around for ages

IMG_20181013_132420.jpg.a9cdd8b6d848e8615d83f82c5359b021.jpg

also I've changed where I work, same company just closer to home but more importantly I now have access to a triple garage with an air compressor and a pit :yahoo:

• Like 3

Ok I'm a bit behind with this project  it is progressing but other stuff keeps getting in the way

I've been working my way through changing all of the standard bushes for poly bushes this was not a choice as all the standard bonded rubber bushes are failing they are all original and I'm guessing the additional travel of the air ride setup was just too much for them something to bear in mind if anyone is considering this @cs2000 I have been media blasting the suspension arms before refitting, so doing a proper job.

still haven't got the front sensors fitted but I have fitted an additional small battery near the compressor as I was having some issues as it turns out the main battery was knackered which I have now changed but will leave the smaller one in because why not it's there now

• Like 3