andybp

DIY Air Ride Suspension

5 hours ago, cs2000 said:

Im absolutely loving this topic. Any chance you could write up a guide and parts list once complete? I know its likely to be pretty "full on" but at literally 2k cheaper than commercial options, im willing to give it a read. As for your incentive, you could whip up a few sets of brackets on your CNC machine and sell them with the guide so people to copy your system :)

I have the same coilovers as you and am literally fed up of smashing every speed bump in sight to the point where i barely use the car unless i 100% know theirs no speed bumps along the route!

sure I can sort something out for you once I'm happy with the setup. Going to make a custom pcb for the electronic side when I get a chance and do away with all the relays I only mention this as I know you're partial to an arduino 

:)

14 hours ago, andybp said:

sure I can sort something out for you once I'm happy with the setup. Going to make a custom pcb for the electronic side when I get a chance and do away with all the relays I only mention this as I know you're partial to an arduino 

Haha guilty, along with PCB design ;) Happy to assist if you need help

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Well I've got the rear all up and running but it's taken most of the weekend as I had lots of problems with the electronic side of things turns out it was back emf from the valve block causing spurious problems which shouldn't have happened as they are all driven from mechanical relays which are immune from such issues unfortunately the electronics driving the relays seems somewhat sensitive anyway I've frigged it for now and will build my own, I have managed to get the front coilovers removed and fitted with air springs and back on today but I need to route the airlines before I can try them

So that's my excuse for a lack of pictures, I've been too busy trying to get it to work will try and get some pics tomorrow.

• Like 1

Those Mechanical relays boards are normally pretty good, but general overkill for what i have needed in the past, They're usually fully opto isolated etc which sometimes is needed, other times not and can complicate matters. On my VDC/Traction control boards im just protecting from back EMF with a simple diode across the relay coils, seems to work well.

Looking at your boards, your original solid state relays weren't opto isolated., the new ones (blue relays are) but i cant see any EMF diode on the board in the photo you've put up.

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Edited by cs2000

got the fronts connected up today had a few air leaks but still got a few issues I don't think I fitted the top o-ring properly so will have to strip them out again tomorrow as the fronts only hold air for about 2 hrs then the Z's on the floor the rear are good been up for 2 days

This is the front installed

IMG_20180820_112634.jpg.c5ee53a0d6fd949b662d137b56bc76d9.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like it would raise the front so high.

What does the min and max height look like?

Awesome work

Edited by Daisyduke

16 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

That looks like it would raise the front so high.

What does the min and max height look like?

Awesome work

not sure on max height but as it's set up now it pretty much sits on the floor at it's lowest in fact it is right now as the air has pretty much all leaked out :lol:

hope to get that sorted tomorrow

Edited by andybp

Hey Andy, this is great :thumbs: 

Awesome re-purposing of fire extinguishers ..and of course use of Arduino.

• Thanks 1

Looks amazing! Hope you get the air leaks sorted, then we need some propper external photos and videos too. Is the pump loud?? I always imagine them sounding like a garage air compressor!

3 minutes ago, cs2000 said:

Looks amazing! Hope you get the air leaks sorted, then we need some propper external photos and videos too. Is the pump loud?? I always imagine them sounding like a garage air compressor!

all seems to be holding air now. controller is temperamental ,same emf issues but I have designed a new one just need to make the pcb.

The compressor is a bit noisy hopefully will be a bit quieter when everything's back together lots to do yet