Clutch help?

Hey guys, 

Wondering if someone can offer advice. 

So my clutch makes a noise in neutral, except when the pedal is depressed.

I can't say if it has been like it since I've had it, but I started noticing it at some point, and it has definitely become louder since. 

My mechanic and another random car affiliated individual have both said there is something up with the release bearing, and that it is on the way out having listened to it. 

Having read some threads on the forums however it seems a fair number of people suffer from a similar noise, so I'm now confused as to whether I need to fork out for a new clutch and flywheel. 

To reiterate, it is louder than it was a few months ago, which is why I don't want to just let it slide. 

Ok thanks Alex, you are an eternal fount of useful knowledge, unlike my mechanic apparently!

If either of the 2 things you suggested above were making a noise, and slowly increasing in volume over the space of months, should I assume that I need to replace clutch/flywheel anyway? 

I'm not aware of any place locally, but I get my info from the forums mostly and the majority of owners are to the north or London way so there just might not be anybody I guess. HDev are about 110 miles, but I don't fancy driving that far just for someone to listen to my clutch and say yes or no if I can avoid it! 

As Alex has said it wont be the release/throwout bearing. It is most likely a bearing along the input shaft of the gearbox.

My 2004 Z with 75k miles has the exact same noise/symptoms, although mine isnt getting any louder :surrender:. Do you know when you last changed the gearbox oil?

Same here with the moly. Don't suppose a firmer transmission mount would be making anything worse? Either way I guess I need to look at aftermarket clutch and smf.