What's going on with windows up/down from the keyfob?

Panoz33

Hello all. I tried to search for an answer and couldn't find anything. Also didn't know which topic would be the best to ask that so if mods think it should be moved then please do.

Now with the question. As I looked in several other forums mainly us and on YouTube, apparently some Z can roll the windows up or down without you need to be in the car with the ignition on. If I'm correct you can roll the windows down when you hold the unlock button on the keyfob but to roll them back up you need to put the key in the lock and hold it in the locking position.

My car which is a 2006 roadster doesn't do that. Is it because is roadster or this feature was only in the US cars? Maybe anything to do with production year?

It would be nice if anyone of you know why some cars can do it and some others can't. Also is there any way I can activate that feature without aftermarket alarm system.

Any help is very much appreciated. 

Edited by Panoz33

Thanks for tagging me Paul. Youre semi correct. I Was working on something for this indeed, but theirs no safe way to do it in UK Vehicles.

The window switch itself actually controls the windows, it deals wtih knowing when they're at the top and bottom of their travel, aswell as the anti pinch system. My module can indeed  close the windows when the car is locked, but it can not do safely. The anti pinch system is bypassed and the motor runs for X seconds (however long i set) and obviously eventually is trying to push a window that is likely already closed, so i have abandoned the project, but working on 2 other things.

The Later model cars (rev up on wards i believe) can roll the windows up or down (cant remember) by pressing and then holding the lock/unlock button on the fob.

US delivered vehicles can roll up the windows by inserting the key into lock barrel on the door and holding this locked for a couple of seconds. The UK card have the wiring for this, but the ECU doesnt have the necessary code in it (or maybe just not enabled) to activate the feature.

• Thanks 1

That's extremely helpful information and very detailed. Thank you very much @cs2000

At least know we known what is going on with the windows. Please let us know if you come to any new developments about this. Appreciate it man :thumbs:

9 minutes ago, Panoz33 said:

That's extremely helpful information and very detailed. Thank you very much @cs2000

At least know we known what is going on with the windows. Please let us know if you come to any new developments about this. Appreciate it man :thumbs:

I dont like abandoning projects and its something that ive put a LOT of time into developing and pulled favours with friends with knowledge in the automotive electrics arena, so im kinda bummed about it, but its just the way it is.

That, and i now know more about what the switch does because in testing i blew mine up and had my drivers window stuck half down for 4 days whilst i ordered a replacement!