Cleaning Advice

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Nissan 370Z Nismo and am wanting some tips on just giving it a general wash. 

I'd particularly like advice on what sort of cloths to use, product recommendations for Shampooing, window cleaning and wheel cleaning.

I'm going to get the car professionally valeted regularly, but want to be able to just give it a good clean myself in between.

One query I do have is in relation to the exhaust tail pipes. The inside of them are looking a bit dirty. Is there a product available that can be used to clean these as well?

Thanks.

I'll just treat my new car to a new sponge to keep it clean....

A large chunk of change later....

Many people will have favourite products, there are a lot out there. Personally i tried the Bilt Hamber Auto Wash that recommends you only use 1 teaspoon per v large bucket( please say that you are using the 2 bucket method-if not 3??) anyway, one teaspoon of the concentrate does indeed make enough bubbles and washes nicely:D I went for the G-techniq adhesive and tar remover, G-techniq g6 glass cleaner . Korrosil fallout remover. Opted to go for a clay mitt rather than a clay bar and valet Pro citrus for clay lub/ final panel wipe. G-Techniq wash mitt. Bilt Hamber double speed wax:surrender:takes a deep breath...forget the name of the drying towel, but it's big and it er, dries the car really well, a pack of 20 MF cloths, a brush for the fiddly bits..AND, still debating what to clean my pipes with, so will order something when i order some Valet Pro Citrus bling as a pre wash.

Practiced on the other half's car first, she was mightily impressed. "It looks brand new" she said.

Anyway, it all began with needing a new sponge...

As above everyone says their products are the best, but of course they would otherwise why would they use them :lol: 

But some good practice is most important. Two buckets. MF cloths ideally edgeless and remove any washing labels that are attached to them. Don't wash in direct sunlight. You want as little dragging across the paint as possible. Make good use of snow foams if possible. Etc.

For the inside of the exhaust its slightly easier on my car as I can put my hand inside it comfortably but I generally clean it with a soft brush with shampoo then finish it with a cloth and metal polish. Doesn't stay clean for very long though!

Thanks for the advice guys. That helps a lot. 

I'm a detailing novice, so I haven't really got much knowledge of all the products available and which ones are better than others.  Just wanted some general advice so I can at least clean my new zed properly using the correct methods.

I haven't got the patience for polishing and waxing. But I'm quite happy to get it professionally valeted from time to time.

Go & lose yourself on Detailing World & spend some time on there. What works for other novices may not work with you. Don't get sucked into all the brand snobbery too, you don't need to spend a silly amount of money on products if you're just getting to know the difference between a detailing spray & ceramic coating ect..

Good luck;).

Wash: 2 buckets - go anywhere but detailing shops for these. Even Halfords will do on this occasion.

Microfibre washmitt/pad (depending on preference).

Gyeon Bathe+.

If you live in an area with hard water and waterspotting is enough to bother you then then cheapest option is a drying towel (Polished Bliss per the below), otherwise a water filter  (Daqua)if less effort is more important than budget.

Glass cleaner - GTechniq G6 or Car Chem Glass Cleaner from @G1en@waxandshine

Wheels - Get your valeter to protect them properly and just use shampoo and water to clean.

Cloths - just get this http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-towel-bundle-cat1.html which covers everything you'll need on the car and more between professional valets.

Inside of the exhaust is a losing battle if you actually drive the car more than polish it, so I wouldn't bother personally, but if you must then get the Britemax Metal twins. Clean and protect in one go (well, two goes). Make your life easier and get a polishing ball to use on a drill (and any cheap drill if you don't have one all already). If there's a bit of built up already you might find you need a metal polish with more cut and/or fine (0000 grade) wire wool to tidy it up first, then it's just a case of keeping on top of it.   

That should be all you need in terms of products really, although you may want to look into a pre-wash (like this) for a safer wash. Anything else is going to be overkill if you're paying someone to do it properly for you as well. 

Beyond that it's all technique for a safe wash. As already mentioned, don't wash in direct sunlight or on hot panels. The more dirt you can remove without touching the car the better. When you are doing a contact wash, keep the mitt/pad clean - rinse it out in a separate bucket regularly, keep your wash and rinse buckets separate - and when drying pat rather than drag the cloth over the surface. Bathe+ isn't a particularly sudsy shampoo but it's incredibly well lubricated with is actually important (unlike the amount of bubbles produced!) so don't be put off and stick to the dilution rates it suggests.

Number one thing to remember; everything is easier to clean if it's properly protected at all times!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Wash: 2 buckets - go anywhere but detailing shops for these. Even Halfords will do on this occasion.

Microfibre washmitt/pad (depending on preference).

Gyeon Bathe+.

If you live in an area with hard water and waterspotting is enough to bother you then then cheapest option is a drying towel (Polished Bliss per the below), otherwise a water filter  (Daqua)if less effort is more important than budget.

Glass cleaner - GTechniq G6 or Car Chem Glass Cleaner from @G1en@waxandshine

Wheels - Get your valeter to protect them properly and just use shampoo and water to clean.

Cloths - just get this http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-towel-bundle-cat1.html which covers everything you'll need on the car and more between professional valets.

Inside of the exhaust is a losing battle if you actually drive the car more than polish it, so I wouldn't bother personally, but if you must then get the Britemax Metal twins. Clean and protect in one go (well, two goes). Make your life easier and get a polishing ball to use on a drill (and any cheap drill if you don't have one all already). If there's a bit of built up already you might find you need a metal polish with more cut and/or fine (0000 grade) wire wool to tidy it up first, then it's just a case of keeping on top of it.   

That should be all you need in terms of products really, although you may want to look into a pre-wash (like this) for a safer wash. Anything else is going to be overkill if you're paying someone to do it properly for you as well. 

Beyond that it's all technique for a safe wash. As already mentioned, don't wash in direct sunlight or on hot panels. The more dirt you can remove without touching the car the better. When you are doing a contact wash, keep the mitt/pad clean - rinse it out in a separate bucket regularly, keep your wash and rinse buckets separate - and when drying pat rather than drag the cloth over the surface. Bathe+ isn't a particularly sudsy shampoo but it's incredibly well lubricated with is actually important (unlike the amount of bubbles produced!) so don't be put off and stick to the dilution rates it suggests.

Number one thing to remember; everything is easier to clean if it's properly protected at all times!

+1 for Gyeon Bathe+. Wet Coat is great afterwards also, very hydrophobic.

All of Gyeon's products are superb.

Some of my personal favourites;

Snow Foam - Bilt Hamber Auto Foam / Auto Finesse Avalanche

Deep Clean Wash - Bilt Hamber Auto Wash

General Wash - Auto Finesse Lather

Top-up Wash - Gyeon Bathe+ & Gyeon Wet Coat

Wash & Wax - Meguiars Wash & Wax

Iron Remover - Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel / Autoglym Magma

Wheel Cleaner - Autobrite Very Cherry

Detailer - Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine << highly recommend just after drying your car / Gleem Freaks QD

Wheel Sealants - Poorboys Wheel Sealant / Auto Finesse Mint Rims

Tyre Dressings - Sams Detailing Tyre Shine / Meguiars Endurance (though takes a while to dry but looks great)

Synthetic Wax - Meguiars Synthetic Liquid Wax << Really good stuff and easy to remove.

Wax - Autoglym HD Wax / Autoglym Ultra HD Wax << both fantastic / Soft 99 Authentic Premium 

Vinyl & Plastic Cleaner - Auto Finesse Spritz & Gyeon Q2M Preserve

Fabric Cleaner - Autobrite FAB Cleaner

Sealants - Gleem Freaks Nano Coat

Glass Cleaner - Alien Magic Diamond Glass Cleaner

Leather Cleaner & Conditioners - Gliptone Leather Cleaner / Gliptone Conditioner 

Metal Polish - Autosol Metal Polish / Auto Finesse Metal Polish

Clay Bar - Medium Compund (Auto Finesse) w/ Glide as lubricant but could use any detailer also..

It's easy to start building a collection... :lol:

Edited by Killick.z

23 hours ago, N1ck said:

I'll just treat my new car to a new sponge to keep it clean....

A large chunk of change later....

Many people will have favourite products, there are a lot out there. Personally i tried the Bilt Hamber Auto Wash that recommends you only use 1 teaspoon per v large bucket( please say that you are using the 2 bucket method-if not 3??) anyway, one teaspoon of the concentrate does indeed make enough bubbles and washes nicely:D I went for the G-techniq adhesive and tar remover, G-techniq g6 glass cleaner . Korrosil fallout remover. Opted to go for a clay mitt rather than a clay bar and valet Pro citrus for clay lub/ final panel wipe. G-Techniq wash mitt. Bilt Hamber double speed wax:surrender:takes a deep breath...forget the name of the drying towel, but it's big and it er, dries the car really well, a pack of 20 MF cloths, a brush for the fiddly bits..AND, still debating what to clean my pipes with, so will order something when i order some Valet Pro Citrus bling as a pre wash.

Practiced on the other half's car first, she was mightily impressed. "It looks brand new" she said.

Anyway, it all began with needing a new sponge...

For god sake please don't use a sponge in this day and age. Use a wash mitt with two bucket method. Poorboys interior cleaner I find is brilliant for my Nismo.

2 bucket wash for defnite.....also a fan of the BH autowash

also BH autofoam, in the snowfoam cannon

i've recently gone to Microfibre Madness incredipads away from lambswool mitts as you can just bung them in the washer (non bio wash liquid, not powder)

dry with a microfibre drying towel (im using the liquid elements silverback).

Rag company Eagle edgless microfibres are the nuts for buffing off wax and QD 

Poorboys - nattys black wax is what i use for the paint

Carpro PERL for tyres and any other plastics

recently i've been using Angelwax QED as a QD..its nice and not to expensive, and Angelwax Vision glass cleaner with a coating of their H2Go glass sealer as well for the Glass (Obvs)

Don't worry Payco, my wash mitt and drying towel are treated as my 2nd and 3rd most looked after possessions.

Will try the Poorboys interior cleaner though, i seem to have a white powdery residue on the door cards that's stubborn.( I'm a bit worried as to exactly what the white powder is....)

Back to the OP though-Sirius, if you are going to get the car valeted and simply want to do a "maintenance wash" in between a valet, then still do as everyone has said. Minimum 2 buckets with grit guards,a decent shampoo,plus a decent mitt and drying towel will see you through. Having just shelled out on a sweet Nismo the last thing you want to do is wash it with fairy liquid, with a sponge, using a dirty bucket!

Edit, Payco, do you mean:-http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/poorboys/natural-look-interior-dressing.aspx?utm_source=Google&amp;utm_medium=shopping&amp;utm_campaign=MerchantCentre&amp;variant=1439&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMImcSBrq2c3AIVQkAbCh3SDgHdEAQYASABEgLlkfD_BwE

Edited by N1ck
  • Like 1

I always have a PB big towel for main work - think its about a tenner on the site, its fantastic. For general stuff you cannot go too far wrong either with Kent yellow towels on ebay.

Its well worth reading up though, watching YT vids etc for tips. I remember in my area struggling a bit with water spots but then discovering the effect of using Sonax XBS as I dry the car, what a difference it made, wouldnt do it any other way now.

Not sure what your car parking situation is but I bought a Worx Hydroshot as I park on the road, it really helps with all the efforts on looking after the car, and comes apart and easy to store literally in the space of a small bucket.

Jet washing is fine, so long as your technique is. Don’t work perpendicular to the surface, don’t get too close and obviously stay miles away from anything that’s rusting/bubbling/peeling. There’s no need to run a PW at super high pressure, it won’t lift stubborn grime even point blank, you’ll need to get hands on for that, so there’s no point trying to blast it off.

Agree with Superstu. I use a jet washer and a snow foam lance with no issues. Try the Poorboys interior cleaner as you said. It’s pale blue when you look it up, smells lovely. Ironically my advice is to apply it with a nice new sponge due to the surface of the dash on the 350z, it works it in a treat.

Fairy liquid and a kitchen scourer for me innit. 

When you say “professional valet regularly”, what do you actually mean? How often, and what are you expecting them to do? Who are you going to use?

In answer to your question Ekona. I don't mind washing my car, I'll do that regularly. I just haven't got the patience for all the other processes like clay barring, polishing, waxing. So my solution is to simply get a professional valeter to do a full valet on the car now and again. I've checked online and there are a few in my area that do a comprehensive valet that includes the extras I mentioned.

Personally, I think you’d be wasting your money if you go down that route. All you need to do is to get a pro to polish your car once, then apply a coating of whatever takes your fancy. If you’re then happy to do the basics yourself, and do it well, you simply won’t need to hire a pro again. 

Saying that, waxing really isn’t something I’d ever pay someone else to do, not when you can do it yourself in an hour once a month (and that’s dragging it out!). 

44 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Saying that, waxing really isn’t something I’d ever pay someone else to do, not when you can do it yourself in an hour once a month (and that’s dragging it out!). 

My gooch alone takes an hour to wax, let alone the rest.

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Personally, I think you’d be wasting your money if you go down that route. All you need to do is to get a pro to polish your car once, then apply a coating of whatever takes your fancy. If you’re then happy to do the basics yourself, and do it well, you simply won’t need to hire a pro again.

Almost this.

Get someone decent to do a full and proper job on it, stump up for a ceramic coating. Wash it yourself for 2-5 years. Repeat as desired. The latest top-of-the-range Gyeon coatings should last towards 60 months and, when applied by certified detailers, come with an up-to-5 year warranty (some... 'questionable' terms & conditions apply, naturally).

I wouldn't polish more than once a year anyway (let alone paying for someone else to do that) and if you're not into your detailing there's little point in claying regularly either, not least of all because that'll just mean having to polish more often. Unless you have a lot of money to throw away, there's also a lot of better options than to get someone to slap on some wax once a month too.

I'm learning something new all the time with this thread. Lol. As a few of you have suggested, I think I will get someone to do a full and proper job on it, then just regularly wash it myself after that. I went to my local halfords today and have already stocked up on buckets, cloths, etc.

I never realized that detailing was so involved. It has peaked my interest though.

Have a look on the website for various product options, there's always offers running and give me a DM about anything specific.

Detailing is similar to modding though, once you get hooked.....

Unfortunately I have contracted both forms of the incurable disease. :stretcher:

• Haha 1