Rear arch rust repair

Ortega_9

Just took my freshly build car and decided that i wanted the rust in the rear arch gone. So put a grinder to it to see how bad it was.... 

and it was a bit worse than i had hoped for. It seems that the 2 layers of metal had opened between the spotwelds and held water. So it had corroded from the inside, and ran down between the metal, so bad that the outside was only the tip of the iceberg, and we ended up cutting a 10-12 inch piece out and had to make a new one from scratch.

welded it in and tinned it up. Then paint is booked for monday, and getting both rear quarters painted as we also folded and rolled the arches. 

Originally hadn't planned on Rolling the arches as i have no clearence issues, but wanted to see if there was any rust between the spotwelds on the other side aswell.

both sides had beginning rust issues. So i guess it's a problem on the 350z 

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, andybp said:

Maybe I need to stop ignoring mine :blush:

:)

I was suprised how bad it was.... thought it was a bad Stonechip that just needed to be Ground down and maybe tinned and painted. But it was pretty rotten underneth.

And all naked and ready for paint.

had to get rough with the antenne to get it off. The aluminium had ceased pretty god.

i'll have to get a new one.

and pulled the Stock sideskirts also, and found some surface rust that i will fix before putting it back together.

there's always something!

IMG_5721.JPG

On 15/07/2018 at 18:11, Flashback said:

I need to sort mine out too.  If only they were bolt on it'd be much easier to solve! :)

True.

it'S the worst part of having a +10year old motor.

but better get it done first than last.

mines ready for filler. There is a little High spot on the arch Line that needs to be corrected, Otherwise it's into paint tomorrow and back to the garage!

IMG_5738.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cs2000 said:

Wish i had the skills and the balls to do this. Ive been ignoring mine in the vain hope it will go away as quotes ive been getting are £1000+ to resolve the same issue (but on both sides).

£1000+ is probally in the steep end, but if it gets the problem solved for good, i Would consider.

i'm at about £500 so far. With metal and paint. Both sides. And i'm dooing most of the work myself.

On 17/07/2018 at 10:29, Ortega_9 said:

True.

it'S the worst part of having a +10year old motor.

but better get it done first than last.

mines ready for filler. There is a little High spot on the arch Line that needs to be corrected, Otherwise it's into paint tomorrow and back to the garage!

IMG_5738.JPG

It's looking great if you ask me. Some top work there.

On 18/07/2018 at 11:26, cs2000 said:

Wish i had the skills and the balls to do this. Ive been ignoring mine in the vain hope it will go away as quotes ive been getting are £1000+ to resolve the same issue (but on both sides).

OMG 2k quote?

And back in the stable.

really happy with the work.

it's pretty hard making a new piece for the fender Line from scratch, but looks like it's about right.

now i need to put her back together, and hopefully enjoy a few month of summer.

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

• Like 2