Silverthorn's MB 370z GT

Silverthorn

@davey_83 Yeah I'm very pleased with them mate. I know they're probably not to everyone's taste but they're based off of this car:

IMG_20180926_104452.jpg.1f6c205bacffd40d49db26c1bb4923c6.jpg

Its where alot of the inspiration for mine came from really! Absolutely love it. 

@mattross1313 haha cheers mate! To think I said I'd be keeping it to springs and spacers for the first year of ownership... I've only had it 8 months :lol:

I'm extremely happy with the plate. Especially since my initials are T J Silvethorn it fits perfectly! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Painted my headlights today. They look sooo much better now the shroud is black inside! :wub:

Very easy job overall. Took me about 3 hours spread out over 2 days from removing them from my car to fully installed again. I'm very surprised more haven't done it to be honest.

Hardrace adjustable front upper control arms installed the other day also. Just waiting to install my stiffer springs for my BC's over Christmas and then it's time for an alignment, again :doh::lol:

IMG_20181221_112617.jpg.47db744b4fa2c5697df5fd99e37330ab.jpg

IMG_20181221_142516.jpg.a3b976cb8107ffa4aba377d262e95c8b.jpg

• Like 4

Popped down Cheddar Gorge today for some photos since i knew it'd be nice and quiet as it's Christmas Eve. It's nice to have some half decent photos of the car when it isn't soaked or stupidly dirty :)

Very happy with how the car has progressed this year! Can't wait for 2019 though! Got quite a few good bits and pieces planned :thumbs:

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Edited by Silverthorn
  • Like 6

On 21/12/2018 at 14:36, Silverthorn said:

Painted my headlights today. They look sooo much better now the shroud is black inside! :wub:

Very easy job overall. Took me about 3 hours spread out over 2 days from removing them from my car to fully installed again. I'm very surprised more haven't done it to be honest.

Hardrace adjustable front upper control arms installed the other day also. Just waiting to install my stiffer springs for my BC's over Christmas and then it's time for an alignment, again :doh::lol:

IMG_20181221_112617.jpg.47db744b4fa2c5697df5fd99e37330ab.jpg

IMG_20181221_142516.jpg.a3b976cb8107ffa4aba377d262e95c8b.jpg

Missed this update 

They look great any details on the process 

The car looks awsome on the whole :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

@nissanman312 Cheers mate!

The process overall is relatively simple. I just took the bumper off, then disconnected the headlights and pulled them out as well. From memory there is 4 10mm hex bolts and some plastic push clips holding each headlight in. Once the headlight is out you can remove the Phillips screws (6 in total i think) holding the plastic lens to the headlight body then heat the sealant holding the two together. Some people put the headlight in the oven but i didn't fancy that as i didn't want to risk melting the headlight so i just used a heat gun. 5 or 10 minutes or so of heating the sealant and it'll be soft enough for you to pull the two apart. Plastic trim removal tools are really helpful during this!

Once the headlight is in two pieces you have to separate the piece shown in the picture below from the headlight plastic lens as they are fixed together. They're held together by a bunch Phillips screws as well. 

IMG_20181221_111426.jpg.e57080368be8dfca706a45268acf0db4.jpg

Once you've got that apart you can start stripping it down in to its individual components. It's all very self explanatory once you get the headlight off the car really so it's quite straight forward.

Then just paint it all up and pop it back together! For paint i just used one 300ml can of Halfords Plastic Primer and one 300ml can of Halfords Satin Black. I didn't use any lacquer as i didn't want the headlight internals to be shiny at all.

For putting it back together i re-used the original sealant as well as topping it up with some black silicone sealant in the places where there wasn't as much sealant as others. On mine the top and bottom of the headlight had plenty of sealant, whereas around the indicator there wasn't very much.

Once the old sealant has been reheated and the extra sealant has been added you can just pop them back together. I got the headlight most of the way back together before the sealant went a bit stiff so i had to reheat again before i could close all the gaps.

Then it's just the case of popping all the Phillips screws back in and job done!

My apologies for the overly lengthy and poorly explained description of all off that so hopefully it kind of makes sense.

This first half of this video is quite helpful to see how the headlight removal and how the headlight goes together. 

Edited by Silverthorn
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@14N Cheers mate! It's my second time splitting a set of headlights now so it wasn't anywhere near as daunting as it was the first time!

I was quite tempted to paint the silver plastic rings and the orange piece all black but I'm extremely glad i didn't. Much prefer the OEM Nismo look :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverthorn said:

@14N Cheers mate! It's my second time splitting a set of headlights now so it wasn't anywhere near as daunting as it was the first time!

Well, if you ever feel the need to do a third pair..... :teeth:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Silverthorn said:

I was quite tempted to paint the silver plastic rings and the orange piece all black but I'm extremely glad i didn't. Much prefer the OEM Nismo look :D

Headlights look great! I was debating exactly the same thing, but went the other way. Yeh yours are exactly like stock Nismo now. Regardless of what else you do or dont do, you just have to paint the main bit black haha.

• 3 weeks later...

As some may have seen on Facebook, the wheels are up for sale already :lol: I've got myself some Work Kiwamis in GT Silver arriving. Specs of the new wheels are:

19 x 10.5 et12 square

I can't wait! :yahoo:

Ive also changed spring rates from the stock 10kg front and 8kg rear over to 16kg front and 12kg rear. Much better imo as the BC's were still a tad too soft for my liking! 

Hardrace adjustable upper control arms also installed the other day:thumbs:

IMG_20181210_170337.jpg

IMG_20181211_104038.jpg

IMG_20181219_200332.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

As some may have seen on Facebook, the wheels are up for sale already :lol: I've got myself some Work Kiwamis in GT Silver arriving. Specs of the new wheels are:

19 x 10.5 et12 square

I can't wait! :yahoo:

Ive also changed spring rates from the stock 10kg front and 8kg rear over to 16kg front and 12kg rear. Much better imo as the BC's were still a tad too soft for my liking! 

Hardrace adjustable upper control arms also installed the other day:thumbs:

IMG_20181210_170337.jpg

IMG_20181211_104038.jpg

IMG_20181219_200332.jpg

I've not seen it 

How Much are they up for bud

@dave_7 I purchased the control arms from H Tune mate. They were on a black friday sale at the time so I think I only paid around £275 ish - Bargain!

I went with the Hardrace arms as they're nice and easy to adjust and give a large range of camber adjustment - I can go from about 1 or 2 degrees of positive camber all the way to negative 6!

Also they are quite easy to make reference measurements with a steel rule due to the simplistic design and flat face. I've read about a few people complaining about their difficulty with adjusting their upper control arms unless they're the SPL style arms and I didn't fancy forking out SPL money as I couldn't justify the cost. 

I think as long as they're easy to adjust while on the car then that's all that matters imo. Some are very fiddly and would be infuriating if you were making adjustments once in a while. 

Edited by Silverthorn

22 hours ago, Silverthorn said:

@dave_7 I purchased the control arms from H Tune mate. They were on a black friday sale at the time so I think I only paid around £275 ish - Bargain!

I went with the Hardrace arms as they're nice and easy to adjust and give a large range of camber adjustment - I can go from about 1 or 2 degrees of positive camber all the way to negative 6!

Also they are quite easy to make reference measurements with a steel rule due to the simplistic design and flat face. I've read about a few people complaining about their difficulty with adjusting their upper control arms unless they're the SPL style arms and I didn't fancy forking out SPL money as I couldn't justify the cost. 

I think as long as they're easy to adjust while on the car then that's all that matters imo. Some are very fiddly and would be infuriating if you were making adjustments once in a while. 

thanks for that i appreciate it. £275 is definitely a bargain!! I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for a similar deal.

100% agree with you there as long as they'e tough enough to take the abuse and easy to adjust they should be spot on. the hardrace stuff always looks very well made from what I've seen

• Like 1

IMG_20190205_173034.jpg.7acafafc7693fd5eb82872fea7c11bc9.jpg

Getting fitted Friday! :yahoo:

Top notch service from Jdmdistro, wheels arrived quickly and are exactly how described so 10/10 in my books. 

Just remembered I've got some unused polished wheel nuts as well so dug those out... Just gets better and better :wub:

IMG_20190205_174901.jpg.8551423f65241a74402e6767632cef5c.jpg

Edited by Silverthorn
  • Like 1