Track day question?

Dom1991

Hello I've looked. But can't find any posts on any advice on using a z for track day use.

I'm considering it, but just like to know a few things from anyone who's experienced it.

Like if it's worth it, running costs, what to watch out for, what needs upgrading and anything else really? 

My first question above all else really is about tyres. What is recommended; best performance, best budget, how long they last and just see what options to take really?

I've got 20 inch rims on at the moment. they're heavy and no way would I use them for track days. I'm being lazy but knowing best rim size and tyre size too would be good. I'm guessing 17's right? 

Any answers would be appreciated. Or a slap in the right direction (sorry new on forum)

Thanks. 

Plenty of guys track their zeds, surprised you couldnt find anything, but to answer your questions.

The zed is a very capable track car, a little heavy, but good none the less.

I would get yourself a set of 18" Rays, light and cheap. Tyres i would go for a semi slick like Nankang NS2R or Federal 595 RSR, they will easily last a couple of seasons of track days, unless your doing loads., if you are a novice to track days i dont think you find much advantage to using toyo r888r's or nankang ar1's for the price difference.

At the very least i would upgrade the brakes, pads, lines and fluid and with the tyres above you are good to go, making sure of course you have made sure all fluids and general car health is good.

Next on the list would be some coilovers, arbs and thats about as good as you will get without spending a considerable amount more and then at that point, if the bug has taken hold, i would get something far more suited to pounding round the track.

I've only done a couple but fitted upgraded discs and pads and braided lines (upgraded pads is a bare minimum I'd say) and found it 100% manageable. I've only got goodyear eagle F1's and found them extremely reliable on a dry track. Also you may find going out with an expert extremely beneficial to improve skills. Or pay for tuition. I know Castle Combe do 3 hours for £255.