Track day question?

Dom1991

Hello I've looked. But can't find any posts on any advice on using a z for track day use.

I'm considering it, but just like to know a few things from anyone who's experienced it.

Like if it's worth it, running costs, what to watch out for, what needs upgrading and anything else really? 

My first question above all else really is about tires. What is recommended; best performance, best budget, how long they last and just see what options to take really?

I've got 20 inch rims on at the moment. they're heavy and no way would I use them for track days. I'm being lazy but knowing best rim size and tyre size too would be good. I'm guessing 17's right? 

Any answers would be appreciated. Or a slap in the right direction (sorry new on forum)

Thanks. 

Have you got any trackday experience in other cars? haven't tracked a zed myself, but have been in a couple on track. A zed is great on track, good handling and straight line speed, but since its a bit portly you'll get through tyres and especially brakes quite quickly if you skimp.

if you're new to it you might get away with some fast road pads (Ferodo DS2500s, EBC Yellows) and high temp brake fluid, as long as you keep your sessions on track short. if you get into it then you'll probably need to go for Carbon Lorraine (CL), Performance Friction or Carbotech pads, but they're pricey.

As ZMANALEX says the standard rays wheels are the best initially - light and strong, and easy to get hold of, plus plenty of rubber available in an 18.

cant comment on what tyres are best, but I use Federal 595 RSRs as a starter - cheap (about £100 a corner) good grip and seem to last a decent length of time.

• Like 1

When I started tracking mine I just upgraded brake pads and tyres to start then got some coilovers when I got abit of money together

I used ebc yellowstuff on mine, didn't get any brake fade and could be used on the road as it was my daily aswell, they lasted 12 months

I used 18inch rays with yoko AD08Rs really good dry grip very sticky, didnt overheat, again was ok to use on the road and lasted a around 13000 road miles and 3 track evenings. They were pricy though at 180 each but would recommend.

In my eyes tyres are the only thing you don't want to scrimp on because no matter how fast or good your car is at handling, you can't do anything with a set of crappy tires on.

Recommended tyres would be federal rsr, ad08r, pilot sports, pilot sport cup 2, there's also big reviews about nankang ar1 as a good budget road legal track tyre