Back to 2 seats!

Ebized

A45 has gone, after three and half years of great fun, in favour of a 6 month old  Cayman - something I have had a hankering for a while now that June & I have found the VW Polo does the 4-seats requirement well enough. 

A very full spec including pdk; chrono; PASM; sports exhaust; two zone auto climate; seat ventilation (just the job with the current weather!); 14 way electric seats; two tone leather.  The 19" wheels appealed rather than the 20' variety most Caymans get specced with, that I felt are better suited to B road driving and do not make such a hole in the pocket when replacement tyres are due.  G-tech treatment thrown in by the Porsche dealer that has certainly helped the bring out the sparkle in the metallic finish.  On first sight it reminded me of the 350 HR dark blue with grey interior that I always thought was one of the best colour combinations and was determined not to have another another white car.  I did bottle out on the racing yellow option, my initial choice, that I heard can be difficult to paint match if necessary (rather like the GT4 ultra yellow 350s) and maybe not the best trade-in/sell-on colour. 

First impressions after some 500 (dry) miles:

Handling is very impressive and the steering feel is the best I have come across in my car ownership.

With the sports exhaust and using sport mode the noise under load has eased my one main worries with the 718's.  However, not the greatest sound in the cabin when sport mode is not activated, so no guessing the option preferred and it does make a very notable difference with the in-gear response.  Dropping a gear and flooring it is real :D territory.

Loads of creature comforts are all there - one of the reasons that we chose this example to enjoy seeing more  of the UK.  The front boot space is enormous and belies the scale of the car and together with the rear boot there is more that enough space for weeks away from home.  The (optional) 64 litre tank will help with those trips.

The cabin does get warm and although you cannot see the engine, that together with the exhaust heat felt through the rear boot does make the air-con blast option a a very welcome addition currently. :sweat:

The Navigation/touchscreen works well (far better than the VW and better than in the Merc). Apple car play available too.

Would have liked the multi-function steering wheel, but not enough to lay out another 2k as a dealer fit option.

Seen 38mpg at normal motorway speeds and low teens after a little spirited drive - don't tell June :blush::lol:

Still to find out how the Pirelli P-Zeros hold up in the wet - something I need to bare in mind that this car will not have the grip levels the A45 offered - wet or dry.

So, back to sports car driving having sold on "GUNS' (see avatar) when the need for a 4-seater arose, and now finding out more about Porsche ownership.

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12 July 2018 at 22:51, monkeybrain1234 said:

Congrats Colin. I'm sure you will put the Porker through its paces! 

:thumbs: Remember how we Enjoyed our spirited drives in Wales .

On 30 July 2018 at 06:12, nissanman312 said:

Good choice Colin 

I do quite like these :ninja:

Come on..... spill the beans then :D

Now done some 3k miles in the Cayman and our 'normal' weather conditions, which has revealed that with  P Zeros I have to say do not give anywhere near the confidence in the wet as the MPSS did on the A45 and the 370.  OK so not apples with apples when measuring against the '45 that was just bonkers quick on wet roads but expected better with still some 4.5mm tread on the  rear tyres (fronts are another 1mm better off).

Sadly, Porsche have not N rated the Michelins that fit their 19" wheels so a difficult decision next year as to whether I opt for the MPS4s which would be my favoured choice  but means an impact on Porsches warranty or look at the approved alternative and  limited options that from reading owners feedbacks are not exactly encouraging.  

Or just take it out on dry days :(...........or slow down as I am often reminded when the other half is on board.........

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ebized said:

:thumbs: Remember how we Enjoyed our spirited drives in Wales .

Come on..... spill the beans then :D

Now done some 3k miles in the Cayman and our 'normal' weather conditions, which has revealed that with  P Zeros I have to say do not give anywhere near the confidence in the wet as the MPSS did on the A45 and the 370.  OK so not apples with apples when measuring against the '45 that was just bonkers quick on wet roads but expected better with still some 4.5mm tread on the  rear tyres (fronts are another 1mm better off).

Sadly, Porsche have not N rated the Michelins that fit their 19" wheels so a difficult decision next year as to whether I opt for the MPS4s which would be my favoured choice  but means an impact on Porsches warranty or look at the approved alternative and  limited options that from reading owners feedbacks are not exactly encouraging.  

Or just take it out on dry days :(...........or slow down as I am often reminded when the other half is on board.........

Wait ...you can't choose your own tyres if you want to keep warranty? :wacko:

6 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Wait ...you can't choose your own tyres if you want to keep warranty? :wacko:

See pdf here and scroll down to 718 group:  https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

And what the guys on Pistonheads think: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1673732

2 minutes ago, Ekona said:

*tyres

I only ever ran N rated on mine when I had the warranty, but then I happily ran without a warranty for the last year of ownership too. Sack off the warranty and enjoy the car.

I have MPS4S ... You know it makes sense !!! :)

• Like 1