10J alloys all round - best tyre sizes on 350z

EzeePzee

Hi guys,

Currently got some Enkei RPF1 alloys on my 350z, 10J in each corner. Tyres are 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 at the rear.

Is there a better tyre width choice, or should I stick with the above? I thought about looking at 255/35 and 275/35 options on the same rims, but not sure if there is any benefit, or perhaps it may be detrimental dropping the width of tyres..?

i presume it’s wise keeping the staggered front-to-back config, but don’t know how critical this is as I’ve not driven the car with any other tyres on.

Note that I always use decent tyres, no budget. Currently have Yoko Advans on and always like Michelin or Goodyear’s too.

Thanks

I was always happy with a 275/235 combo, never suffered with understeer or lack of traction on the rear (inc track work) and that was on a v3 supercharged, personally i think thats over tyred and doesnt really offer any additional benefit, some dedicated track users like 245/255 on the front, so i would be looking at 275 rear and 245/255 front, but as davey says you will end up with a bit of a stretch on the front, but nothing severe :)

6 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

track

6 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I was always happy with a 275/235 combo, never suffered with understeer or lack of traction on the rear (inc track work) and that was on a v3 supercharged, personally i think thats over tyred and doesnt really offer any additional benefit, some dedicated track users like 245/255 on the front, so i would be looking at 275 rear and 245/255 front, but as davey says you will end up with a bit of a stretch on the front, but nothing severe :)

Is that on a 10j rim? 

Im running 10.5J (rear) and 9.5J (front) and running 275/40/18 and 255/40/18

I used this tyre calculator https://www.willtheyfit.com/ when calculating my tyre choice

The key result is the speedo error which you want to keep as close +/- to the OEM tyre sizes, as the traction control is known to be a bit sensitive if wrong tyre sizes are chosen. Also worth to note the profile size will change the speedo error figure, as it changes the rolling circumference 

So by the sounds of it then, a 255/35 and a 275/35 combo would be OK.. trying to understand if that’s much of a stretch on the fronts or not, but seems to be ok from guides online. Just don’t know if there is any benefit from doing it or not, or if there is a big tyre price / availability difference.