Windscreen insurance nightmare. Advice?

Beefy

Gotta rant about this somewhere I guess...

So I've had a cracked windscreen for a while, finally put some time aside to get it replaced under the insurance, call autoglass, time slot sorted, 1 week before MOT is due, lovely.

Autoglass turn up early, while I'm out and they've turned up with the wrong glass... (No wiper heatstrip).

Anyway, autoglass say they're sourcing an extra glass, meanwhile I'm left waiting, after loads of contact and me pestering them as well as my insurer to get this done asap.

Today I get a call from autoglass, a week after my MOT was due, saying it'll take 6 weeks to complete as it needs to be sourced from Japan.

Get on the phone to my insurer, as I'll be out of a car for 8 week in total, ask if they supply a courtesy car, as I got my windscreen cover through them.
Nope.
Any help?
Nope.
Insure me on another vehicle for the meantime FOC?
Nope.
Do I still have to pay my full insurance over the 8 weeks my car is off the road?

Yes, of course I do.

I @*!# you not, from the mouth of the elephant employee "In case you get into a crash".
"While it's sat in my garage"
"Yes"
I've also been told if I get into a crash without an MOT, they would pay out... "If you say so mate".

Absolutely insane customer service, completely useless as you'd expect.

Anyway, insurance is up soon, so will be changing. Any recommendations?

Beefy.

And of course you’d pay for your insurance still, unless you don’t want it covered in case it gets stolen ;) 

To be fair, it’s not your insurers fault that Autoglass cannot get you a screen for a few weeks. I’m not sure I know of any insurer who would give you a loan car in the same circumstances. 

On 04/07/2018 at 23:34, ZMANALEX said:

If I was having a glass fitted I would not wait until 1 week before my MOT was due.

However, at least you are getting a genuine glass and not the usual Pilkington.

In my defence, it was only a chip until about 3 weeks before my MOT.

Ironworks on the A4 killed it :'(

23 hours ago, Ekona said:

And of course you’d pay for your insurance still, unless you don’t want it covered in case it gets stolen ;) 

To be fair, it’s not your insurers fault that Autoglass cannot get you a screen for a few weeks. I’m not sure I know of any insurer who would give you a loan car in the same circumstances. 

Nah, but it's my insurer that contract auto glass to do the work. My windscreen cover contract is with my insurer.
I got off the phone with the financial conduct authority and they said my insurer is liable for getting this service completed in a reasonable amount of time. Still waiting on contact back from them to see how to proceed.

Reasonable time... But I bet that definition by them will take into account lack of stock. They can't magic stock from nowhere. Sorry this has happened to you but as Zmanalex said, I wouldn't have waited so long. I'd have got it done asap. Chips, if small enough, are usually done for free. Once it becomes a crack is when you need a new windscreen and you get charged for it.