Neil's track day 350Z build (in orange)

vroom811

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Ahhhhh bet you can't wait to get this out on the road, will feel tighter than your true love.

Lovely upload 

Re a replacement exhaust, I've had this toyosport system and on a budget it's very good. 

Yeah, desperate to see how she handles now.  Started putting it mas much back together as I can yesterday.  Is that toyosport exhaust resonated?  Is it loud whilst cruising onthe motorway?  Looks good value at £250 new.

With taking so much off, you'll be wanting to go straight for a wheel alignment before leaning on ol' girl. 

Yeah these have a resonated centre section and a large rear silencer. Visually a replica of the Nismo system. Couple with OE cats, sometimes you'd get a bit of rasp around 5k but zero drone on the motorway.

Edited by davey_83

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the rust restoration project.  Have started to put the car back together now and fitted a few cheeky upgrades.  My video below goes into more detail as usual

Edited by vroom811
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So, a common fault that likely has affected us all at some stage is the problem with the boot not opeing properly.  The helper springs wear out so the boot lid doesn't open enough. 

Nissan wanted £105 for a pair of new springs but @Sim posted about upgrated springs from OpenTop for only £45 so I gave them a go. 

They are very strong.  Not used them that long but so far they work very well.  You do need to give the lid a bit of a slam so it closes properly. Maybe they are too strong!  I'd imagine if you had a large spoiler on the boot they'd still work.

I've made a video to show how they work and how to fit them. 

boot spring.png

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 19:38, vroom811 said:

I'm back!   After a break to have a child and build a garage this is my next 350Z video.   I fit a plenum spacer.   Obviously a common mod but hopefully you'll like the way I've shot the video.

Amazingly little blow-by in your plenum! 😮

19 hours ago, vroom811 said:

Next mod was fitting some high flow cats from Torqen.   Really good quality items and the fitment was spot on. Should add up to 15 HP and made the stock exhuast note a bit more beefy. 

cats pack.png

Very interested to see a emissions test result on these (HC ppm, CO % )

• 3 weeks later...

And finally here's a pic of all the components treated for rust, painted and back on the car.   I've gone for a "white" theme (although I couldn't resist painting the diff cover electric blue).  You may notice a brand new exhaust too....😉  Still a large list to do on the car but it's been off road for 6 months now and it's time to get it on the track. 

IMG_3625.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2021 at 17:56, davey_83 said:

Looks great and very much a labour of love. What sneaky plans are next?

Looks like a Toyosport exhaust, very good set up for the money. Had one on mine for years, sounded fab.

Try an get over to the Summer meet next month, likely to be the biggest Z meet in years.  

https://fb.me/e/2sIiTgNWP

Definatley track tyres next then probably coliover suspension next but we'll see how she handles at the next track day.

The toyosport is lounder even at low revs.  Excellent value but would have liked it to only be loud above 4k!    Bit of a drone / buzz when accelerating from below 2k but not too bad.   You've still got the stock W brace haven't you?   i've got the UltraRacing one and it snags on the exhuast so have just ordered a new OEM one.

Yeah would be good to get to a meet at some stage.  i have a 2 year old which makes it difficult though!  That link you snet didn't work for me though for some reason?

1 hour ago, vroom811 said:

Definatley track tyres next then probably coliover suspension next but we'll see how she handles at the next track day.

The toyosport is lounder even at low revs.  Excellent value but would have liked it to only be loud above 4k!    Bit of a drone / buzz when accelerating from below 2k but not too bad.   You've still got the stock W brace haven't you?   i've got the UltraRacing one and it snags on the exhuast so have just ordered a new OEM one.

Yeah would be good to get to a meet at some stage.  i have a 2 year old which makes it difficult though!  That link you snet didn't work for me though for some reason?

Hey pal, I had no drone at all with my Toyosport exhaust coupled with stock cats however did have a bit of rasp which went away when I fitted ART pipes. 

The Toyosport exhaust I had coupled with the stock w brace cleared absolutely fine, I now have a ultra racing w brace and coupled with my custom thorney Motorsport system clears also *ART pipes tuck everything up nice and safe. 

Next month's meet is here:

Government guidelines for social distancing and table service for refrements being adhered to the same as Caffeine and Machine, Wheels on Wednesday and Shesley Walsh events.

Edited by davey_83

Hi Neil, From your Videos it looks like Bedford is your local track, as I will be at Bedford a few times this year and looking for a new exhaust setup. I am just wondering if you have any concerns regarding the Noise limits with your new setup? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 22:20, Ry-B said:

Hi Neil, From your Videos it looks like Bedford is your local track, as I will be at Bedford a few times this year and looking for a new exhaust setup. I am just wondering if you have any concerns regarding the Noise limits with your new setup? 

Yes it is.  With the high flow cats fitted the toyosport exhaust is quite loud.  Not sure if louder than the 101 Db limit at Bedford though.   Still not sure if i'm going to kepp the toyosport exhuast on the car as its possibly too loud day to day for me.  I guess time will tell.