Neil's track day 350Z build (in orange)

vroom811

12 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

Been watching the series. Really enjoying it.  

Thanks for taking the time

Bit annoyed that the seat change gives less headroom. I would want more as I'm 6'4

Thinking of doing the full service now.

Thanks mate.  Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Maybe I should clarify on the seat.  I configured it so the rear is one notch (there are 3) higher than the front.  So I sit at an angle which I prefer.  That was what I meant by "higher".  Probably not the best description.  Anyway overall you sit lower in the car as the seat is thinner than stock and mounts lower.    You can also move the seat further back more to give more leg room, again as it's thinner.  I'm 6 foot and can't fully depress the pedals with the seat all the way back.

If you are at TRAX on Sunday you can have a go!

1 hour ago, vroom811 said:

Thanks mate.  Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Maybe I should clarify on the seat.  I configured it so the rear is one notch (there are 3) higher than the front.  So I sit at an angle which I prefer.  That was what I meant by "higher".  Probably not the best description.  Anyway overall you sit lower in the car as the seat is thinner than stock and mounts lower.    You can also move the seat further back more to give more leg room, again as it's thinner.  I'm 6 foot and can't fully depress the pedals with the seat all the way back.

If you are at TRAX on Sunday you can have a go!

Ok I get you now. 

Are they the mounts that are described as "low mounts" or just standards? 

Was considering a change of seat for a better position but am unsure if it would sit me low enough in the end really.  

Would love to try it and thanks for the offer. But, won't be heading to Trac. It's a fair way off for me as with most shows down here in deepest darkest devon.

Good luck with everything and looking forward to more in the series.

18 hours ago, vroom811 said:

Thanks as always Davey. You gonna do the P3 yourself?

Yeah, the lot. Previously P1's and a P2 carried out. Will need another pair of axle stands to have the car level for gearbox and diff oil change. For oil changes I trolley jack the driver's side, axle stand the passenger and then lower jack, to get the last bit of old oil out. Never had a petrol car before whereby the oil goes dark so quick.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daisyduke said:

Ok I get you now. 

Are they the mounts that are described as "low mounts" or just standards? 

Was considering a change of seat for a better position but am unsure if it would sit me low enough in the end really.  

Would love to try it and thanks for the offer. But, won't be heading to Trac. It's a fair way off for me as with most shows down here in deepest darkest devon.

Good luck with everything and looking forward to more in the series.

No idea if they are low mounts.  To be fair I don't see how they could be lower though without cutting into the car.

• 2 months later...

My latest video is a collection of repairs and mods I've done the the Z. 

1. I modify the boot to make it bigger and safer

2. Repair a leaky door seal

3. Repaint the scratched door handle with plastidip

4. Hack the Bose stereo

5. Give the interior a good clean

6. Fit brighter headlights

7. Do the "penny trick" on the boot lid

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Got the Whiteline suspension kit ordered.  It includes stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars, new drop links, poly bushings and lowering springs.   @davey_83 is on the ball and has already posted my video of me installing the anti-roll bars (spolier - watch out for sheared bolts...) and the testing how much of an improvement it is on track.  I'll do the same for the springs when time allows.

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_9788.JPG

• Like 1

Nice modification with ease of adjustability too. 

I'd say the whiteline lowering springs probably have the perfect drop for the 350z. Tein isn't enough and eibach seems too much. Look forward to the next update.

On 26/04/2019 at 22:13, davey_83 said:

Nice modification with ease of adjustability too. 

I'd say the whiteline lowering springs probably have the perfect drop for the 350z. Tein isn't enough and eibach seems too much. Look forward to the next update.

Front springs are in and the drop looks good.  Got the rears to do tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 12:59, Retro LLama said:

great video underside looks in quite good nic. nice testing also :).

can i ask what phone holder you use to keep your phone in the lid space? I'm sick of mine been thrown around the cabin! 

what's planned next mod wise? 

Thanks mate.     The phone holder is by RAM Mounts.  I've a video on how I installed it on my channel if that helps.    Next up its the lowering springs then I'm testing to see if ceramic coating the car is any good.  A few mods on my list but not sue which will be next such as brake ducts, plenum spacer, rust repair and poly bushes.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 19:17, omegacloud said:

I am quite surprised how unimpressed you seem with the anti-roll bars. Most people say the #2 mod after coilovers. 

Yeah, surprised me too.  They are better than stock but not massively so.  Maybe they'll show their potential after other mods.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My next mod was fitting sports lowering springs from Whiteline.   Drop the car by about 25mm and am pleased to report does improve the handling quite a bit.  A lot of bodyroll in the corners has been reduced and it feel like the car has more grip.    As usual a guide on to how to fit the springs and my thoughts on how they perform is below.

• Like 2