Neil's track day 350Z build (in orange)

vroom811

On 16/07/2018 at 13:34, Panoz33 said:

That should be interesting. I was a subscriber already and really liked the down to earth approach on your videos. I was happy when I've seen that you bought a 350z. 

Keep it up man. :thumbs:

Thanks mate.  Glad to hear you like the videos.   The Z always held a big place in my heart was am really glad I've got this one.  Lot's of exciting stuff planned!

Latest video is now out.   I show how i replaced the rusty W brace, the worn engine belts, fixed the gearbox issue and replaced the worn boot struts.  Oh, I also changed the wipers!  Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Great stuff fella, keep it up :thumbs:

the W brace is THE worst designed part of the car. Not seen a good one yet, i have protected mine like hell but still think about replacing it. 

Big thanks Glen.  My Ultra Racing brace was about £140 if I remember so not too pricey if you're looking to get a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2018 at 14:48, vroom811 said:

Big thanks Glen.  My Ultra Racing brace was about £140 if I remember so not too pricey if you're looking to get a new one.

I’m in the process of replacing my w brace for the ultra racing one. Did you use a torque wrench when tightening up the bolts, If so do you know the setting ? as I’ve miss placed my Haynes manual.    :thumbs:

1 hour ago, SHEZZA said:

I’m in the process of replacing my w brace for the ultra racing one. Did you use a torque wrench when tightening up the bolts, If so do you know the setting ? as I’ve miss placed my Haynes manual.    :thumbs:

Don't hold me to this but for something steel and non fragile like the W brace, you'd be fine tightening up the bolts with a ratchet. Can always drop a bit of loctite on the threads if you're worried about them coming out, but doubt it will go anywhere ;)

Wouldn't even bother getting the torque wrench out for that :lol: wheel nuts yes, engine bits yes, pretty much everything else no. Either it goes FT, or just enough.

For the W brace, I'd be going to FT spec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHEZZA said:

Here you go mate.1547724400_torquespecs.JPG.5c70451529edc98e05bbceee166d66ce.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SHEZZA said:

Yes did torque them as per the pic but just doing them up tight would have done.  I got the info from the Service Manual.  I think a link to it is on this forum?

• Like 1

great to see that you're on here Neil! watched the full series on the Renault Clio pretty much back to back, and following the 350Z build and videos. When you're ready for a trackday, be sure to post it on here and I might come along in my Z4.

A slightly off topic question... if you have the opportunity from another trackday, could you make another video comparing you and your mate's lap times? I found it really interesting and useful to see where and how you can lose time on a circuit.

Edited by brillomaster

There was plenty of other rust on the car and my video shows it all in detail with my plan to tackle it.  As well as cutting out the rusted brake lines I also swapped out the corroded member stays.  I also upgraded the brakes and fitted EBC BSD grooved discs, steel braided hoses, EBC Bluestuff pads and EBC racing brake fluid.  She stops on a dime now.  Will be at Bedford Autodrome in a few days to give her a proper test!

Edited by vroom811

8 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

great to see that you're on here Neil! watched the full series on the Renault Clio pretty much back to back, and following the 350Z build and videos. When you're ready for a trackday, be sure to post it on here and I might come along in my Z4.

A slightly off topic question... if you have the opportunity from another trackday, could you make another video comparing you and your mate's lap times? I found it really interesting and useful to see where and how you can lose time on a circuit.

Thanks mate, nice to hear you've watched the videos.   I'll be at Bedford on Monday 6th Aug.  If you're free do pop along.  Would be cool to see your Z4.  I test drove and nearly got one many years ago before getting my first Z.

Yes, absolutely.   Gary has to work on Monday otherwise we would have done it then.  When he's next free we'll record it.

Today I get these bad boys fitted.   Been desperate to get the mix of terrible tyres off the car for ages.  These are the best road tyres Kumho do, the Ecsta PS91s.  Not tried them before so will be interesting to see how they are on the road and track. 

IMG_9809.JPG

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, vroom811 said:

Today I get these bad boys fitted.   Been desperate to get the mix of terrible tyres off the car for ages.  These are the best road tyres Kumho do, the Ecsta PS91s.  Not tried them before so will be interesting to see how they are on the road and track. 

IMG_9809.JPG

I have had Khumo sport tyres on a few cars and always found them to be very good.

5 minutes ago, AndyG8nby said:

I believe they where the Ecsta le sport KU39, Friend of mine has them on his Evo and he rates them also.

Ah yes the KU39s.  Had them on the Clio track car build I did on my YouTube channel.   Good tyre.  Struggled a little at Bedford Autodrome but that's to be expected as they are primarily a road tyre.  Good firm sidewall on them though and nice turn in. 

5 hours ago, vroom811 said:

There was plenty of other rust on the car and my video shows it all in detail with my plan to tackle it.  As well as cutting out the rusted brake lines I also swapped out the corroded member stays.  I also upgraded the brakes and fitted EBC BSD grooved discs, steel braided hoses, EBC Bluestuff pads and EBC racing brake fluid.  She stops on a dime now.  Will be at Bedford Autodrome in a few days to give her a proper test!

Brilliant video - really informative. Thank you. :thumbs:

Where do I send the money to?