World Cup

LRF4N

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

Most positive thing to take as agreed with you earlier and it is exciting for sure, plus i think Southgate is the best manager we have had for a long time, not forgetting

Pickford, a revelation, probably would have been out earlier if it wasnt for him.

But lets be frank, no matter how good you think they were tactically etc, they were average at best, semi's or not, played 6, won 3, lost 2, drawn 1, against average competition.

Still better than all but 3 of the teams in the Cup though, people seem to forget that Sweden and Columbia had Germany, Mexico and Poland in their groups. 

What I saw of England was better than anything I remember in my lifetime but we still had that tendency to drop off in the last 10/15 minutes of games - late doors last night Alli and Lingard got very lazy while the Croats were still running their legs off, we also had a bit of the old school negativity and lack of invention which has been our biggest problem for 20 years IMO. 

But, Im still prouder than Ive ever been in our national team. Weve moved away from the "must have" players (Lamps and Gerard in the same team anyone?), weve developed tactically where previously we had bugger all before, we have started allowing players to be in their best positions ......... but mowst of all we actually look like we want to win the game rtaher than just turning up to make up the numbers. 
Dont forget we are World under 20 Champs, World under 17 champs and  Euro under 19 champs too, I think its still coming home ;)

I think the other big nations will actually turn up in the next 2 world cups so although it is progress it’s not a given that England will automatically win just because the team is young and did well. Don’t get me wrong, credit where it’s due, you guys got further than anyone except Gary Linekar expected with a below par team so hat off

(I wish the game last night was on BBC so the rest of the UK could see that smug look wiped off Linekars mug)

I think the best era that I’ve witnessed was the Beckham-Scholes era, and since then there’s been some great players

What really gets me though is the whole “home” thing.....

• Like 1

It is a joke you know :lol: that we kind of know it's never coming home but sing it each WC anyway. 

As doc said Southgate has completely moved the goal posts here. Instead of picking the best 11 players (and avoiding big name players) he showed that right now the best way to progress is to create a system and a base to work from. And these guys now have some tournament experience with them. 

I watched the German games with a German friend and he fears for the future as there is a lack of young players for them at the moment in key positions. They have a few like Sane but absolutely no stand out strikers or defenders. It's not a given at all that in four years Germany or Spain will suddenly have a world beating team again.

47 minutes ago, coldel said:

It is a joke you know :lol: that we kind of know it's never coming home but sing it each WC anyway. 

Yea I get that but I just got back from Manchester yesterday and heard a few people using that in a normal conversation. Sounded ridiculous 

Anyway..... Come on Belgium!

Edited by LRF4N

7 hours ago, Payco said:

Just asked a guy in the Orange phone shop in town as he had a company shirt on. Didn't have a clue :)

:lol:

That doesn't say a lot for the ability to search on their network then.

Mind you, I saw someone in a Dundee United shirt today and asked them.  Despite usually having a view on everything, he didn't have a clue either.

• Like 1