World Cup

LRF4N

What’s everyone’s thoughts so far?

A lot of the big teams haven’t performed well so far, Germany are back home, Argentina weren’t far away. Brazil and Spain haven’t overly impressed me. Spain were excellent against Portugal but against Iran they were dire

With the knockouts starting today maybe they will turn it on now

Ive enjoyed it so far, some good goals, plenty of drama

Belgium have been decent so far, I wouldn’t mind seeing them go the distance but Columbia are my tip (sorry guys, can’t see you getting past them). They played some great football in Brazil and the same again this year

Portugal could do it as well but I’m hoping James will outshine Ronaldo and Columbia lift the trophy 

A few teams (Brazil, Spain) are doing what they need, and no more, in my opinion.

We'll see a different side to them in the knockouts.

Belgium were my tip pre-tournament, and nothing I've seen has changed that (although, Brazil do look a little better than I thought they would).

Agree about Colombia, sadly... far more creative than us.

Have to disagree about Portugal though, I don't think they've looked very cohesive.

I only saw Portugal against Spain and thought both teams were good, and with Ronaldo playing like that he would be the one to pull them further

I used to love watching Portugal play in the days of Rui Costa, Figo, Nuno Gomez etc. But not so much nowadays 

Havent watched much of it, but just caught the end of the France/Argentina game, France looked pretty impressive to me, watched a bit of England but sorry to say when presented with a decent team, they wont fair well, but hope for different :)

Brazil do it best unfortunately. Remember rivaldo against turkey with the corner?

That game tonight was something else. So impressed with how well Japan started off. Closed them down so well, no space or time on the ball then 2 good goals after half time nearly made it the best result in their history. But credit to Martinez. As much as I hate that donkey Fellini his subs won him the game

Belgium Columbia final, the 2 I predicted at the start

Hmmm for me 1990 was pretty special from an England perspective, the game against Cameroon was epic as they were rampaging through games. Also being played in Italy the Italian games were full of emotion. Baggio was in amazing form at the time and was gunning for glory...the final itself though was such a shame. I also remember 2002 being a good world cup, really enjoyable. 

I think this one has offered something different in terms of the failure of historically bigger teams to play well, so overall I would say the overall level is down on previous tournaments but it has made for more competitive matches and a few upsets.

Edited by coldel

I also got interviewed on Sky Sports before the England Denmark game in 2002. Was in the Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington and Sky had a team there, the game started at 10am or something and we arrived in the pub at 5am to start boozing along with a fry up! The Sky reporters walked around and asked for volunteers to do an interview before the game no one would so I just went for it. We rehearsed it at around 9am but by the time it was pre-kick off the beers had their effect and I forgot everything we were going to say so winged it - I predicted the final score and that Owen would break his tournament duck and score. After the match the reporter came back over to re-interview me for my brilliant prediction but it was carnage, about 10 of my mates jumped in and threw a St Georges flag around her and she got mobbed as they cut straight back to the studio :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great story Col. I was interviewed on BBC News in Stockholm prior to our defeat to Sweden in the Euros in 92. Had a 20 second interview about the game and the trouble between fans out there. Still have it recorded on a VHS tape.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:41, Jetpilot said:

Saw the best and worse of football today, i wish they could stamp out this play acting, its a disgrace and cannot believe the players arent embarrassed by it :(

I entirely agree.  And yet it goes on and on.  I like it when pundits like Martine Keown say that if he'd done that Alan Shearer would have just laughed at him.  And laughed at him hard.

I also wish I'd studied Latin at school, as - on the basis of football over the last thirty years - I'd love to know what the Latin for "cheat" is.  I'm thinking facetiously that it might be "natural". 

Home being Brazil/Belgium/France/Uruguay/Croatia :stir:

So there goes my prediction 

Hugely disappointed with Columbia they only started playing after 80 mins and even when they did their tactics were all wrong. This isn’t the best England team we’ve seen but in the air at the back they’re decent. Why they kept playing long balls I don’t know

When the Colombians play well it’s ball on the ground, tight passing, showing their flair. They did none of that last night. Really poor show 

And their behaviour for the first 80 mins was a disgrace 

....and for those who don’t know me, yes I’m scottish :lol:

I actually think England simply pressed them so well that they couldn't play out from the back, when they did play balls into feet up the field they couldn't get up to support the attack in time and we dispossessed them easily - we simply didn't give them the time or space that the likes of Poland did. The mistake was bringing Dier in alongside Henderson as we instantly lost that forward momentum and invited them onto us.

But the behaviour was a disgrace, you shouldn't have to wait 3 minutes to take a penalty whilst the opposition hound the referee. And the coach bumping Sterling as he left the pitch, he should receive some sort of touchline ban and have something on his record. FIFA wont act though.

• Like 1

As above, if you watch the match back the England team worked very hard at closing them down and suppressing their passing game. They disconnected their defence from the rest of the team so they couldn't work the ball out from the back and relied on long balls into the forwards who couldn't beat our back line for pace nor find enough support from their own midfield. It really should be recognised how well England did in terms of breaking them down often winning the ball back in their half (often a sign of the high press). 

Lets not forget Colombia are highly thought of as a footballing team, in qualifying they only finished 1 point behind Argentina and 4 points behind Uruguay in an 18 match qualification group with third best defence in the qualification, they are no mugs and should not be seen as some sort of third world team.

It was a great test for England as it is an inexperienced side lacking tournament game time, a young team, led by a relatively inexperienced manager. They came through it well. Anything they get beyond now is certainly a bonus.

Edited by coldel

I am a damaged England fan having travelled to watch them in world cups and Euros. Sadly at the age of 50 I am worn down by it all. I do hope they push on and last night was a great effort. Unfortunately it feels like its in our DNA not to deliver. Sat will be a different test but as has been well documented its a great chance for them.

• Like 1