Hello! Potential new owner

Hi! My name is Tim. I am 23 and I am hoping to buy a 350Z at the weekend... but here's the thing:

It's a 53 plate with 90,000 miles on the clock. I have been warned about the piston rings/valve seal issues, and to look out for smoke coming from the exhausts upon cold start. I didn't get chance to check this when I went to view it the other day, as the car was warm. I will however check it before I hand over any money, and have requested the car be kept cold for my arrival. Obviously, if I see smoke, I should run right? But what if there is no smoke? Is it safe to presume, so long as I treat it well, it should last a fair while? And how much 'smoke' am I looking for? 

Sorry for all the questions! I just don't want to buy a dog.

Thanks!

Tim. 

Edited by t1m350

Welcome aboard Tim. :welcome: 

It's always difficult with used cars I'm afraid regardless of the age or mileage.

I once bought a my96 JDM Impreza WRX with an apparent 66K miles on the clock, ...as it was an import car there was literally no history with it whatsoever. I took a long time examining that car, looking for smoke on start up, checking for leaks, checking the condition of fluids etc etc. I bought it and just a month later driving home from a car show the big end went after the oil pump died starving the crank bearings/engine of oil. No mechanic in the world could of foreseen that happening. 

My old 2003 Nissan 350Z however had over 80K miles on the clock when I bought that. I checked that car over myself again in just the same manner but being a UK car it did have some history although by no means comprehensive. 

I never had any problems with that car and heavily modified it in the end to over 436Bhp with a Vortech supercharger. 

At the end of the day try to look the car over as best you can treating it just like any other used vehicle. Don't get too excited and make sure you check the cars history as much as possible. Some good guides/tips in the threads below...

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks for the insight! Hopefully it’ll be okay then. One other thing - I noticed the temp gauge sat below the centre even though I drove it for a while. Does this mean faulty thermostat? Almost every other car I’ve driven the temperature gauge sits in the middle. Thanks.

3 hours ago, t1m350 said:

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks for the insight! Hopefully it’ll be okay then. One other thing - I noticed the temp gauge sat below the centre even though I drove it for a while. Does this mean faulty thermostat? Almost every other car I’ve driven the temperature gauge sits in the middle. Thanks.

I wouldn't be overly concerned by that tbh and AFAIK it wouldn't indicate anythings wrong with the thermostat. 

If you're overly concerned by buying this car used it maybe worth getting an RAC/AA or similar inspection done. Around £150 odd I believe. 

Otherwise just go for it if you're happy with the car after inspection but just make sure you have a warranty on the car from either the garage you buy it from or through the AA etc. Good luck.