Moly Slip - Stock LSD

Nardo_Z

Hi all,

My '05 350Z GT has got a little bit of drone from what I think is the rear diff. Could be wheel bearing if it was an unusual sounding wheel bearing. 

A mate that is the chief mechanic for a historic rally team has recommended Moly Slip additive to the diff oil to bring friction down a bit (particularly as it is driven reasonably hard).

https://products.liqui-moly.com/gear-oil-additive-5.html

Has anyone got any experience of this?

For clarity, diff oil is brand new and it is to the correct level ;-) 

Edited by Hedgecase

I don't think I would add anything to the standard viscous diff as its designed for a certain viscosity liquid so you will throw it out, it may lock up earlier or later, as you say it could be the wheel bearing or the diff shims/ run-out on the ring gear might be slightly worn down and out of spec.

Someone else might tell you otherwise in a minute but thats the best thing about forums lol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evilscorp said:

I don't think I would add anything to the standard viscous diff as its designed for a certain viscosity liquid so you will throw it out, it may lock up earlier or later, as you say it could be the wheel bearing or the diff shims/ run-out on the ring gear might be slightly worn down and out of spec.

My understanding is that it does not effect viscosity merely interface friction between the parts, but this is a really good point thanks for highlighting. I'll look into it. 

the diff shims/ run-out on the ring gear might be slightly worn down and out of spec.

Hmm good point. I'm hoping that I can try some stuff before we get to "start taking it apart" level 

whats the condition of the oil filled bush on the rear of the diff? They tend to split and leak oil which could cause unwanted vibration.

Not sure, good info on these I will check. First time Z'er so this info is ace.

Thanks for the input evilscorp

• Like 1

The viscous unit is sealed, the diff oil is just acting as a lubricant so changing it wont affect the way the diff locks, if the oil is new I cant see any additive making a difference TBH. 

Id go along Alex's lines, maybe its a wheel bearing or something?

• Like 1