The New DBS.... damn right I've an opinion on it

AMT

https://carbuzz.com/news/presenting-the-715-hp-aston-martin-dbs-superleggera

So there it is the new DBS Superleggera (although I'd rather just call it the new DBS).  MUCH BETTER ASTON! (as if they would be listening)... I was a bit disappointed when I saw the DB11 especially that rear and the lights, I just didn't think it looked right...a bit much.

With this they've made it what it should have been. However everyone will have  'concerns' and no car is truly perfect... not everyone could live with the over-sized gaping hole in the front but I could live with it.  I'm still not completely sold on the centre dash part, has an essence of XK to it, no bad thing but bit older looking in design. The steering wheels a bit odd shaped and those bloody door handles the wrong way round.....who the hell thought that was ergonomically sound?! The rear thankfully has been sorted, 4 pipes!...nice little lip and the lights are much improved (if not seemingly stole from the modern Porsche catalogue lol)

Overall it looks classy yet powerful, a nice piece of design! Can't wait to see one in the flesh when it hits the Aston showroom up here.  

What do we think?

Edited by AMT

Interior is sh*t (who signed off on those seats?!). Exterior a billion times better than the bland DB11. Gaping mouth will be fine once you get a plate on there. Bonnet nostrils are chav central, but then that's been the case with all modern AMs that seem to have those even though I've no doubt they're needed on this version.

Also, please find a better website to crib from. The quality of journalism on Carbuzz makes PH look like Shakespeare.

Interior is sh*t (who signed off on those seats?!).

Its ok, the seats I think are not too bad,possibly remove the chevron effect and the honeycomb which is a bit much.  I don't like the centre part and that stupid touch thing you use to draw on or use the turning knob to select stuff... hate it... along with these stuck on screens (not too bad in this case)

Exterior a billion times better than the bland DB11. Gaping mouth will be fine once you get a plate on there.

AGREED! (unbelievable... lol)

Bonnet nostrils are chav central, but then that's been the case with all modern AMs that seem to have those even though I've no doubt they're needed on this version.

I watched the Shmee vid (I actually hate that d**k, but its one of only 2 or 3 vids of it so I watched it briefly).  They are offering either carbon/normal slats or the mesh, think I'd take the dark mesh to save crap from going into the engine bay. (or worse still someone shoving something in).

Also, please find a better website to crib from. The quality of journalism on Carbuzz makes PH look like Shakespeare.

HOW VERY DARE YOU... Yes there not the best but its a site I can check reasonably quickly on my app thing,....it'll do. It has pictures... I'm simple. :)

I knew Dan would be in at some point haha. 

Edited by AMT

Said it before- Aston’s should be classy. They’re not anymore 

Mclarens are pulling off the race car look, dunno what’s going on at Aston just now they’re hideous 

:banned: .... lol just... naw.

I get what you mean though, but again I understand they need to change the language, it can't be a 2013 DB9 based effort or Vantage spin off (even though the 2013 DB9 to me is the best modern looking GT car made).  It would get repetitive and Aston's designers themselves have said they want to do more different things with the styling and to distinguish each model.  The DB11 was just a bit odd with that rear, the new vantage I like, I get that not everyone will like the futuristic styling but you gotta go somewhere different...  And the new DBS, hell of a lot of gapingness but meh works IMO. (there has to be someone high up in Porsche tonight sitting looking at that rear thinking..... HOD ON!)...."hold on one minute" for you down southers ;) lol

Change needs to be made at some point and along the way they'll have bad efforts (DB11) but their getting back I think and remember the DBS prior was full of tinsel and bumpers and grooves and it worked damn well lol. I def wouldn't say there hideous... 

Edited by AMT

Funny thing is I just googled F-Type and sat back and enjoyed what I could see, its like AM have tried to add some grrrrr to it and failed. The front just gets it all wrong for me. Inside is horrendous, rear quarters look good though.

Following on from a previous discussion, so £225k base, same as a reasonably well specced 720s, i know where my money would go.

Seeing as AMT likes to discuss styling, i reckon the DBS will look stunning in black and in the flesh, dont think the red does it any favours at all, but the much more important bits....

715hp, 664 lb ft, 211mph and a V12, woaw, that will be some GT car

• Like 1

I have a thing for GT cars..... :lol:  Perfect millionaire garage would have a supercar, daily driver (also for the crap season with winter tyres), the GT car and a space for constantly changing every so often to try different cars you always wanted.  So... some sort of Mclaren (prob 720 despite it looking odd), GTR (instead of a range rover for the winter lol) and of course an Aston of some sort (I do love the last gen DB9)

I wonder, how many of these cars have you seen in the flesh to pass such critical judgement. i was never that smitten with the 720s and then went to MacLaren with a mate to see one, my mind was changed instantly, it is a thing of beauty, same with the new Nsx, very very pretty car up close and personal, but quite dull in photos.

It's not intended to compete with the 720, not at all it's a GT car.

It does look stunning in black and I've been fortunate enough to see one in the flesh (red) and LRF4N is absolutely correct it looks so much better in person. 

I agree though, it's very much split opinion, some like it some don't. I'd like to drive it side-by-side the Vanquish S and see how much better it is because that is truly the perfect GT car (IMO) Vanquish S

Black:  https://www.motor1.com/news/250462/aston-martin-dbs-superleggera-video/

I dont know if this is out yet, but i'm 90% certain i've seen one of these outside my work today.  It dropped a woman who works on our site.  It was in the same red as pictured here, with dealer plates on, and the same A S T O N M A R T I N lettering accross the back.  I've looked on AM's website and pretty certain it was this one.

It looked seriously tasty, and sounded out of this world.  it was surprisingly big too... an absolute beast.

I wonder, how many of these cars have you seen in the flesh to pass such critical judgement. i was never that smitten with the 720s and then went to MacLaren with a mate to see one, my mind was changed instantly, it is a thing of beauty, same with the new Nsx, very very pretty car up close and personal, but quite dull in photos.

Theres a McLaren, Bentley, Maserati garage close to me and also Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc in Edinburgh.  I used to be in and out randomly when I had the Z (I liked to drive a lot...) so I've seen most cars even new ones multiple times and been in most of them... I just love a good opinion lol. As soon as this and the new Vantage hit Edinburgh I'll pop in for a look to see it in the flesh most certainly. Best thing is about Aston Edinburgh their always friendly and the doors to all the cars are always open, which they tell you :) 

Doesn't matter how old you get always fun to go look at some nice cars when that's your thing. I do err towards style over most things even the driving experience. Studied design a bit when I was younger so its the first thing I pay attention to. A car could be amazing to drive... but if it looks like ...say an A45 AMG... I'd happily throw the keys back at you :lol::blush:

Edited by AMT

Yes! The 720S... I was like what in the hell is that, especially in side profile it has a high waistline with no real curve in like most cars, still don't think its as good looking as the 650 or even the 12C but saw it in the flesh and despite its odd appearance at some angles its grown on me.  I just need to rob a bank and then a another four to buy and run one :lol: