Fly eye removal

scobie140

I'm planning on removing the fly eye stuff from my rear lights as it looks naff up close and collects a lot of crap. Its been on them for about 5 years.

Anyone any experience of removing this after a long time? Is this going to be a ball ache? any lasting damage?

I've not got a lot of time off work just now so wan't to have a rough idea if its worth attempting or not.

On 21/06/2018 at 17:23, davey_83 said:

:worthless:

I'll take some If I o down the route of trying to remove it.

On 21/06/2018 at 18:55, taybo said:

Had mine on for about a year. Harder to remove the older it is and yes it does seem to leave a permanent mark where the adhesive is, even after refurbishment.

That was my worrie that after all these years it will be brittle, break up and leave the lights in a mess. Hmm don't know if its going to be worth the hassle or if I'd be better buying new lights

It will be a time consuming pain in the backside mate,

had to remove from my rear lights on my last car, it took ages as very brittle and needed a tonne of tar/glue remover to remove the glue residue, it also required a load of asetone. In the end that didn’t really work so had to polish it out, in the end it got most of it and I got the lights tinted with film instead.

16 hours ago, W8BGS said:

It will be a time consuming pain in the backside mate,

had to remove from my rear lights on my last car, it took ages as very brittle and needed a tonne of tar/glue remover to remove the glue residue, it also required a load of asetone. In the end that didn’t really work so had to polish it out, in the end it got most of it and I got the lights tinted with film instead.

You've just talked me into not doing it  :lol:

16 hours ago, marzman said:

Do you have LED or standard rear lights?  If standard then just buy another set and replace... sounds easier than removing the fly eye's.  They're about £40 a pair for non-LED lights arent they?

Just the standard, I did toy with that idea but have now ordered a set of LEDs and will put a tint film on them. So just the indicators and reverse lights to worrie about now

1 hour ago, W8BGS said:

Good idea, i had it on the front perspex Civic grill too and ended up buying the Mugen grill because I couldn’t get all the fly eye crap off

It seemed a good idea at the time ae!

I've just realised that to remove the indicator clusters to do them is a bumper off job so won't be tackling them this summer :lol: 

17 hours ago, marzman said:

Rear bumper off is an easy job.  3 screws on each side around the wheel arch, and then a few poppers on the top by the boot.

I know but then i'd need to spend ages getting all the fly eye mesh off the indicators and this would render the car off the road potentiall for a few days depending on how well it goes / work commitments, the back lights could have been put back on between fixing sessions. I'm scunnered working on the zed, anything not a 5 min job is getting put off until winter so I can just enjoy driving it while the weahter is nice. I've also neglected to change the timing belt & power steering pump on my run around for a year and a half so far cause i've always had something to do on the zed instead :lol: plus the mrs wants her brake callipers painted so we all know what will be getting done first haha.

• Like 1