Vibration when braking.

Wilbert350

Hi all, 

This is yet another issue with my 55k mile, 06 DE. 

I'm genuinely on the brink of wanting to sell the car as I've spent a fortune on it since buying and only done 4k miles. 

This is related to brakes/suspension. 

It only recently had new brake discs and pads back in March, and it's since only done 1200 miles on these. There's no signs of any problems, surfaces are shiny smooth and no corrosion. 

It started vibrating under braking (only at 60mph is this most evident, and tails off to barely noticeable around 45mph. Any braking under this speed and its smooth. And braking over 60, doesn't give any violent feedback either. 

Possibly coincidentally, this happened after having the wheels refurbished, where the body shop powder coated the wheels including the mating faces at the rear of the wheel, granted with a thinner layer as they put it. It went back in for this to be sanded off, which they've done, but the vibration is still there. 

Other symptoms at the moment are, - I thought the steering became lighter some time recently. Less responsive, easier to turn but wondered if this might be the hot weather. It felt slightly wallowy. 

On some areas of road (always the same ones that may be inclined a certain way), the steering wheel pulls under breaking. There's a set of lights locally where coming to a stop the wheel just drags to the right straight away. 

The tie rods at the front look old, but I don't know about the bushings and other rubber parts. I only hope that it's not the brakes as they are brand new and it might be the nail in the coffin of Z ownership for me if these have gone already. (RTS discs and stop tech pads). 

Any advice is greatly welcomed and thanks. 

Wilbert 

If the vehicle didn't do this prior to the new brakes being fitted, then the issue will be with the new parts. First action would be to have them removed, thoroughly cleaned up including the hub face and refitted followed by another bedding in process.

In hot weather the tyre pressures will go up a tad and if they were already for whatever reason over inflated this could cause the steering to feel pointy and light.

The previous brake discs were heavily corroded and old and vibrated terribly. That's the reason I got new discs and pads all round, the vibration was intense at any speed, whereas this time it just isn't as intense. We ensured the hubs and wheels were clean prior to fitting to make sure everything mated flat, and in 1200 miles up to now, they've been perfect. 

Regards 

W

Hi Alex, it is only experienced under braking so would this be related to wheel balancing? 

There's no evidence of imprints or deposits on the discs at all, they're totally shiny and clean. Is there any way I could remove them and very very lightly file them taking just the slightest layer off and this might remove this issue or r prevent it returning? 

The car only does on average 100 miles a week and doesn't sit with the discs rusting after rain or a wash. That and I'm extremely careful not to stand on the brakes at a stop or coming to a stop with warm brakes. 

Regards 

W

Sometimes peeps do not notice a slight wheel balance issue which can be exaggerated whilst braking through a specific speed.

However, if it is not something silly then I would be leaning towards DTV.

If you ran the car with the inner face of the wheels powder coated and only returned to get the PC removed after the vibration started then I would guess that it is too late.

You can try another serious bed in process, but you may have to get the discs resurfaced professionally and all other surfaces cleaned up.

Give Marcus a shout at:  http://www.discskimmers.com/index.html

I could ask for the wheel balancing to be checked again. 

On a more serious note, the wheels were ran with the powder coating on the inner face for around 150-200 miles. 

I would be inclined to return to the garage and complain that this has ruined a perfectly good set of brake discs, but I'm not sure how this will go down. 

Is it possible that they've been ruined in such a short time? 

Disc skimming isn't a cheap process when you've just paid over £300 to have wheels refurbished and brakes ruined, if that's what has happened. 

I keep being told they 'do the same process on plenty of other cars including Astons, Lambos and porsches and never have customers return with this issue'. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbert350 said:

I could ask for the wheel balancing to be checked again. 

On a more serious note, the wheels were ran with the powder coating on the inner face for around 150-200 miles. 

I would be inclined to return to the garage and complain that this has ruined a perfectly good set of brake discs, but I'm not sure how this will go down. 

Is it possible that they've been ruined in such a short time? 

Disc skimming isn't a cheap process when you've just paid over £300 to have wheels refurbished and brakes ruined, if that's what has happened. 

I keep being told they 'do the same process on plenty of other cars including Astons, Lambos and porsches and never have customers return with this issue'. 

Yes, running 200 miles with "contaminated" faces can cause DTV.

• 2 weeks later...

@Wilbert350 Were the pads difficult to get in at all?

I have it on my nearside caliper on the outer of the two pads. It was hard to remove the old one and hard to insert the new one, later found that the slider that the pads slide down into the caliper on were corroded and as such the pads didnt move freely in the caliper. Never really got it sorted as its hard to access/see the area in question, had to blindly file at it and hope. It did improve, but is still there once the car gets hot. 

had it pretty bad recently at japfest after 4 hot laps of the track, was genuinely scary to drive once everything got hot and expanded.

As Alex says, its either DTV issues, or the pad sticking in the caliper.

Steering rack bushes will do exactly what youve described if they are knackered, interesting you mention the turn in on your first post too. 

Balancing will affect the car when its not braking so you can probably count that out and while you cannot see disc deposits its interesting you dont suffer anything at high or low speed, it will usually get worse as you slow down more. Id check the rack bushes before spending anymore money personally :)

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2018 at 17:27, cs2000 said:

@Wilbert350 Were the pads difficult to get in at all?

I have it on my nearside caliper on the outer of the two pads. It was hard to remove the old one and hard to insert the new one, later found that the slider that the pads slide down into the caliper on were corroded and as such the pads didnt move freely in the caliper. Never really got it sorted as its hard to access/see the area in question, had to blindly file at it and hope. It did improve, but is still there once the car gets hot. 

had it pretty bad recently at japfest after 4 hot laps of the track, was genuinely scary to drive once everything got hot and expanded.

As Alex says, its either DTV issues, or the pad sticking in the caliper.

I see what you mean, but no, and actually the pads were so free to move they used to make a clack noise when changing from reverse direction to moving forward and vice versa. 

Unfortunately the car is gone now. I couldn't bear to deal with any more problems.