Average mileage before gallery gasket failure?

Kryptek49

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an HR with around 60-80K miles.

I've searched on the forum and it appears that people have gallery gaskets fail around this time -  is there an average mileage this happens around though?

If it's unfixed on a car of say 70K but shows no symptoms would you be able to use the potential repair to negotiate a lower price? 

Thanks for any advice

I think it's just luck really as to exactly when they fail, but sooner or later they will so keep that in mind.

If you're looking at a car which hasn't had them done then I'd definitely try using that to negotiate the price seeing as it's an £800 repair.

Might not work but gotta be worth a try! 

Think its just your luck as said just keep an eye on that pressure gauge! Before I sold mine it had 102,000+ on it and no signs of any issues (just keep spare cash is all I could advise or if possible go lower mileage)

Wont need doing again once upgraded. Mines on 75k ish on paper gaskets and still healthy pressure. I pray to the gasket gods each night in the hope that mine are made from the 90gsm paper and not the 70gsm we use in the photocopier at work :lol:

117k on mine and pressures are still good, this was also confirmed by Abbey pre uprev.

I watch it like a hawk but i'm not currently worried. I'll get it done when i can find someone local enough to tackle it, don't want an 8 hour job turning into a 16h due to lack of experience.

got my HR and hot idle was about 30, while i had it that dropped to 15, which is still safe by nissan spec. stayed stable like that for quite a while. but i got the gasket done anyway and sure enough a bit had cracked. hot idle is now back up to 30psi.

my zed was over 100K when i got it and now has 160K. sure it's a cost most HRs will need at some point, but for the smiles it's put on my face well worth it.