Reapplying for licence

LukeA

On 11/06/2018 at 14:24, OnlyAfro said:

ee4d221f5adb9399ee810bd4a00b7fe1.png

As far as I'm concerned, that question is asking how long you've held a Full UK-manual licence, not a specific photocard, and regardless of whether the time was consecutive. 

The only thing up for interpretation would be whether the time you were banned counts - i.e. have you had your licence for 3 years and 2 months or 3 years and 6 months.

How. Long have you held 'this' license it will be from the date you get it back. 

Using that wording. 

11 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Turn your photo card over. On the back, section 10 is the “valid from” date. This won’t change when you renew your photo card (the “issue date” in section 4a and “photo expiry date” in section 4b will however).

I’ll say that I have no idea if the valid from date will change as a result of having to reapply for a licence - I could easily argue cases for both sides though! - but if this date is changed I suspect that will have an impact on insurance, whereas the issue date is meaningless.

When you renew, it’s actually the photo that becomes invalid rather than licence; ergo the valid from date, pertaining to the licence itself, is maintained. The OP’s licence has apparently been invalidated though, so different kettle of fish... assuming it is in fact invalid currently, of course!

Renewing a license is a completely different from having it revoked and reissued 

17 hours ago, Ekona said:

What?! That’s insane. You haven’t had your licence revoked, you just had a ban: Your licence should in every way still be valid from when you passed your test! 

A ban is being disqualified, which would class it being revoked wouldn't it? 

Espically if he has to reapply for It rather than it just being handed back. 

If it is reset does that mean 6 points in 2 years and it's taken off your again? 

Screenshot_20180622-104409.jpg

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevoD said:

A ban is being disqualified, which would class it being revoked wouldn't it? 

I read that screenshot essentially as disqualification is different to revoked;

Disqualification; existing licence is still "valid" (as such) but you no longer qualify to drive a vehicle during the ban (obviously) = no new valid from date.

Cancelled/revoked; licence is no longer valid = new valid from date.

I read "new licence/one" as photo card in this case.

The same screenshot also suggests that the OP's licence won't (or shouldn't) have been revoked, but he's simply disqualified. Otherwise he can apply for a new licence now. It certainly suggests he'll have to reapply for a "new one" either way though.

TBH, I'm still none the wiser either way here. :lol:

• Like 2

Licence being revoked means that you will have to retake your test again. This means you no longer have a driving licence. You will have to re-apply for your provisional, retake your theory and then retake your practical test. Once all have been passed you will now have a new licence. When insuring your car you will put the date you passed your latest test as the date of licence held from.

If you have been banned/disqualified then you surrender your licence and it gets sent back to the DVLA for them to hold. Once your ban period is up you simply fill out the correct form and reapply for your licence back. You are simply asking the DVLA to send the licence back to you. If its a short ban you may just receive your original licence back. If its a substantial period of time then you may receive a freshly printed licence card, especially if there have been any changes to the photocard layout etc. Either way when insuring your car in this case you put down the date you passed your test. You have "held" your licence since the day you passed your test. If the insurer asks for the "issue date" on the licence then you will tell them exactly that, the date that the licence was issued.

The terminology is somewhat confusing but put simply, for you in your situation, the date you use is the date you passed your driving test. Regardless of the fact you have to reapply for your licence back you have still held the licence since the day you passed.

I can confirm this is correct from personal experience.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Erni902 said:

Licence being revoked means that you will have to retake your test again. This means you no longer have a driving licence. You will have to re-apply for your provisional, retake your theory and then retake your practical test. Once all have been passed you will now have a new licence. When insuring your car you will put the date you passed your latest test as the date of licence held from.

If you have been banned/disqualified then you surrender your licence and it gets sent back to the DVLA for them to hold. Once your ban period is up you simply fill out the correct form and reapply for your licence back. You are simply asking the DVLA to send the licence back to you. If its a short ban you may just receive your original licence back. If its a substantial period of time then you may receive a freshly printed licence card, especially if there have been any changes to the photocard layout etc. Either way when insuring your car in this case you put down the date you passed your test. You have "held" your licence since the day you passed your test. If the insurer asks for the "issue date" on the licence then you will tell them exactly that, the date that the licence was issued.

The terminology is somewhat confusing but put simply, for you in your situation, the date you use is the date you passed your driving test. Regardless of the fact you have to reapply for your licence back you have still held the licence since the day you passed.

I can confirm this is correct from personal experience.

Exactly that. ;) 

On 11/06/2018 at 18:56, LukeA said:

I won’t be using any mortorways for 4 months or any roads for that matter :lol: 

this is probably the same as 90 in a 40 etc....because you were caught before as you said prolly why its longer than 56......meaning you didnt learn your lesson. Did someone goad you into it? I always assumed over 100 was arrestable offence......lol

Edited by GranTurismoEra

4 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

this is probably the same as 90 in a 40 etc....because you were caught before as you said prolly why its longer than 56......meaning you didnt learn your lesson. Did someone goad you into it? I always assumed over 100 was arrestable offence......lol

Yeah anything over 96mph is instant court summons. I’ve seen the guidelines for court but it’s always up to the judge on the day. 

Was just me on my own being stupid trying to get somewhere to quick. 

I don’t believe you can get arrested for for speeding as I know people who have been done for 140mph and just a court summons. Pretty stupid really as he pulled me over and reported me and on the way home what’s stopping me from doing 100+ again and possibly crashing :bangin:

On 11/06/2018 at 18:37, LukeA said:

I hope it doesn’t reset then I get to keep the zed :yahoo:

i was caught at 120mph on the motorway and been done before for the same thing so the ban was longer this time :headhurt:

Bloody hell, you're learning the hard way!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

Common sense, you would hope. 

But then if you had that, you wouldn’t have been speeding there in the first place ;) :lol: 

:lol: I guessing I missing that :lol:

2 hours ago, glrnet said:

Bloody hell, you're learning the hard way!!

Yeah but you can do 100 and it just feels like cruising along. If your not prepared to pay the consequences then don’t do it as I learnt :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LukeA said:

:lol: I guessing I missing that :lol:

Yeah but you can do 100 and it just feels like cruising along. If your not prepared to pay the consequences then don’t do it as I learnt :lol:

remember they rejected the increase proposals to 80MPH on stretches outside cities. ie between birmingham and london etc..its assumed people will just do 90mph all the time claiming calibration problems.....lol