Reapplying for licence

LukeA

Hi guys

i have been banned for driving for 4 months and when my ban is over I’m required to re apply for my licence again (without doing test again). 

Does anyone know when I get my new licence will it say that I have had my licence from this year (2018) or when I passed it first time?

It makes a massive difference in my new insurance quote about 4K difference :(

anyhelp would be much appreciated,

thanks

Luke

Yeah I understand the insurance side of it but it’s when I receive my new licence what date will it say I got my licence on?

Will it say say either October 2018 or December 2014 just wondering which one it would be. 

Insurance quotes im doing now are coming in at 

October 2018 (licence date) - 1.3k

Decmeber 2014 (licence date) - 6k

We need more details here, as that's very odd that you have to reapply for your licence again: That usually only happens in medical cases, but they're usually bans for 12 months or longer. What's actually happened, and what paperwork have you been given?

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

We need more details here, as that's very odd that you have to reapply for your licence again: That usually only happens in medical cases, but they're usually bans for 12 months or longer. What's actually happened, and what paperwork have you been given?

Any ban over 56 days no matter what for you have to reapply for your licence again. I was done for speeding and the court has sent paperwork saying I will have to reapply and I have looked online and it confirms it as well :(

9 hours ago, LukeA said:

Yeah I understand the insurance side of it but it’s when I receive my new licence what date will it say I got my licence on?

Will it say say either October 2018 or December 2014 just wondering which one it would be. 

Insurance quotes im doing now are coming in at 

October 2018 (licence date) - 1.3k

Decmeber 2014 (licence date) - 6k

Doesn't matter what date is on your licence, that's not the question. You've had a full licence for 3 years and 2 months.

They don't ask when your licence was issued. Any time you lose or renew it (renewal being compulsory every 10 years), the time you've held it resets to 0 according to the date on the front, so that would be a pointless question.

Best thing to do if you're worried about it is ask your / an insurer directly. Or @DAN@ADRIAN FLUX should be able to confirm.

1 hour ago, OnlyAfro said:

Doesn't matter what date is on your licence, that's not the question. You've had a full licence for 3 years and 2 months.

They don't ask when your licence was issued. Any time you lose or renew it (renewal being compulsory every 10 years), the time you've held it resets to 0 according to the date on the front, so that would be a pointless question.

Best thing to do if you're worried about it is ask your / an insurer directly. Or @DAN@ADRIAN FLUX should be able to confirm.

Yeah is pointless it being reset to 0 but is something the court might do to “teach me a lesson”. Doesn’t make sense if would change to this year as I’ve already had it 3+ years before now. 

When doing insurance quotes they ask me how long I’ve had my licence, I’m guessing it would be the date the licence was issued and that changes my insurance drastically, just by changing that one answer. I’ll PM Dan and see if he can help. Thanks for the help

ee4d221f5adb9399ee810bd4a00b7fe1.png

As far as I'm concerned, that question is asking how long you've held a Full UK-manual licence, not a specific photocard, and regardless of whether the time was consecutive. 

The only thing up for interpretation would be whether the time you were banned counts - i.e. have you had your licence for 3 years and 2 months or 3 years and 6 months.

15 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

ee4d221f5adb9399ee810bd4a00b7fe1.png

As far as I'm concerned, that question is asking how long you've held a Full UK-manual licence, not a specific photocard, and regardless of whether the time was consecutive. 

The only thing up for interpretation would be whether the time you were banned counts - i.e. have you had your licence for 3 years and 2 months or 3 years and 6 months.

Ah sorry I see where your coming from now. I was led to believe that the photocard is your licence and I see that the date on the photocard wouldn’t matter as its only tells the date of me recieving the photocard. 

I just don’t want the insurance company to turn around if anything happens and say I only had licence from the date on the photocard. 

Ive pm’d Dan and I’ll see what he says

24 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Indeed, just ask your insurer.

However, the answer is that no, the clock does not reset. Now fess up and tell us what speed you were doing! :lol: 

I hope it doesn’t reset then I get to keep the zed :yahoo:

i was caught at 120mph on the motorway and been done before for the same thing so the ban was longer this time :headhurt:

6 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

And that's why I avoid motorways.

Long, boring straights, where even 120 feels slow and they're littered with cameras / police.

I won’t be using any mortorways for 4 months or any roads for that matter :lol: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after some phone calls to insurance company’s and dvla, I have found out that the date on my licence will be reset to this year when I get it back(new licence).  Insurance company’s will use my new licence date from this year. 

No retest though so atleast that’s something. 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

What?! That’s insane. You haven’t had your licence revoked, you just had a ban: Your licence should in every way still be valid from when you passed your test! 

I think someones got it wrong tbh. 

Personally I'd just wait @LukeA till you have your new licence in your hand and on the back it will say when you passed your test which is how long you've held a licence imho. 

Then use your driving licence number for insurance quotes online. 

Both your insurer and the DVLA are wrong. You've held your licence since you past your test. Even if you lost the books and had to resit the test, the new licence would arrive with the original pass date on the back and thats the date you use.

Yeah I’ll just wait and see what happens, hopefully their wrong. I’ve just spoke to someone at work who was banned for a year for drink driving and he also has the new date on it, different to speeding but guessing anything over 56 day ban limit has a new licence. 

I spoke to elephant and go skippy both not very helpful. 

I was banned for 14 weeks 2 years ago but as it was under the 56day limit I kept my licence. At this current time the dvla has taken my licence and will issue and new one when my ban is up. 

The date on the photocard is utterly irrelevant to anything. No-one had revoked your licence (that's the key term, not taken or anything else), you're simply on a short term non-medical driving ban. That's it.

Think about it: Photocards only last ten years. When my one was due for renewal, I sent it off and got a new one with a brand new start date on it. That doesn't mean that suddenly my licence was only starting from that date.

7 minutes ago, Ekona said:

The date on the photocard is utterly irrelevant to anything. No-one had revoked your licence (that's the key term, not taken or anything else), you're simply on a short term non-medical driving ban. That's it.

Think about it: Photocards only last ten years. When my one was due for renewal, I sent it off and got a new one with a brand new start date on it. That doesn't mean that suddenly my licence was only starting from that date.

Yeah I completely agree photo card date shouldn’t matter. The insurance company’s are saying cause I’ve been banned and my licence has been taken back by the dvla and I’ve had to reapply for a new one, that it’s classed as a new licence again. 

I think this has a lot to do with how you've phrased it to them, no offence intended. If you'd simply put down that you had your licence since the day you passed your test, but you had X conviction on Y date with Z ban length then this wouldn't even be an issue. I'm guessing you've incorrectly stated that your licence has been withdrawn or taken back or however you phrased it by the DVLA, when actually it hasn't at all. They may physically have asked for the card back back, and they may physically give you a new card, but that doesn't mean it's a new licence.

Again, if I get nicked for speeding I have to send my photocard off to be endorsed. That doesn't mean I don't have a licence in the mean time and cannot drive, nor does it mean that it's a new licence when it comes back.

You really need to speak to them again and be VERY clear in your terminology. No more saying that the DVLA have taken your licence off you, and more saying that you've simply had a ban of Z length for X conviction. It really is as simple as that, I really do think you've massively over-complicated this and confused people that you've spoken to.

I said to them that I’ve had my licence since 2013 and I’ve just been banned for 4months for speeding and you(dvla) have asked for my licence to be sent back and I can reapply for a licence when my ban is over as the court told me and the letter from you(dvla) states. What does this me for the date of my licence. 

He replied it will be a new licence and will have a new date as my current licence is now invalid. 

I don’t think he really had a clue what he was talking about as the way he made it out was that I now don’t have a licence at all now and it’s cancelled but 

I might just insure the car and say I’ve had my licence since 2013 and if anything is said then I’ll just play dumb and hope it works. 

I totally agree with what everyone is saying as there is no point in giving me a licence with a new date, I’m just saying what they told me but hopefully the person I spoke to was just misinformed. I’ll just wait it out now till my licence comes and hopefully prove the dvla wrong. 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Turn your photo card over. On the back, section 10 is the “valid from” date. This won’t change when you renew your photo card (the “issue date” in section 4a and “photo expiry date” in section 4b will however).

I’ll say that I have no idea if the valid from date will change as a result of having to reapply for a licence - I could easily argue cases for both sides though! - but if this date is changed I suspect that will have an impact on insurance, whereas the issue date is meaningless.

When you renew, it’s actually the photo that becomes invalid rather than licence; ergo the valid from date, pertaining to the licence itself, is maintained. The OP’s licence has apparently been invalidated though, so different kettle of fish... assuming it is in fact invalid currently, of course!

Edited by ilogikal1