Is a thicker oil worth it?

Chris141084

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Not at all, all that will mean is that it's a bit thicker when it's cold. It'll be exactly the same when it's all warmed up, so zero benefit really.

Would there be any advantage of going to 5w50 or is that mainly for track/race use? 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

None whatsoever. If you don't have any issues right now, no need to change :) 

Only issue I have is the usual oil burning. Goes from max to min in about 2000 miles

Edited by Chris141084

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

Reasonably high then, but not excessive. Assuming it hasn’t changed recently, I’d leave the oil alone but start saving for the engine work that’s required sooner rather than later.

Sounds like a plan. Is it just the piston rings wearing that causes the oil burning issue?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14/12/2018 at 19:58, NeeZ said:

Well my 05 Z was using oil about 1ltr every 600mls when I was using castrol edge 5w-30 then  I changed to Millers NANO 5W40-5 and so far my oil consumption has dropped to 250ml per 1200mls. 

Interesting, that's a massive difference! Did it use that much castrol oil when the oil was new? 

1 hour ago, Chris141084 said:

Interesting, that's a massive difference! Did it use that much castrol oil when the oil was new? 

Yes it used the same when the oil was new, it was not using as much oil till I changed to casrtol edge as it had just had a service/oil change done by the previous owner the garage used Fuchs 10w-40 according to the receipt that was in the car so I was topping up with this when required. I changed to Edge before I went for a tour round France last year( I had used this in previous cars and found it to be good oil), that's when I really noticed the high oil consumption after long fast distance driving 1800 miles in total and checking every day  . The millers oil is still doing well so I'm delighted:D.