Which engine oil?

Chris141084

Personally I'm running 10w40 in my DE (116k) and it's absolutely fine. I was also looking at the catch can route as a possible but was recommended to go up to 10w40 as a better alternative.

The reason being the larger lower end molecules should have less chance of passing the wearing seals.

7 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Manufacturer states 1000 miles can see 1litre usage. 

So if the manufacturer states up to 1l per 1000 miles why do people get so worried if they get to that consumption level? It's not really excessive of Nissan say that's quite normal.

Because regardless of what they say, that's not normal and is definitely excessive. That's an awful lot of oil to be using, and you have to think about where it's going. If every single engine used that much then fine, it's by design, but it's only dodgy Revup or very worn engines that do so you have to take the logical view and realise that's way too much. These are modern engines, not Italian lumps from the 1970's.

And is it not 1L/1000KM, so a fair bit more than 1L/1000mi?

7 hours ago, Flashback said:

So if the manufacturer states up to 1l per 1000 miles why do people get so worried if they get to that consumption level? It's not really excessive of Nissan say that's quite normal.

Manufactures state that to safeguard themselves I think, probably something drawn up 400yrs ago and never amended just like braking distances in the highway code LOL

57 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Manufactures state that to safeguard themselves I think, probably something drawn up 400yrs ago and never amended just like braking distances in the highway code LOL

Well we do still measure in horse power, so you might be right.