tspar

New MOT Rules - Anyone faced any issues?

They have contradicted themselves as they say you cannot drive with a dangerous on the failure sheet but in the next breath they say you can?.

So if you get the MOT done on the day it runs out (for arguments sake) and you have a "Dangerous" fault recorded then supposedly you can not drive it but below it says you can drive it to get it repaired so you don't have to be fleeced by the garage that does the MOT test would be my argument.

If the MOT has run out

You cannot drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test

I thought an mot certificate was invalid as soon as you take a new test, even if you have i.e a month left? 

So spurious isnt it, you have a dangerous problem and are not allowed to take it away, but if your mot certificate is still valid your allowed, even though you have a dangerous problem.

Seeing as your back tspar, what new exhaust rules are you on about?

Edited by Jetpilot

1 minute ago, Jetpilot said:

^^^ I thought your mot certificate was invalid as soon as you take a new test, even if you have i.e a month left? 

So spurious isnt it, you have a dangerous problem and are not allowed to take it away, but if your mot certificate is still valid your allowed, even though you have a dangerous problem.

See my post matey. They say you can't drive if you have a dangerous fail.

This is a little clearer https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018 

Dangerous - fail - can't drive anywhere, get ripped off by garage. ;)

Major - fail - can drive if previous certificate still valid.

• Like 1

I don't believe the garage has the right to withhold your car from you. If you drive off, that's on you: They have no legal charge over the vehicle.

Exactly how i read it, but you will be driving with no mot, so insurance will be invalid etc

Your insurance isn't invalid if you don't have an MOT. Never has been, I've no idea where that old chestnut started.

Well you learn something new everyday :thumbs:

Would i now presume though if your car is deemed unroadworthy (major fail) insurers will have more weight to not paying out should you crash?

Edited by Jetpilot

Probably, though if your sticking to the taking it too / from a prearranged appointment (retest or repair) I can't see them having too much leverage. 

Nah, they'd just reduce the value of the payout like they always have done.

Yeah, in reality it's just a reduction in the value of the car like if it was in crap condition, so they just go along those lines.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I thought an mot certificate was invalid as soon as you take a new test, even if you have i.e a month left? 

Seeing as your back tspar, what new exhaust rules are you on about?

@Jetpilot Not sure if there are any actual new rules mate, I was only asking if anyone with an exhaust that is not the standard one had been for one of the new MOT tests and if they had been given any grief with regards emissions. Some on here seem to suggest that the bar has been lowered with regards emissions ?

Sorry dude, it seemed a very specific question and wondered if i had missed something in the new rules.

Exhaust generally wont wont make any difference and sports cats have always been hit or miss with passing even on the old rules so you take your chances with them!

good mot station can put an additive into your petrol that passes you for emission laws ;)

A better one would find a way to do that without putting chemicals into your fuel system...

My z emissions are so clean it's just like a Micra ;)

On 08/06/2018 at 09:13, Lexx said:

I've spoken to 3 testers in past 10 minutes and none of them have heard a thing about it. 

Also googled the @*!# out of it, and not a single reference can be found. 

Not arguing about it mate, I'm only going with what I seen on the test screen & what the two testers said. Hopefully they've just had a bad update or something and it will be 0.3 on what ever garage I take it back to next year.