New MOT Rules - Anyone faced any issues?

tspar

12 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

What is the new rule?

The new MOT test was introduced on the 20th May. Just wondering if anyone's modified cars have fallen foul of it yet.

6 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Emissions haven’t changed though, they’re still the same. 

Yeah, not sure how the OP's question relates to the new rules. But regardless, HFCs can fail the emissions test unless they're hot (from what I've read on this forum anyway; I have no direct experience).

Yeah I think we're all a bit lost :lol: 

Bigger issue for most will be that a car now needs to be seriously modified into proper track/rally spec before being allowed to get away with removing airbags, non-sliding seats etc.

2 hours ago, scobie140 said:

The CO2 limit for my year of zed has been lowered from 0.3 to 0.2

I only know this as I've been having a nightmare getting an mot due to emissions.

Emissions standards edition 19 still states 0.3%....

Problem I encountered the other week was I was unable to take the car away to fix an exhaust leak myself (mig welder at home) as it failed as a major on that or a broken drop link, hand brake needing tightened.

Cost me £360 for work i could have done myself for £40 probably.

Previously you could still drive your car if your old mot had not yet expired. So whatever garage you take your car to be prepaired for them to do work on it. (don't use cheapo McCheaperson as they might be rubbing their hands with jobs they can make/screw up.)

You can take your car away, you're just not allowed to drive it if it fails, which of course causes issues for most people... Was reading something this morning about it as it happens.

Garage cannot stop you from driving your car away (even if it fails - that's your risk!), nor can they stop you from having towed elsewhere to have the repairs done.

I guess this is all to try and remove "dangerous" vehicles from the road (no bad thing), but much with anything these days, its only the generally law abiding citizens who suffer i.e take their car away, sort the problem and go for a retest, the dangerous pieces of sh*t out there are driven by people who dont even have an mot or their mate owns a garage. 

2 hours ago, longsh07 said:

You can take your car away, you're just not allowed to drive it if it fails, which of course causes issues for most people... Was reading something this morning about it as it happens.

Garage cannot stop you from driving your car away (even if it fails - that's your risk!), nor can they stop you from having towed elsewhere to have the repairs done.

Yes you are correct longsh07, i should have stated that. As you say though you would need to legally get the car towed from and back to an mot station = more than the cost of them doing the repair probably.

What? You could just drive your car home, as long as it's not unroadworthy i.e. bits hanging off and dropping oil everywhere. Doesn't even matter if the MOT has expired, you still have the legal right to drive your car to and from the MOT station.

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

Emissions standards edition 19 still states 0.3%....

Apprently not with the latest software update its been lowered to 0.2%

I watched the screen on the live readings in two different garages and both of them said 0.2 was the pass mark.

14 hours ago, scobie140 said:

Apprently not with the latest software update its been lowered to 0.2%

I watched the screen on the live readings in two different garages and both of them said 0.2 was the pass mark.

I've spoken to 3 testers in past 10 minutes and none of them have heard a thing about it. 

Also googled the @*!# out of it, and not a single reference can be found. 

20 hours ago, Ekona said:

What? You could just drive your car home, as long as it's not unroadworthy i.e. bits hanging off and dropping oil everywhere. Doesn't even matter if the MOT has expired, you still have the legal right to drive your car to and from the MOT station.

Unfortunately not. The new MOT rules have screwed us there a bit. If your car has a dangerous fault you are not legally allowed to drive it away from the garage.  You can get it towed but obviously that will cost.  

8 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Only if it's a dangerous fault, which means it's not roadworthy, which is exactly what I said ;) Anything else and crack on and drive right on home.

or a major fault. It's only minors you can legally drive away with. 

Edit: Not the case - see next post.

Edited by longsh07