CCTV

Stutopia

In the last fortnight I've pulled 2 screws and 1 nail out of my tyres, I'm starting to think this might not be a co-incedence. (I'm not seeing anyone's wife or girlfriend before you ask!) Fortunately, two of the three tyres were down to 3mm anyway, so no great shakes, but the last one was a brand spanker, so I'm a touch irritated - hopefully it's repairable. I'd always planned to get some CCTV around the house, but this has expedited my purchase.

I'm thinking 3-4 cameras, IP enabled so I can remote in, at least full HD and with a decent sized box to record plenty of footage before it loops over. Anyone bought and fitted anything they rate? I don't really want to spend more than £400.

Thanks.

Hi Stu

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I've recently got the 720p version of this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Available/dp/B074389PMT/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528142278&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=yi+home+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=31gMsvUGviL&ref=plSrch

The beauty of these is 

1. Free cloud storage for motion activated clips for one week before being overwritten.....albeit only 6 second clips, FREE IS FREE

2. The app is really good.

Let's you crop a small section of the screen that activates recording so you don't get false alerts as trees in the background move in the breeze.

I've got mine targeting only 5-10% of the screen where my zed is, as people have to walk past it to get to my front door.

This means it only records when I have people coming to my car or house and not when cars drive past etc.

Alerts are sent to your phone and time stamped.

Click and view footage on the phone.

3. The cams take a memory card, this only records when motion is activated.

The phone alerts will give you the option to watch the entire motion activated event from the SD card or just the 6 second cloud clip.

Edited by HEADPHONES

Yi home camera

This is my cam in the hall window overlooking where my zed parks.

As said before mine is only 720p.

The recording only starts as the zed moves into the targeted zone and lasts 6 seconds on cloud, bit on the SD card it'll record until I walk up my path to the house.

• Like 1

I bought one of the following from eBay recently, and can't recommend it enough:

FLOUREON 8CH 1080N Video DVR Outdoor IR 3000TVL CCTV Security Cameras System 1TB.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8CH-1080N-AHD-HDMI-DVR-1TB-Outdoor-3000TVL-Cameras-Home-CCTV-Security-System-Kit/112582291237?hash=item1a366d6f25:m:m59jyeIknIG2be73ISRyyIw

I paid £97 with a 1TB HDD, which was a bit of a bargain to be honest.  They all seem to be priced around £130 for the same spec with the HDD.

Its a proper professional quality kit.  Great software and easy to install.

Its got motion detection so only records when it detects motion, and you can include/exclude areas of the view which you want it to detect motion on, e.g. you can exclude the road if it's got frequent traffic etc.

Im not sure how long it records for, but the last time i checked it had over 1 month's worth of recording and there was still plenty of space left, and it'll just loop round when it gets full.

Here are some screenshots i've just taken from my phone (i've only got 3 of the 4 cameras hooked up, currently).

IMG_3740.PNG.cd555e1ad892f57a3f31e647748a0847.PNG

IMG_3742.PNG.5d0b6441636b05a2b3313a9784e8cbee.PNG

• Like 1

I have a HIKVision 2.4MP camera with 1TB hdd. They are set to record if there is any motion as default hence 1TB will be plenty, the only issue I have is spiders building their web near the camera lens, it moves when it has some wind hence recording almost all night (only visible at night). I have to clean it every other day but I'm planning to buy a spider repellent spray.

Their mobile app is pretty simple to set up and use for live view or remote playback. The only downside on the DVR is lack of wireless however I overcome this by using a WiFi range extender that has a network cable. But won't be an issue if your home router is nearby

5MP 4k quality is around £315 but 2.4MP will be just over £200.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision-5MP-CCTV-KIT-4K-Ultra-HD-DVR-Dome-Camera-Fix-Lens-Home-Security-System-/273203154679

Something to consider for an upgrade will be to replace one camera (main front entrance) with 'starlight' camera. This will be give you full HD coloured video at low light which will allow you to read car number plates and better at human face ID (night IR lighting will 'flash' out the number plate as they are reflective, as you can see in the night image above from Marzman)--> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Starvis-WDR-60M-IR-1080p-CCTV-Bullet-Camera-Varifocal-HDTVI-HDCVI-AHD-UK/322487066172?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50545%26meid%3Da7c5970143e0429f822934308f7267b0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D322480248365%26itm%3D322487066172&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by veeg33

Some pics below of my current CCTV system. Only have 2 cameras hooked up at the moment. 

Also caught a low life b@st@rd trying our car doors hoping to find one that is unlock. He's been trying everyone's car door as few of us caught him on CCTV. He's a regular as he has gloves, hoodie and scarf on. And a bottle of wine on the other hand. 

Screenshot_20180605-090205.png

Screenshot_20180605-090145.png

Screenshot_20180130-145457.png

I've done a lot of research and personally have bought several CCTV cameras in the past and tested them.

If you want a proper a CCTV setup then go for Dahua or Hikvision. Dahua tends to have microphones built in which is very useful. Hikvision tends not to come with microphones but some have the ability to add them on as external.

The other thing to watch out for is night vision. Often very sharp cameras do well in the day but not as good at night. There is specific cameras which are a good compromise of both - you'll find these are lower MP cameras, 2 or 3.

Some of the cameras already mentioned I've tried and think they are 'ok', but it depends what you're looking for, how many cameras, budget etc... For 400 I would say get two cameras and either a DVR or synology box.

If you need extra security like motion alerts on your phone there are some 'consumer' cameras which can do this out of the box, but i've tested the motion alerts on Spotcam and even on its lowest sensitivity will give a lot of false alerts. This is because the cameras base their motion on image changes which isn't always motion, it could be a light that comes on or something else.

Personally I would increase budget and go for a better setup - it's definitely worth the investment in the long run.

This youtube channel is very informative: https://www.youtube.com/user/useIP/videos

Send me a message if I can help anymore, I do have a few cameras lying around also depending on what you want. 

Edited by wizard
  • Like 1

Bought the yale 4 camera system, only installed 3 so far, and not tested the quality except from in my living room on initial unboxing.

Where I have the cameras mounted (under the gutters at the front, and right in the middle of the apex roof at the back) is so its discreet from the front and doesn't annoy the neighbours but obvious from the rear to deter folk from trying my garage or back doors. Stuck some signs up too at the back, don't think the cameras would have a chance in hell in picking out a face but might be able to show a time and general clothing to match with other cctv (none that I know of in the area except the local petrol station.)

The system looks good and have the ability to stream to my phone, the only issue is running a cable from my attic and the 1TB box to a phone line downstairs.

On 04/06/2018 at 21:22, marzman said:

I bought one of the following from eBay recently, and can't recommend it enough:

FLOUREON 8CH 1080N Video DVR Outdoor IR 3000TVL CCTV Security Cameras System 1TB.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8CH-1080N-AHD-HDMI-DVR-1TB-Outdoor-3000TVL-Cameras-Home-CCTV-Security-System-Kit/112582291237?hash=item1a366d6f25:m:m59jyeIknIG2be73ISRyyIw

I paid £97 with a 1TB HDD, which was a bit of a bargain to be honest.  They all seem to be priced around £130 for the same spec with the HDD.

Its a proper professional quality kit.  Great software and easy to install.

Its got motion detection so only records when it detects motion, and you can include/exclude areas of the view which you want it to detect motion on, e.g. you can exclude the road if it's got frequent traffic etc.

Im not sure how long it records for, but the last time i checked it had over 1 month's worth of recording and there was still plenty of space left, and it'll just loop round when it gets full.

Here are some screenshots i've just taken from my phone (i've only got 3 of the 4 cameras hooked up, currently).

IMG_3740.PNG.cd555e1ad892f57a3f31e647748a0847.PNG

IMG_3742.PNG.5d0b6441636b05a2b3313a9784e8cbee.PNG

I've been looking at this kit as we've had alot of breakins and cars getting nicked lately up our way. Good to hear a real review and see some real screen shots

13 hours ago, scobie140 said:

I've been looking at this kit as we've had alot of breakins and cars getting nicked lately up our way. Good to hear a real review and see some real screen shots

:thumbs:

Im delighted with mine.  The software really impresses me... and i'm a software development manager!   It's fully comprehensive and really easy to use.  The only let down was the app that they recommended for use, but it turns out these are completely generic, so i downloaded several others until I found a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marzman said:

:thumbs:

Im delighted with mine.  The software really impresses me... and i'm a software development manager!   It's fully comprehensive and really easy to use.  The only let down was the app that they recommended for use, but it turns out these are completely generic, so i downloaded several others until I found a good one.

What app did you use?

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

What app did you use?

Its for the ios, and it's called Explorer CCTV, and is made by QVIS.

It's not amazing, but it more than does the job and is free.

The CCTV software has a QR code which displays on screen, and you just take a photo of it using the app and it instantly links the app to your CCTV device.

i've got an Annke system, which i got from Amazon, its true 1080p and has good night vision as well.....4 cameras and a wired system. worth noting that with "wireless" systems, you still need to get a power supply to the camera.

I'll dump some screen shots when i get a chance

On 11/06/2018 at 06:24, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Anybody know of a y good wireless systems? My dad needs one.

I use the UCam247 system as does my mate we are both happy with them so far 

This is the cam but shop around.

https://www.cmac-cctv.co.uk/network-ip-cameras/ucam247-hdo1080plus-outdoor-ip-security-camera-2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoKf59cPN2wIVzLXtCh16QgeFEAQYASABEgJvEfD_BwE

:)

22 hours ago, Keyser said:

I use the UCam247 system as does my mate we are both happy with them so far 

This is the cam but shop around.

https://www.cmac-cctv.co.uk/network-ip-cameras/ucam247-hdo1080plus-outdoor-ip-security-camera-2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoKf59cPN2wIVzLXtCh16QgeFEAQYASABEgJvEfD_BwE

:)

Cheers dude. Looking for something higher than 1080p. Found one from Yale which does 4mp. Suggested that to him.

11 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Cheers dude. Looking for something higher than 1080p. Found one from Yale which does 4mp. Suggested that to him.

I picked up one of those Yale 4MP outdoor cams to have a play with, on the basis that they work standalone but can also be added to a larger system if I approved of the quality. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0795XM93D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I quite like it, will probably buy a two camera and recorder kit, and then add my current one as a third cam. The only down side to it is that because it forces IR at night, it's useless as a camera indoors pointing outside (I can't fit it to the external wall at my flat, but that's not an issue at my house), but that's not what it's meant for. The app is a doddle to use and set up was simples, quality looks good in my trials.

Cheers dude. You can get that camera from B&Q at the same price and seeing as my dad is part of the diamond club he gets 10% off. Partner that with paying with a gift card which he gets another 10% off, each camera will cost him £70.47 which isn't bad.

Found the 2 camera kit and DVR for £399 from safe.co.uk and if you use topcashback, you can get 5.25% back. So end cost is £378.05.