Cobra Y-pipe

W8BGS

Anyone have this and if so did it change the sound at all? I already have the middle boxes deleted and custom rear backboxes so the car sounds a lot better than stock. I just want it a tad louder. Thinking of a Y-pipe replacement. 

Don’t want to decat and not convinced by HFC’s. 

Hope to get a remap afterwards and not looking for large gains, but wonder if its possible to get the exhaust to pop a little (like an F-type does) without the HFC’s or without damaging my car! I know it won’t ever sound like an F-type and I don’t want it spitting flames, just a bit of popping would be great! 

Edited by W8BGS

y pipe will not make it louder but more of a tuned roar, I have just fitted hfc,s and felt the difference right away in the torque and it gives a nice rip going through the gears.

I have not yet remapped it yet as I am going to get the gearbox serviced first before remap, but  hfcs made a difference!  :yahoo:

4 minutes ago, nissanjuke said:

y pipe will not make it louder but more of a tuned roar, I have just fitted hfc,s and felt the difference right away in the torque and it gives a nice rip going through the gears.

I have not yet remapped it yet as I am going to get the gearbox serviced first before remap, but  hfcs made a difference!  :yahoo:

Thanks, my concern is HFC’s would make it too loud, esp with having the mid resonators removed and smaller rear boxes. I would hate to pay £500 + fitting and it be too loud for me. Also really my main concerns are failing MOT emissions, especially with the recent changes to Diesel MOT emissions, it can’t be long until petrol cars get targeted and the fact that they only have a short guarantee for the cost and heard a few things about them not lasting too long. Esp the Berks.

1 minute ago, nissanjuke said:

I hope you have not picked me up wrongly here as we were talking about y pipe concerns, the hfc,s make your exhaust a wee bit louder more of deep throaty roar.

cheers :thumbs:

I don’t think so. You basically said the Y-pipe doesn’t really make any difference. 

I was just stating why I was thinking the Y over HFC’s

Thabks for your replay though mate, all colments appreciated. May rethink HFC’s but even my mechanic thinks I would be better off just getting it mapped and leaving the exhaust as it is.

my mechanic who has the dyno set up and can remap cars recommended that I fitted hfcs before it was remapped, but it is up to everybody's choice in the matter, I am loving the car with hfc,s and love the rip of the car and it feels more torqy.  :D

• Like 1

I ran  a cat back system on  my 350z for a little while then added Cobra HFC's , the HFC's made the most difference in my opinion. And it freed up  the engine.

The exhaust had a deeper tone and was a bit louder because of them but sounded great.

Never had any issues with MOT or EML's with them.

Car on tickover was running at 78db and god knows what when giving it lots of revs, because it was pretty loud  above 4k revs.

Never remapped it as I  it was absolutely fine as it was.

Just waiting on a cobra set up for my 370z now, will be ready in a couple of weeks:D:D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nissanjuke said:

my mechanic who has the dyno set up and can remap cars recommended that I fitted hfcs before it was remapped, but it is up to everybody's choice in the matter, I am loving the car with hfc,s and love the rip of the car and it feels more torqy.  :D

I’d agree with that, if you are looking to increase BHP and want it louder then you have to get HFC’s or decat before mapping, otherwise you’d need it mapped again after fitting them. 

My mechanic was of the opinion that for £600 for hfc’s plus £500 for ecutek it was too expensive for the 15 bhp you would probably see. You can still get gains from ecutek without thr hfc’s, so he thought that £600 for 8bhp was not great.

I think personally with hfcs it completes the process having them. But I am more tempted to get the Y done and then ecutek or uprev. With it being an auto you can’t get most of be benefits ecutek has over uprev