Audi TTS

nowhereboy

Been a while since I posted on here, always like coming to you guys for opinions :teeth:. Me and the Mrs are considering selling both our hot hatches and having one sensible car and one fun car between us. The fun car would have to be something we are both happy with, budget up to about 15k. As some of you know I currently drive a CP320 Focus ST and the Mrs drives an FN2 Type R. 

The obvious choice would be a Audi TTS, unfortunately our budget wouldn't stretch to the TTRS. I'm under the impression they can be a bit of a weapon when tuned and I want something I can fettle with on the weekends. Not to worried about running costs etc but it would have to be reliable and fun to drive. 

I've watched a few youtube videos etc and it all looks pretty promising. Not sure I can cope with the hairdresser jokes which does put me off a little. Does anyone have hands on experience with the car? Would be good to hear some opinions. 

Pay no attention to hairdresser remarks.

I think the TT is a great looking car.

Dare I say I still love the original.

Not many cars that I would love to leave standard looks wise.

Doesn't need fancy spoilers or body kits.......the lines are perfect out of the box!

Someone on here posted up a video of his tuned TTS on a drag strip, absolutely drove away from the 350z it was up against. It's not an RS but make no mistake this thing was really travelling! Surprised me how quick they are.

57 minutes ago, coldel said:

Someone on here posted up a video of his tuned TTS on a drag strip, absolutely drove away from the 350z it was up against. It's not an RS but make no mistake this thing was really travelling! Surprised me how quick they are.

There's vids of tunned ttrs leaving r35 gtrs at the lights on a drag strip :wacko:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, coldel said:

From the little research I've done I believe a few breathing mods, map and injectors and you're good for near 380BHP, add AWD and launch control and it becomes a serious car.  

Quite appealing especially as good examples start from as low as 11k. 

12 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

There's vids of tunned ttrs leaving r35 gtrs at the lights on a drag strip :wacko:

TTRS has the 5pot, topgear do a video of a stock one keeping up with a GTR until silly speeds. 

Crazy given the price of them. 

Hensh is the member, couple of vids, clearly not a fair comparison as weather is not great and favours AWD (but hey it rains in England a fair bit!) but you can see on the one from inside the Zed how quickly it pulls.

https://youtu.be/89g8vLwhPt4

https://youtu.be/0GSqJegU4Go

Personally I would say forget about the hairdresser thing and go test drive some. Apparently the handling on the RS is a step above, but then so is the price with another 60% + on top.

Damn! The Z got absolutely roasted :surrender: 

Weather certainly not on it's side. 

I'm going to get out and drive one this weekend, my main concern is that it will all be a bit PlayStation and very little involvement, I like a car with a bit theater, drama etc.  

I am with Nissanman and Ekona, driven both variants of rs4 and a R8 V8 and found exactly the same, very quick but felt wooden and numb and not in the least exciting, almost like you were totally alienated from the experience, get a good drive in one first.

If that was my budget and marketplace i would be all over one of these, my sister had one and was awesome fun:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/2005-05-mercedes-benz-slk-55-amg-5-4-slk55-amg-2dr-356-bhp/8715259

or if you can up your budget a bit

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/2013-13-mercedes-benz-a-class-2-0-a45-amg-4matic-5d-auto-360-bhp/8666840

which also takes you into:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/mercedes-benz-c-class-6-3-c63-amg-7g-tronic-4dr/8515057

Or back to TTS budget

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e90-m3-07-13/bmw-m3-4-0-v8-2dr/8624729

Edited by Jetpilot

19 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I am with Nissanman and Ekona, driven both variants of rs4 and a R8 V8 and found exactly the same, very quick but felt wooden and numb and not in the least exciting, almost like you were totally alienated from the experience, get a good drive in one first.

If that was my budget and marketplace i would be all over one of these, my sister had one and was awesome fun:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/2005-05-mercedes-benz-slk-55-amg-5-4-slk55-amg-2dr-356-bhp/8715259

or if you can up your budget a bit

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/2013-13-mercedes-benz-a-class-2-0-a45-amg-4matic-5d-auto-360-bhp/8666840

which also takes you into:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/amg/mercedes-benz-c-class-6-3-c63-amg-7g-tronic-4dr/8515057

Or back to TTS budget

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e90-m3-07-13/bmw-m3-4-0-v8-2dr/8624729

All lovely cars but the maintenance and potential bill costs put me off a little to be honest, the A45 is lovely mind. 

22 hours ago, nowhereboy said:

From the little research I've done I believe a few breathing mods, map and injectors and you're good for near 380BHP, add AWD and launch control and it becomes a serious car.  

........... with Haldex :lol:

Have to be honest and say I havent driven a TT for a while but like others have said, great straightline weapon, reliable and practical and bargainous but not that much fun :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, docwra said:

........... with Haldex :lol:

Have to be honest and say I havent driven a TT for a while but like others have said, great straightline weapon, reliable and practical and bargainous but not that much fun :)

The fun factor seems like the compromise here doesn't it? 

It ticks all the other boxes and the Mrs will be happy which helps. She won't even drive the ST as it's "too much" for her :lol:

4 minutes ago, docwra said:

Yep. TBF cars are becoming less fun anyway though so its hardly bucking a trend, everything is heavy with electric steering and stability control you cant turn off :( 

Rubbish isn't it? 

Thats why I love my ST so much TBH, yes it's a front wheel drive but it's got a proper old school Turbo engine and has bags of character the modern cars seem to be lacking of. 

• Like 1

Would love an S2000 but again not suitable for the Mrs (doesn't like rear wheel drive), so it would defeat the point a little. 

The idea behind it is for her to drive the car to work etc as she only works around the corner, I'd take a run about to work and enjoy the "fun" car on evenings and weekends. It's not essential but we currently feel it's a bit unnecessary having the two Hot hatches as 90% of our driving is too work and back, I'm currently paying about £100 a week in fuel due to recently increased journey to work which is contributing to the decision. We could chop both cars in, pay less out monthly and save in fuel costs so it seems like a decent idea. 

Just need to find a car we both want enough to make it plausible.  

2 hours ago, nowhereboy said:

All lovely cars but the maintenance and potential bill costs put me off a little to be honest, the A45 is lovely mind. 

Well you can rule a few out because rwd, but if you bought right i see no reason why any of those would cost anymore than the Audi to service and maintain. same goes for your thought of an Evo X, as long as you dont tw*t around with it, should be plenty reliable.

16 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Well you can rule a few out because rwd, but if you bought right i see no reason why any of those would cost anymore than the Audi to service and maintain. same goes for your thought of an Evo X, as long as you dont tw*t around with it, should be plenty reliable.

It's so hard not to **** about tho isn't it :lol:

Absolutely :thumbs:, but apart from styling mods that was the biggest tick in the box when i bought my 350z, i really just wanted a reliable car that was a good drive. I had become so disillusioned after messing around with Rx7's and spending more time "improving" than driving, i particularly chose a car that in essence wasnt really worth f*cking around with in the performance stakes, apart from going fi, which i did in the end and just bought one done and to be fair that never let me down either.

Most of the modern turbo engines respond well to a simple map and breathing mods and if you leave it there, they are just as reliable, its only when you push on to stage 3, 4 etc that you sacrifice that reliability imho, sure Doc's 135i hasnt let him down, i would suggest one of them but seems rwd is off the cards which is a shame :( 

Personally i would be saving a little harder and getting a A45 if i was in nowheres shoes, whilst you may enjoy the tts for a while i reckon you will tire of it very very quickly.

• Like 1

Must say I completely agree with the above. Putting it into practice is another story tho. 

I find with Turbo cars the desire for more power is always there, what makes things worse is attending dyno days/meets and seeing all of the awesome high powered cars etc. It can get very expensive very quickly. It also becomes a bit of an obsession.