Audi TTS

nowhereboy

Not sure I'd consider the A45 any more exciting than the TTS tbh. Which I know will upset Colin, so YMMV etc :lol: 

Why doesn't she like RWD? If an FWD scrabble wagon terrifies her then I'm not sure you're going to do any better with anything that quick regardless of driven wheels: Our Scoob is 4WD and only 320bhp, but regardless of the 4WD it's still a proper handful if you're not on it. Any modern RWD car will come with TCS anyway, so that'll kick in if you do anything really stupid. 

Good luck mate and choose wisely, try and spend some decent time in any car you consider and try to choose something that you know will keep you smiling for a long, there is plenty out there that are plenty quick and fun enough not to worry about upgrades beyond a map or breathing mods.

Maybe the A45 isnt any more "fun" (depending on ones definition which is not quantifiable anyway), but it will handle better and offer more feedback than the TT imho, plus its way way way better looking, again imho

P.s Mr Ekona, you will be suitable upset with me, a friend has recently got his build slot for his GT3 and subsequently got a few Posrche experience days so has extended the invite to his brother and me, we could choose the car we drive, can you guess what i went for?

Edited by Jetpilot

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Not sure I'd consider the A45 any more exciting than the TTS tbh. Which I know will upset Colin, so YMMV etc :lol:

Thing is, I have never driven a TTS so I have no idea how 'exciting' it is.  Have you driven either the TTS or A45 Danny boy, or another of your armchair opinions - rather like that you have about the 370 :lol:

The '45 still puts a grin on my face every time I give it some serious exercise (after 3.5 years of ownership) and the grip level in the dry is just awesome and in the wet (with MPSS) it is simply insane.  Yet it will do knocking on 40 mpg at typical motorway speeds when sport/manual serves no useful purpose.

When I moved from the 370 to the '45 there was a need for 4 seats and for me no other hatchback offered the fun factor I was looking for, as well as meeting the practical needs.  But I seem to have an itch for something different and the need for 4 seats is no longer a box that must be ticked.  A 718 Cayman appeals as I suspect from informed reports I have read, from those who have driven them  that as driver's car there is little, if anything, in the budget range that betters one of these whether that be the 2.0lt of 2.5lt.  But it does bother me that Porsche chose to put the aural experience so low on the list of priorities and sadly for this petrolhead that matters, especially when we are talking 'sports cars'.  So, quite what I might change to next is up in the air.....but each time a get in the '45 for a squirt down my favourite twisties I start to wonder if I really do have an 'itch'!   :wacko::headhurt::doh:

Yes, I've driven a TTS and a 370  (really not sure why you persist in thinking I haven't!). No, I've not driven an A45. And? I can still make a conjectured opinion, given the basis of what it is. I get it, you like it, that's cool. You can offer your opinion Colinny boy, and that's fine. That's the best thing about the internet, we can all share what we think :) 

Like I said, I'm sure it's a very quick car, but 4WD and flappy paddles in a glorified hatchback with a turbo four-pot don't set my pulses racing. The 718 is a great car, but I wouldn't buy one based on the noise alone because it was bloody awful when I drove one. Do I get bonus points for using the underline function too?! :lol: 

I have just returned to a 370 from a remapped A45. I'll do a separate post, but the bottom line is that I found the '45 a bit sterile, despite it being streets ahead of the Z performance wise, and I found that I missed driving a manual. 

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, sipar69 said:

I have just returned to a 370 from a remapped A45. I'll do a separate post, but the bottom line is that I found the '45 a bit sterile, despite it being streets ahead of the Z performance wise, and I found that I missed driving a manual. 

tell us more!!!

I would imagine from what i am to understand of the A45 it is just so quick and has obscene grip up to the limit, but no (and i really do hate the word) "fun" past the limit, i.e it just doesnt play ball if you want to have a bit of oversteer action or make the car misbehave and this is where i hate the word fun or exciting, personally i think that sounds fun and exciting, others probably see it as dull but it is without doubt the best sounding 4 pot on the market imho, as said above its a shame the 718 doesnt sound better, but in reality the £60-£70k asking price for a GTS is what would put me off more!

FWIW I had a similar dilemma(?) recently, I was looking to sell the Fiesta ST (Great car) for something a little less practical and quicker... my list

A45 AMG (Yellow night edition thing)

TTRS

M3/4

All very capable cars and the interiors are incredible, the Audi interior on the newer models is great - the merc similar really... however and its a big one, for me they were just too soft, they dont really offer any driver involvement - the TTRS I had waited to drive for over a year and was dead excited, sounds/looks great but its a let down from a driver perspective (for me anyway), massively fast but feels over servo'd and 'safe'... probably supposed to, i knew I would get bored.

So I changed the options up and looked at the new cayman GTS (previously owned GT4 and a GTS) and a 370z (given Nissan want to give me 5k off one)

Porsche was a great car but not (imo) worth the 40k more than the Z they wanted.

Tbh I think most people would be happy with any of them, all cracking cars but it does fall down to personal taste :) good luck

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ekona said:
28 minutes ago, MrLizard said:

FWIW I had a similar dilemma(?) recently, I was looking to sell the Fiesta ST (Great car) for something a little less practical and quicker... my list

A45 AMG (Yellow night edition thing)

TTRS

M3/4

All very capable cars and the interiors are incredible, the Audi interior on the newer models is great - the merc similar really... however and its a big one, for me they were just too soft, they dont really offer any driver involvement - the TTRS I had waited to drive for over a year and was dead excited, sounds/looks great but its a let down from a driver perspective (for me anyway), massively fast but feels over servo'd and 'safe'... probably supposed to, i knew I would get bored.

So I changed the options up and looked at the new cayman GTS (previously owned GT4 and a GTS) and a 370z (given Nissan want to give me 5k off one)

Porsche was a great car but not (imo) worth the 40k more than the Z they wanted.

Tbh I think most people would be happy with any of them, all cracking cars but it does fall down to personal taste :) good luck

I will be going to test drive a few cars before making any solid opinions but I suspect after reading this thread I may feel the same way. If I can persuade the Mrs to drive a rear wheel coupe it will open up way more options. I'd love a Cayman S but potential engine issues are a bit off putting. 

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

If they're in budget then a 987.2 has zero of the main engine issues (D-chunk, oval bores, IMS failure etc). Plus better ICE as well!

Would that be somthing like this one ? https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-987-gen-ii-24v--------just-20400miles----over-13000-factory-spec----2010-60--aerokit/8661631

I quite like that i bet it would be awsome on our annual Europe 

Trip 

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

Great cars. I nearly bought a cat d a few months back. Interior feels like something out of a super car. Virtual cockpit, dials are lovely and the seats are really nice. 

4wd isn’t as much fun as rwd but you can drive hard all year round. 

Edited by Kev

On 28/05/2018 at 14:59, coldel said:

Someone on here posted up a video of his tuned TTS on a drag strip, absolutely drove away from the 350z it was up against. It's not an RS but make no mistake this thing was really travelling! Surprised me how quick they are.

A standard TTS would destroy a 350/70z. They’re a golf r in drag. 

5 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Would that be somthing like this one ? https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-987-gen-ii-24v--------just-20400miles----over-13000-factory-spec----2010-60--aerokit/8661631

I quite like that i bet it would be awsome on our annual Europe 

Trip 

Thats a late one, and is bottom end of 981 money which for me was a better car .......... and now youve got me looking as well, thanks a bunch :lol:

2 hours ago, docwra said:

Thats a late one, and is bottom end of 981 money which for me was a better car .......... and now youve got me looking as well, thanks a bunch :lol:

I realy do think it will be somthing for me next 

It's nearly half the power of my z but I bet it's so nimble you can use every last bit of its power 

Why would you say it's a better car than the earlier ones then 

Educate me :)

Pretty much everything - feels better balance, noticeably more grip, more power and feels like a more responsive engine, PASM works better and I havent driven a 987 with PDK :lol: 

Interior more modern, I think they look nicer too. TBF I have only driven a 987.1S "spiritedly" and gave a 981S absolute death but I loved the latter where I onlyly really liked the former :lol: