Fatal attraction - New Type R

GranTurismoEra

When these first came out on the old shape I thought someone was having a laugh, then they americanised the shape. But then I saw a sonic grey type R the other day and thought well thats different. 

As with the Z its not everyones cup of tea, which is what attracted me more. The Z nismo looks like a supercar from 2004, and turns heads everywhere.

But im starting to look at the type R differently. Ive had civics before so im a honda follower plus their customer service is really good. I encouraged my ma to get a crv full spec which she still has now. I like the tech in their cars. What you guys think of the halfords *coughs* Honda Civic type R? A bit extreme?

I dont like having what everyone has. So looking for my next car to be a bit more rare.

DOBvjlIW0AEdCCX.jpg

Ugliest car produced in about 20 years. Hideous in every single way, and even though I buy ugly cars as long as they drive okay, even I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those. 

In ten years' time, people won't be able to give those things away.

• Like 1

I hate the wings I also hate the rear plastic hex vents which are on all models they just look daft and push the waist of the car up too high, the base models look even more ridiculous. I'm sure they're fun but they look fussy and over styled. I think the z has aged so well because its fairly minimalist there's little to hate about it!

I would love to know what sort of conversations are happening at Honda over this continuing ugly styling. I wonder if its deliberate, that being that ugly is actually the point of the car now?! 

10 minutes ago, coldel said:

I would love to know what sort of conversations are happening at Honda over this continuing ugly styling. I wonder if its deliberate, that being that ugly is actually the point of the car now?! 

I think Chris Harris was pretty on point when he said the car was clearly designed to appeal to a younger audience, but what younger audience can afford a £35k car or get insured is a different discussion entirely!

Well also if you had £35k why would you pick this? Most people would be looking at an M4 etc, just don't see what they're selling them based on and again lots of the weird style choices roll down and pollute the base models which surely aren't being sold to kids?! 

Sure the base model is poor, but i would imagine a lot of older customers are basing their purchase on many factors, price, warranty, service, economy, reliability, looks probably comes at the bottom of the list, only assuming by the way :) 

M4 are £56k list so not in the same ball park.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Sure the base model is poor, but i would imagine a lot of older customers are basing their purchase on many factors, price, warranty, service, economy, reliability, looks probably comes at the bottom of the list, only assuming by the way :) 

M4 are £56k list so not in the same ball park.

Lol m4 a totally different league. 324 for sale in uk....I considered it too, maybe in a few years time when depreciation has slapped it left and right. 

If I got that I feel resale would lose me a bit of money. Plus its got abs failure and some other issues that made ppl sell it

Aside from the main things you listed ppl will be thinking dealer service warranty and how easy is it to tell honda to fix somethin compared to audi etc....

3 hours ago, MDMetal said:

Well also if you had £35k why would you pick this? Most people would be looking at an M4 etc, just don't see what they're selling them based on and again lots of the weird style choices roll down and pollute the base models which surely aren't being sold to kids?! 

35k could get you a nice used m4, audi tts, a45, e350, z435!, a lot of cars have dropped you could pick up. Or you could pick up audi a5 17 for similar near new. Depends what you want. An older cayman. Because newer would be 60k

Theyve got lots of tech, also they wont be selin loads due to the looks, they can play on the rarity factor, also its the quickest production fwd. The ugly styling serves an aerodynamics purpose apparently. Its prolly faster round the track than my Z being lighter and cornering faster. Who knows

24 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Sold out, selling at a premium and a full order book, how is that a flop?

Didn't they only bring a very limited amount to the UK, I know US dealers still have new cars on the lot after sometime 

Just looking the two dealers in florida I know of still have new cars on lot. And few articles surfaced that say Honda have managed to sell a total of 2 in Australia since going on sale. 

It not the a flop as Honda even admit it will sell in small small numbers but then the original nsx was the same 

6 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Sold out, selling at a premium and a full order book, how is that a flop?

Why they have 5 sitting in hendon? American forums saying its not selling. There are a few on autotrader, cheapest last time I checked £130,000

It failed, due to high price, cheap plastic interior. The car came out 3 years too late. In need to a refresh and a diff price point. Who would buy it when you can pick up a maclaren 720s, amg gtr, audi r8 and huracan.

£170,000 for a specced up honda, thats not a patch on the original. 

Customers cars waiting to go out, a cancelled order or two, you tell me, have you asked? If you want a Nsx, the order book is full, thats not a flop in my books, regardless of your opinion of the car.

Who would buy it, no idea, i wouldnt, i would much prefer any of the cars you mention (apart from an r8), even though the 720's and huracan are in a different price bracket entirely, but if you want a hybrid.....

I think i get the picture, some rose tinted specs to the original, i think its fair to say the original was equally as poorly received if thats your take, more so if anything, it was nothing special to drive (yes i have had the "pleasure" for a couple of months while trying to sell for a friend who moved overseas), i think it went for £17k in the end, no one wanted them, just because they are strong money now, doesnt make them any better.

I’d say that in terms of sales the new NSX may not be a flop, but in the minds of the public it definitely is. It’s been pretty much forgotten about already, which is a shame. 

The right tech perhaps, but the wrong design and definitely the wrong price point for ‘regular’ Honda fans to take seriously. 

But still better looking than the new CTR ;):lol: 

• Like 1

Problem is the point of the original nsx was a reliable affordable supercar, these days supercars are reliable so your now down to badge snobbery and rightly or wrongly Honda aren't at the top of the list

^^^ Maybe thats the problem with both, 55-60k in 1991 was not affordable and i would say badge snobbery came into it back then to. 

Ekona puts it well, but i cant think how Honda could have released it with the sort of tech it has and it be any cheaper, i guess it had to be GTR like, bargain price and a giant slayer.

i put money this happening with the new supra, the hype of the nsx was pushed for so long that when it eventually went on sale it was kinda of very very old news it felt like it had been out years without actually being on sale 

• Like 1