New wing.. looks like crap!

Foo56

So I bought a carbon fibre n1 siebon wing (or so I was told it was siebon). So I removed the small spoiler, cleaned up the glue etc and test fitted it.. looked like crap! Was not level on the side and chips etc.

So I took it to my guy to fix who’s done a lot of work for me over last few years always to a high standard. As the rear bumper didn’t match the boot anyway I asked him to install it and blend the rear bumper and few other bits. Asked him to sand back the uneven bits and make sure it’s level etc.

I picked it up today.. paint looks great but he’s used tiger seal as a filler and even done a poor job of that.. and hasn’t painted over it! Looks good from a distance but dog @*!# up front! He’s also drilled new holes in the boot further down than the boot liner covers.

To make matters worse, the rear wiper was put on wrong.. when I turned it on, it smacked the spoiler and has already damaged the paint!!

Not sure how to proceed on this.. I’ve lost trust to take it back so just going to argue the bill and take it elsewhere. Unsure if I should try to smooth out the tiger seal and take it elsewhere to paint over it or have it totally removed and redone by somewhere else... opinions please?28534AF0-D280-4373-A623-C585385C8ABF.jpeg.7bb47855d2b6e716a5bb95d002080c53.jpeg

Already spending a fortune in the car I can’t really afford another trip to body shop but I’m a perfectionist and it will do my head in it if I don’t!

408C2FCB-1757-449D-B87B-169A2B41F921.jpeg

9E9C898C-A71E-4F77-8D4E-9B5D8C607FC7.jpeg

90450599-C6D1-41A2-8904-15BE37F1184A.jpeg

F73FDD97-44EC-40EC-BA65-BEFD05129C67.jpeg

4DFFF965-7CBD-44D1-8159-7382237B213A.jpeg

I am very surprised that you accepted the job and paid for it.

Did you not check it before you handed over your hard earned?

Unfortunately, you really do have to give him a chance to right his wrongs I am afraid.

However, if you have not paid for it then you can certainly argue the bill.

Yea I know I have no intention of just leaving it I just needed to take the car so didn’t have time to argue it all then and there and I know the guy and confident he’ll sort it out. I’m just ranting to be honest... Just shocked it was even left like that.

Seems to be fitted too far back from what I can tell. It should line up with the line on the rear of the boot or just in front of it. That’s why you’ve got visible fixing holes and a big gap full of tiger seal

Edited by SHEZZA

8 hours ago, SHEZZA said:

Seems to be fitted too far back from what I can tell. It should line up with the line on the rear of the boot or just in front of it. That’s why you’ve got visible fixing holes and a big gap full of tiger seal

Yea I’d even test fitted it and checked that the bolt holes on the spoiler lined up with the boot holes.

the spoiler needed reworking before putting on regardless as when test fitting I showed him it was uneven so there was a gap either way. I went through it all with him but turns out he farmed it to his mate who helps him out and he’s bodged it. 

I’m sorting the money/fixing aspect of it out, I’m more worried about how it can be fixed? To me it needs taking off, reshaping, repainting and then bolting back on as I had initially asked but what would normally be used around the edges? I’m assuming not tiger seal used as filler!

Edited by Foo56
Typo

So I got the money back and going to take it elsewhere which is already been an got quoted for.. went over it with him and talked options but we decided that’s the best way forward for several reasons.

Frustrating as I’ve got to Now drive around with this @*!# on the car for another week!

Do think will look good when it’s on properly - favourite spoiler for a 350 so hopefully be worth it in the end!

He was apologetic - His hired help had fixed it on after he had painted it and was too late to change it by then he said. The hired help did duck out sharpish once I started questioning how @*!# it looked..

He's done work for me in the past and it's been to a high standard so could well be that the other chap just let him down. Either way, I've got my money back and going elsewhere.

I assume he didn't check the work prior to you picking it up then? Frankly I wouldn't care who did the work if it left unchecked it's still the owners mistake. I never understand how these things happen surely everyone involved knew it was @*!#, why not just come clean right away

I feel your pain, I'm amazed someone would just use tiger seal and then leave it at that, surely it should have been filled and then painted over?! And what moron doesn't dry fit first to make sure it doesn't impede the wiper.

I had the same spoiler fitted to mine a few weeks ago, but the poverty spec version not the carbon fibre.  They had to take off the standard mini spoiler and prep the area first due to the standard running the full length of the boot, whereas the new one didn't.  With mine being black it hides any imperfections but like you I have gone over it to see examine the workmanship.

Rightly so getting your dosh back, but it sounds like you were a bit unfortunate with him getting the 'hired help' to fix it.

A decent body shop will get that off, prep the area and repair any damage, mark it up dry, fit it properly and then blend it in.  Not sure if you have found someone already to do it but I always like to find someone with outstanding google reviews, fortunately the guy that did mine was more of a perfectionist than me. 

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

10 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi mate I can recommend a body shop in Bristol called Peels  motor craft they are based in crew's hole road they fitted body kit for me and done a great job if that's any help

Cheers for that - I did go to Peels and was trying to decide against them and another garage I went to. As the other garage gave me a fixed price and said "I won't accept payment until you're 100% happy" and could do it 1 month sooner so I went for them after they showed me examples of their work and some projects they're working on at the moment.. He's charging me £600 to get it all sorted, Peels estimated £855 and said it could easily go up if they have to repaint the bootlid (which I suspect they will). I had other quotes ranging between £400 to £1000 (which I thought was a bit excessive!).

Fingers crossed... I have trust issues now but as he's done fixed price and was very keen to get across if I'm not happy with it, he'll redo it until I am so hope I made the right choice!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the motor back and all sorted. Happy with it now - took a lot of work to build up more CF and reshape the underside of spoiler and is actually mounted in the correct spot now!

Really happy with it and think it improves the look of the car.. though the body shop accidentally scratched part of the door while it was in their workshop!!! They’re fixing FOC no problems (as to be expected).  Pain in the arse but accidents happen and he was very apologetic at least.

559A84D7-090E-4FDE-812F-DF5217DABF15.jpeg

B00E0AE6-4733-41A0-9479-7EEAA146E98A.jpeg

8147BF41-080B-45B1-8A2F-223685BE7119.jpeg

4FF73EC7-6E72-4A6E-A8C0-8CC6E0FF9269.jpeg

Edited by Foo56