Do you get bored of cars quickly?

Blocko

I am rather fond of my Zed. Cleaned up the Azure blue looks awesome. The car is more than fast enough for any UK road. The exhaust Roars. People say how much they like the car. The insurance isn't bad. It ticks off so many boxes (That's why I got it in the first place) yet I find I'm becoming increasingly bored.

I've had it almost 19 months now which is actually a record.

Its not the first car I've got bored of. I've had 26 in 17 years of driving. Its not even that I've had boring Cars yet always I start to crave something different. I almost sold up last year but instead fitted a new exhaust which gave the car a new lease of life but that's wearing off now.

Does anyone else have this problem? I was really hoping that the Zed would see me for 5 years (Still paying off Wedding debts) but I can't help trowelling through the classifieds to see what is about.

It's all personal preference really, I had my zed for almost six years and didn't really get bored of it.

You sound like you like to change cars a lot so why not change unless you have a really clean example.

Could always buy another if you change your mind. I never liked all the paper work and uncertainty of changing cars often.

Yeah i am pretty much the same, funnily enough the 350 was probably the longest i had a car for a quite some time and only changed to a supercharged one because i just couldnt say no to the price.

I find i change for a few reasons, my driving habits change, i.e wanting to spend more time at the track or road, finances have allowing the purchase of something previously out of touch or depreciation brings something into budget, or simply something catches my eye that previously i hadnt even entertained and thought i should have one. I have even got out of one thing into another and back into what i had before because it wasnt as good as you thought. You are a long time dead, enjoy whatever you can, when you can.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I got this particular car from a dealer at the wife's insistence (My last private purchase had issues and it was easier to agree). So if I sell I'll lose more than I really want to.  And because of debts I'm not really in a position to spend more on the next car than what the 350z sells for. And I do actually have a nice example.

Really I want to want to keep it but unfortunately I actually want to change. Already been hinting to the wife saying we need something more 'practical' rather than admitting to her that I'm just bored yet again....

What are the competitors you are looking at as a replacement out of interest??

The zed was the longest car I'd ever owned also had it 19 months too (apart from my 1st car, 3 years with a 1.2 corsa) it was also the 1st car I had ever modified I think that was what kept it interesting. I'd do a little something then a month or 3 later when I were bored I'd look through some build threads and find another mod I wanted to invest some time and effort into.

I did always think I wanted more power when I was getting abit bored so would look on the old tauto trader, but for the money and reliability of the zed like you say, its sounds the nuts, looks like a proper sports car, and is plenty fast enough for anyone you really cannot beat it unless you have expendable funds to lose money on the z and throw at another car.

I always used to be until I got my zed, I'd had about 20 cars before I was 30, but my car seems to tick all the boxes for me and can't see me changing it for many years, especially once it gets supercharged. I guess it helps that it's not a daily driver, my wife's got her own car and my daily is my van so driving the zed is just for fun :) Only thing that would make me get rid though would be I won a few grand on the lottery and I could get a v10 R8!

16 hours ago, Blocko said:

Does anyone else have this problem? I was really hoping that the Zed would see me for 5 years (Still paying off Wedding debts) but I can't help trowelling through the classifieds to see what is about.

Oh gosh yes! It is a terrible affliction. The number of cars I have owned is ridiculous, and bikes...

Fortunately I am pretty good at finding the good deals so have not lost too much financially.

My Z's have lasted far longer than most, in fact was beginning to think I was cured, but not long had the Nismo and already started to look around. This weeks 'want' is an A45 AMG but no doubt that will change again next week.

Moved from Zed, to VX220, to R33 now in an ST205! Actually have stuck it out with the Celica longer than I expected I love changing cars also but it ticks many boxes (more than the Zed unfortunately) - I do have my eye on a few alternatives in the future though, but for now happy in my old Toyota! 

I'm quite fancying a EE55 AMG. I have a C180 Elegance atm insured as a classic and I love it, so it does tempt me to get a big power Merc...

Really I need something bigger. The Zed is cool but nothing fits inside it. And the Wife has a Fiat 500 so during recent home improvements getting kit to the house was a 'mare.

Edited by Blocko

I spend a lot of time choosing my cars to start with and then find theres not really anything else I want to replace them with - a few well placed mods always helps too. Problems is Ive now got money that I need to spend on something but there isnt anything that I actually want to replace them with and Ive run out of parking so cant add more :(

I looked at E55's - great engine but the BMW's (M3, M5) are better in most other areas 

I do get bored of cars easily but I've come to realise it depends on how you use them most of the time. As it happens, my 350Z is the car I've owned longer than any other (since 2012).

I used to do about a 6 mile commute through town five days a week with it, that was miserable and made me dislike the car. There was one short stretch of national speed limit road but it was single lane and usually busy so topped out a 50 on a good day... Same experience I think is what lead me to sell my MK2 MR2 which I had previous to the 350Z, biggest car regret to date. 

I since moved and now have a 15 mile commute to the same place but its basically the total opposite. Practically every road is national limit with only a couple of short 40 and 30 sections. There is also a couple of bits of dual carriage way too :teeth:. Being able to actually stretch the car's legs makes such a difference to my enjoyment of the car. While I was on the verge of selling the 350Z before I moved, I would be very hard pushed to sell up now!

1 hour ago, longsh07 said:

I used to do about a 6 mile commute through town five days a week with it, that was miserable and made me dislike the car. There was one short stretch of national speed limit road but it was single lane and usually busy so topped out a 50 on a good day... Same experience I think is what lead me to sell my MK2 MR2 which I had previous to the 350Z, biggest car regret to date. 

I do expect I have part of the same issue. My commute is 7 miles each way but busy and county lanes. And then if me and the wife go out on weekends we tend to take one of the other cars so we can get shopping, passengers or the dog inside of it so the 350z rarely gets a proper run.

That said I used to do a longer commute in previous cars and they all got sold on relatively quickly. I think no matter what car I have or the nature of the journeys I will always want something else....

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:05, Blocko said:

Already been hinting to the wife saying we need something more 'practical' rather than admitting to her that I'm just bored yet again....

Humm just be careful where that line of thinking leads.....the result will also sort out any 'borden' issues you have with life in general, you can also kiss goodbye to any concept of sleep!! 

Edited by gangzoom

I really missed having a convertible when I went from my S2000 to my first hard top 350Z. So changed to the roadster which I had for 3 years but never really liked the look of the rear of the 350Z roadster and wanted more seats so I was looking for something eye catching that was a 4 seater convertible and everything within the price range I would pay was a BMW or Merc and I just don't find them eye catching enough. Too many on the road now. I sacrificed the 2 extra seats and went 370Z roadster but always keeping my eye out for anything that may tempt me away for under 20 grand which has 4 seats and convertible and nothing has took my fancy yet. Been toying with getting a DB9 soft top which is more money >35 grand but I cant see these dropping in price much more and might even increase so probably wouldn't lose in depreciation anything like you would on newer cars and you get to say you on an Aston B)

if i like a car i keep it, until i feel it's time to move on, as there are so many great cars i'd like to mod to my taste and have fun with. Thankfully it's a handful of cars i like, so i can spend many years with them rather than only spending a year or so driving it about before pushing it on. 

I tend to find I keep cars for a good while. Looking at my last 3 cars, ive kept them 4 years, 18 months, 4 years and ive had my current car for 2 years now. In general the biggest loss you make is in depreciation when you come to sell a car and if im happy with a car I dont see the point of changing.

I did very briefly toy with the idea of moving my current car on a few months back, but instead invested in having its suspension all setup correctly for fast B roads. Now I cant see me ever selling it unless I have to. Ive also several boxes full of performance upgrades for it sitting in the garage waiting to fit. Unfortunately my house builder is spending all my cash like its going out of fashion so the car upgrades will have to wait a bit longer.

• 1 month later...

I am the exact same, I’m on my 10th car in 5 years. I also usually own two cars at once, currently got the Zed and a focus. Before I had a 1 series and 3 series. Or I own a motorbike and a car! I’m now looking to shift the Zed to get another motorbike! I get really annoyed with myself that I keep changing because I lose so much money but I just can’t help changing all the time! Even having two deer ate vehicles doesn’t do it for me! 

1 minute ago, Lifesabeach26 said:

I am the exact same, I’m on my 10th car in 5 years. I also usually own two cars at once, currently got the Zed and a focus. Before I had a 1 series and 3 series. Or I own a motorbike and a car! I’m now looking to shift the Zed to get another motorbike! I get really annoyed with myself that I keep changing because I lose so much money but I just can’t help changing all the time! Even having two deer ate vehicles doesn’t do it for me! 

And in fairness I’ve always had cars I’ve never been that into but I just panick buy, here is a few photos of my drive over the past 2 years

Jeez, 3 cars at one point haha

B73E53C0-6728-4C1A-9229-2D25289CEDBB.jpeg

A3092BA8-9FC3-424D-AE3C-2D198A7E033B.jpeg