350z to E46 M3, what do you think?

Rob350

I've not been on here for a while and i have missed it thoroughly. Im liking the new game you guys have come up with (guess the car part) really tests your knowledge as a petrolhead.

Anyway, unfortunately I ended up getting rid of the z that I truly truly adored for 18 months because I love Jap cars and was enjoying the modifying game.

So my new new purchase was abit of a impulsive buy, I nearly bought an m3 before the z, I never test drove one though and talked myself out of it because I thought it would be really expensive to repair and read alot of expensive faults (subframe,vanos,bearings etc)

My car choice was.. reliable, rear wheel drive, something faster or even to the z, not a small coupe/convirtable like z4 etc, although I do really like them, and not turboed.

So I thought I'd just see what I think of the m3 as one was just round the corner from me, I had absolutly no intention of buying it, it was purly to see if I like the drive and size with the extra seats.

Well I loved it... there was a shed load of paperwork with it only 4 previous owners last one had it 5 years doing 4 to 6 k miles a year, regular services and no expense spared. I came away from the test drive wanting more and thinking of how much I liked it and couldnt really think of any other car I liked the look and performance of. After 2 days of scouring autotrader for rival cars to try I couldn't stop thinking of the m3 so I put a deposit on the car and decided to try ownership of a famous the famous m3 chassis and after 6 weeks I'm not dissapointed.

Sorry for the long intro guys, after a good 5 hours of cleaning, glazing and waxing today hear are some pics.

20180520_204718.jpg

20180520_204654.jpg

20180520_204643.jpg

20180508_140915.jpg

• Thanks 1

Also, It wouldnt be a true day of car cleaning if a bird doesn't come along at the end of the day and show you what he thinks of all your hard work haha (front wing)

Have any of you had an m3 before??

What did you think?

What other cars would you guys go to look at as a competitor to the m3?

20180429_201022.jpg

Edited by Rob350
  • Thanks 1

Mate had a convertible SMG one for a bit, it was great fun on track and I distinctly remember being so impressed with the feedback from the chassis within a couple of corners that I turned the TCS off despite saying that I wouldn’t :lol: it inspires such confidence, very easy to drive quickly and relaxing too.

I'm loving the fact that it's got all the luxurys but then get to a good back road and it's just as good handling as the z if not better, iv just got bc coilovers on now and thas improved again. I'm off to nurburgring in 3 weeks so let's see what I can do, I got 9 mins in my z last year, I'm aiming for around 8 30 in the m3.

I've not had an M3 but I had a E46 330ci for a while a few years back. I fell in love with how it looked. It performed well (246bhp) but I lost interest quickly because it was too smooth and well put together that it became boring. Maybe with the extra power the M3 offers it might have lasted longer.

Also I loved the toys. The Zed is newer but the specification is lousy compared to my old BMWs 18k of optional extras.

Good ones are starting to appreciate. If those wheels aren’t reps they’re worth a few quid too. 

I think a standard e46 is much more desirable than a modded one. 

Like you mention. The subframe issue is a big one. 

Edited by Kev

2 hours ago, Rob350 said:

I'm aiming for around 8 30 in the m3.

If only the E92 looked as good as the E46 i would have one in a heartbeat.

I dont want to rain on your parade, but i would be gobsmacked if you found 30 secs, unless it inspires so much more confidence than the Zed, the two are actually very very similar paced around the ring (if you pay any attention to ring times), 4 secs to the M3 with the same Horst von Saurma at the wheel.

29 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I dont want to rain on your parade, but i would be gobsmacked if you found 30 secs, unless it inspires so much more confidence than the Zed, the two are actually very very similar paced around the ring

When I was there last year in the z (DE) I ended up racing/not racing ;) an e46 m3, he were behind me and on the straights here were catching me and could easily have taken me on every straight, i kept pulling to the right and letting off a bit but he wouldn't pass.

I were flying through the corners leaving him on every corner, after the lap I went and spoke to him and said how come you didn't pass, he said he wernt confident enough to go through the corners like i was and was happy following.

on my 9 01 lap I did take about 7 or 8 corners over causiosly, the dangerous ones that people crash on by themselves not oil/coolant like miss hit miss (3 apex off camber corner), the lefthander down hill at the end off the 1st straight before the foxhole, and the corner before YouTube corner coming downhill to the right, and on the straights I were braking pretty early too, I reckon if i give all I was confident in I could have got around 8 45ish but wasn't willing to risk my ride home haha

On another note, there is a guy on YouTube (Danny dc2) who has the same setup as me (stock car with bc's and 18inch ad08rs) and he's just been and got 8 02. He has been going for 5 years in his stock engine track stripped dc2, but this was his 1st rear wheel drive track driving. So Im thinking 8 30 is pretty do able, iv got around 30 laps under my belt so far. Don't get me wrong its not a target for me by any means, I'm not pushing for times its just an assumption of what i think ill be capable and confident to do. The m3 leaves the z in the straights no problem so i will make up a lot of time just driving in a straight line haha and with bc's on compared to just lowering spring on my zed it handles extreamly well if not better. I only just found out today aswell that the m3 is actually lighter than the z which i didn't expect.

2 hours ago, Kev said:

If those wheels aren’t reps they’re worth a few quid too. 

Unfortunately they are csl "style" alloys :surrender::blush: but not crappy unbranded reps, there made by avant gaurde so not a bad brand I don't think

Genuine csl alloys are around £2k and are only 19inch

The original 19s that came on the car with low profile tyres were really crashy, so i went 18s for comfort and performance and also cheaper tyres lol

Just shadowing what some people are saying, my old man's got an E46 M3 with other M cars with the same beaut of an engine, it seems the low mileage, clean, manual examples seem to be appreciating strongly and all others holding their value very steadily!

Driving back to back to my 350z, it seems a bit of a lazy slouch :lol:

Z4M coupe is the one you want if you have deep pockets as the prices are only going one way :p

Looks a lovely example from the photos (csl style alloys a great asset) and good service history is a must with these as this one has! Looks like a winner :)

Furthemore if you ever do need any bits or have any technical queries, give Ben @ Hackengineering a call! 

20180519_162913.jpg

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG-20180518-WA0001.jpg

2 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

Just shadowing what some people are saying, my old man's got an E46 M3 with other M cars with the same beaut of an engine, it seems the low mileage, clean, manual examples seem to be appreciating strongly and all others holding their value very steadily!

Driving back to back to my 350z, it seems a bit of a lazy slouch :lol:

Z4M coupe is the one you want if you have deep pockets as the prices are only going one way :p

Looks a lovely example from the photos (csl style alloys a great asset) and good service history is a must with these as this one has! Looks like a winner :)

Furthemore if you ever do need any bits or have any technical queries, give Ben @ Hackengineering a call! 

20180519_162913.jpg

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG-20180518-WA0001.jpg

Seems like hack engineering is the man to know, in the 1st 2 weeks of owning it I had heard of them off many other people on the m3 forum and bought the front and rear suspension strut mount reinforcement plates off them for my coilovers :thumbs:

I would have adored a z4m absolutly but unfortunately my budget would only let me have a roadster version. Also i didn't really want a small cockpit car (I used to have an s2k) but I would have definatly forgotten all about the small cab and bought the 1st one I seen if i could have afforded a coupe haha, absolutly beautiful cars, there's one that drives around my area not very often though and I love seeing it, iv have once even followed it for 10 mins in the opposite direction I wanted to go just to admire it some more :teeth:

Have to say I agree, M3 is better car but Zed is a bit more fun, I always found it a close run thing between the two on track. I have a good friend who has done a 7.42 BTG in an E46 M3 - car was setup for Ring and hes done over 1000 laps though so might not be immediately repeatable :lol:

Z4M is a good investment for sure but a sub 10K miles 1M is 50K+ now, even relatively high miles cars are going for around 40K. I missed out on the last one from new by about 15 minutes too :surrender:

Are the front and rear wheels the same size? On my monitor from those pictures, the rears oddly look smaller...... Nice car btw, had a play with one at Silverstone and was happy with how my Zed kept up.

12 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Are the front and rear wheels the same size? On my monitor from those pictures, the rears oddly look smaller...... Nice car btw, had a play with one at Silverstone and was happy with how my Zed kept up.

Yea the alloys are 18s front and back, rears 9.5j front 8.5j.

My first ever brand spanking new alloys I've ever bought, iv always made do with the average condition stock alloys on other cars i have owned.

I have to agree with the above, driving the z though not as fast definatly got the senses tingling, that V6 rumble will be missed so bad as that's the main reason I got my z in the 1st place haha.

I did toy with the idea of going up to the 370, but couldn't justify losing money on my 350 and putting a good wedge to a 370 which is basically the same car just slightly faster and better looking.

I do however have no doubt that I will be back in a z in a year or so. My gf loves the 370 convirtable (her 2nd favaorite car ever) and has been saying since the day i got my 350 that one day she's going to spoil herself and get a 370 convirtable... or a GTR (her absolute favourite car) she's got good taste :teeth:

2 hours ago, docwra said:

Z4M is a good investment for sure but a sub 10K miles 1M is 50K+ now, even relatively high miles cars are going for around 40K. I missed out on the last one from new by about 15 minutes too :surrender:

F8ck a stoat :wacko: and i thought some of the jap stuff was a touch on the high side.

58 minutes ago, Rob350 said:

My gf loves the 370 convirtable (her 2nd favaorite car ever) and has been saying since the day i got my 350 that one day she's going to spoil herself and get a 370 convirtable... or a GTR (her absolute favourite car) she's got good taste :teeth:

Mmmmm, she has to imaginary at that point :teeth:

Well i have come from the Z4M to the 370z . Liked the car but it didn't grab me like I was expecting. Also the servicing costs were eye watering. Cheapest indy prices started North of £800 for an inspection 2 which I simply could not just justify paying in the end. Performed well and the engine was a peach but those inspection costs killed the ownership feel for me. 370Z on the other hand is equally as fast, looks better and especially the 40th Anny edition I have, has all the toys included. Insurance is cheaper and servicing costs are sensible. Now it has its AAM exhaust fitted it sounds better too. Hope you enjoy the M3 though. My mate has had his for 10 years or more and loves it :thumbs: