Sell privately or trade in?

z350convert

Due to unforeseen inheritance, thought I would part with my much loved 350z and get a 370z. Should have just enough for a 2010 car provided I get a reasonable price for my z.

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between dealer prices and private sellers. I wonder how prepared dealers are these days to haggle, there not being a huge profit margin on second hand cars as there is so much competition.  The element I could perhaps haggle over is the value of the trade in which also gives the dealer a profit.

My car is a low mileage 2003 GT, looking for £5k or a bit more (£5.5k?) what do you experts think?

Many thanks.

Dealers will pay you CAP/ Glass pricing guide for your car. I sold mine privately a few months ago. These aren't the type of cars you can  value off a guide. Mine for instance, a 2005 with 64k mileage in gunmetal with fsh capped at £4,500 however I sold it privately for 7k with people fighting over it. 

If you value half a day of your time worth £2,500 I would suggest cleaning it up, photographing it and advertising it online and inviting people to come see it.

Then buy your 370z with no part exchange.

The value of your car at trade in isn’t as important as the cost to change.

If they only give you £3k for your car but you get £2k off the sticker price, you’re in the exact situation you wanted to be in in the first place. Just go and ask the question, you never know until you try.

• Like 1

Its true you will get a much better deal privately than you will trading the car in. But private selling comes with downsides. You will be contacted by lots of dreamers, you will end up waiting in and people wont turn up, people will come and then offer silly money, and if you put your phone number anywhere on an ad you will get PPI and other spam calls.

For an easier life PX is definitely the way to go, but if you are really needing a bit of extra money to get the car you want a private sale might be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my 2005 roadster a few months back for £5500 to the second person who viewed it.

It sold within a couple of weeks of being advertised.  

It was in good condition but needed a new roof. 

PX offers were lower, then you have to pay screen price too. 

Take some time to do your homework.

How much is your car worth, be sensible, if sold privately.

How much is the car you want to buy, if bought privately.

You now have an idea of the difference in value or cost to change as Ekona pointed out.

When you go to a dealer you are only really interested in this cost to change. Obviously a dealer may be more expensive than a private / private deal but there can be more peace of mind, warranty. etc.

Keep an eye on the Nissan dealers especially their approved cars. There can be massive differences in prices between dealers and I have seen them drop prices quickly. Shop towards the end of the month, many are so target driven that you can get a good deal if they have not hit their targets. And be prepared to walk away if you don't get the deal you want.