Upper Control Arm Upgrade

Colin747

I need to replace the passenger front top arm which I'm assuming is the upper control arm (U shaped part at the top of the suspension).

Are these worth upgrading or should I just use an OEM replacement? The car really is only used for road and maybe the odd track day (like once or twice a year).

I hadn't noticed any symptoms myself but when it was in for a service I was told it would need replaced for MOT he said it needs a "passenger front top arm" the part he showed me matches the one in the Torqen link.

What symptoms would it show if it needed replaced? 

i was hoping you could tell us!!  most are familiar with the usual clunks associated with banana arms, drop links etc...just wondered if this made a different noise or at particular times (low speed, when turning  etc.....)

He just got back to me there "Excsssive movement in the 2 bushes and balljoint is what they need to check for", in my case it was also causing vibration under heavy and motorway speed braking.

2 minutes ago, Colin747 said:

Can't help but notice that didn't really answer my question haha I can understand if you're not allowed to directly compare manufacturers you sell or something though

:lol:

I didn't mean to avoid your question, nor there is any law that forbids me to compare the products. Nissan doesn't really manufacture all their parts, they different suppliers, one of them being Dorman as far as I know. So they're the same parts. Moog ones look a bit different, Dorman look very OEM like. Other than that I don't know how else I can compare :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/05/2018 at 09:46, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Bit of a thread revival.. is it a PITA job to replace just the bushes? What about vs. replacing the whole arm?

(E.g. driveway job)

Edited by zelda

@zelda Burn the old bush out and press the new one in :thumbs: It's a pretty simply job assuming you have some basic tools at your disposal; more than doable at home on the drive.

In the past I've used a threaded bar and a socket that's slightly bigger than the bush to pull the bushes in. 

Popping the new bushes in the freezer for a few hours before can sometimes help to shrink them a bit so they press in easier.