HR induction kit comparison

JamesT2992

Hi, I have a 57 plate HR. 

I currently have the standard air boxes in with a K&N drop in panel filter in each. 

I'm currently looking at swapping them out for upgraded induction kits, I have my eye on the Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit and the Injen Dual Cold Air Intake Polished. 

Looking at both there is minimal bhp difference between them for the price. 

However my question is, does anyone have any experience with each of these or am I better off staying with my current set up?

Any opinion is welcome! 

My current set up is K&N drop in panel filters, 3" Cobra NonRes with Y Pipe, soon to be added Sports Cats and adjusting of the map. 

Popular opinion is that the best setup for performance is what you have now, the oem airboxes are actually really well designed for airflow and don't attract a lot of heatsoak so a decent drop in filter is all that's needed. 

That said, lots of people do swap them out for proper CAI kits just for the noise or engine bay bling so it's just personal preference really, don't pay too much attention to the claimed bhp increase figured because they're mostly just nonsense :lol:

Edited by Jack94
  • Thanks 1

As above mate I've got K&N drop ins on my HR, I do like the bling effect of Induction kits but they can get rammy if not kept on top of and have possible heat soak etc, so up to you really!

Maybe go half way and tart up your existing boxes?

• Thanks 1

There’s a chap on fb group hat was selling these that I was hoping to buy (then bushes at galley gasket went) so he may still have them.

i did a lot of reading and general opinion was vague increase in bhp in general but if you can shove air down them (I.e. take front bumper off lol) you can get more respectful gains but you would need to heat wrap the metal pipe work as they suffer from heat soak. Some said they had up to 15hp gains in the states but was sceptical myself. 

I was investigating options of replacing the tubing with silicon hoses too in order to reduce heat soak... which I’m sure could be done but makes it all very expensive but still may do it though lol.

Also I think the injen ones generally had better reviews than stillen - pm me if you the Facebook sellers deetz.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party here but I remember reading 350Butcher's thread where he monitored air temps on track using one of the CAI setups and found it to be only a couple of degrees above ambient, the only time temperatures spiked was when the car was slow / at a standstill, so heatsoak may not really be the issue that most might think.

His thread is interesting, well worth a read =)

• 3 months later...

Also late to the party.. but thought I could hopefully add some value to the thread as I have Injen's now.

I purchased Injen long tubes (black). Was easy enough to fit, though when I compare against Stillen pics, I think that the silicon tubes are wider than the aluminium ones on the Stillen. Bit of "body weight persuasion" needed to squeeze stuff in, but it comes with all the brackets for horn relocation and didn't require drilling like the Stillen kit.. and it was cheaper! Also, the Injen intakes sit lower on the front and more in-line with the airflow from the front vents.

I've since had mine mapped (alongside several other mods) - Have posted dyno results in the thread FYI but my car is making very impressive gains and I think this mod contributory to that.

I was warned off of long tube CAI due to heat soak and gains vs cost reasons when enquiring about maps etc. I decided to do more research and in the end decided it was worth the risk, especially after reading 350butcher's thread.

I went for black as it dissipates heat better - Can't remember specific reasons why it does but I did my research before ordering (infra-red related if I remember correctly). During the mapping at Horsham, I kept a close eye on the ambient vs intake temps and found the intake temps to me marginally lower than ambient... and that's on a rolling road with a fan infront! Pic's FYI.

I do think they're worth it, especially when done in hand with other breather mods. They look cool, give good gains (though I did this mod at the same time as several others) and sound cool when they're sucking in all that cold air!IMG_2481.JPG.74802da1652cb8c168f78ad0d14a94c6.JPGIMG_2482.JPG.e05a27aad4f09c55bf3e90d1aee1d8e0.JPG

20180929_143642481_iOS.jpg

20180929_143638678_iOS.jpg

Edited by Foo56
More pics

• 2 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:04, Foo56 said:

Also late to the party.. but thought I could hopefully add some value to the thread as I have Injen's now.

I purchased Injen long tubes (black). Was easy enough to fit, though when I compare against Stillen pics, I think that the silicon tubes are wider than the aluminium ones on the Stillen. Bit of "body weight persuasion" needed to squeeze stuff in, but it comes with all the brackets for horn relocation and didn't require drilling like the Stillen kit.. and it was cheaper! Also, the Injen intakes sit lower on the front and more in-line with the airflow from the front vents.

I've since had mine mapped (alongside several other mods) - Have posted dyno results in the thread FYI but my car is making very impressive gains and I think this mod contributory to that.

I was warned off of long tube CAI due to heat soak and gains vs cost reasons when enquiring about maps etc. I decided to do more research and in the end decided it was worth the risk, especially after reading 350butcher's thread.

I went for black as it dissipates heat better - Can't remember specific reasons why it does but I did my research before ordering (infra-red related if I remember correctly). During the mapping at Horsham, I kept a close eye on the ambient vs intake temps and found the intake temps to me marginally lower than ambient... and that's on a rolling road with a fan infront! Pic's FYI.

I do think they're worth it, especially when done in hand with other breather mods. They look cool, give good gains (though I did this mod at the same time as several others) and sound cool when they're sucking in all that cold air!IMG_2481.JPG.74802da1652cb8c168f78ad0d14a94c6.JPGIMG_2482.JPG.e05a27aad4f09c55bf3e90d1aee1d8e0.JPG

20180929_143642481_iOS.jpg

20180929_143638678_iOS.jpg

sorry quick question, do you have to remove bumper to fit the Injens ?

Thanks

On 31/12/2018 at 18:35, slipstream said:

sorry quick question, do you have to remove bumper to fit the Injens ?

Thanks

Yes you do mate. Bit fiddly but not too hard - Could do with widening the two air intake holes too but it does fit (just tight).