Motordyne m370 intake manifold

Nso93

A friend of mine was selling his. They do make some midrange but sacrifice some top end. Not worth the cost IMO especially as it looks shite and it’s just a ported 350z plenum? Perhaps look into the Z1 upper and lower, or her a 3” cat back, optimise the rest of your setup. Buying and installing a set of exhaust manifold headers is expensive, and it is costly to get much over 360bhp NA. 

The cobra cat back is fine, it won’t make as much as a Motordyne 2.5-3”, but then they are loud and expensive. The next mod before mapping would be either HFCs or decat. That m370 plenum alone wouldn’t really have justified the cost, only giving some midrange maybe losing a few bhp top end. I purchased the ART Decats, but obviously they won’t pass the MOT. I figured the ART Decat pipes were the best option and should logically be less restrictive than even a pair of 200cell HFCs, and they’ve got helm holts resonators which claim to be as quiet or quieter than HFCs. That said, I’ve seen other setups with HFCs make more peak power on the same dyno as mine, it might make better torque or power elsewhere in the Rev range, I’m not sure. But ultimately my conclusion is there’s not a huge difference between HFCs or Decats on the dyno  The guy in the other thread made 323whp, I think he had a Stillen cat back, cobra or Berk HFCs and the same hybrid filter intake that you and I have. All engines are different, perhaps his is an exceptionally good one to make that peak figure. But you should see at least 310whp, up to 350-360bhp with a pair of HFCs I reckon. If you want more then a pair of headers are another very expensive upgrade but probably not worth the cost as they might not even gain 10bhp over the stock headers. I’ve not seen enough charts to be sure, but evidently most people don’t do it because the gains just don’t justify cost. Probably the same when it comes to larger TBs, both upper and lower plenum. Perhaps all of them combined would achieve a good figure, maybe 380bhp at a guess? But it might costs 3-£4000 to buy and fit it all. 

• Like 1

I’ve beenlooking at the ark hfc and the cobra one’s also.  But it decats could be a better option and just get them changed over before the mot

I was also considering putting the aam short tails on and doing a back box delete. But I’m not 100% if they’ll line up with the cobra centre section. 

On my old type Rs and in theory Decats, especially a pair of them should produce less backpressure and subsequently more bhp and torque than even a pair of 200 CELL HFCs. But to be honest from the charts I’ve seen, I haven’t seen any others with ART Pipes like mine but HFCs don’t seem to be particularly restrictive. 

If you’re going decat i’d make sure you have a sufficiently quiet cat back, or not only will it be very loud on cold starts, drone at mid rpm but it might have a nasty rasp to it. I’m not trying to sell you the most expensive Decat there is, but if you do some research, everyone says that the ART Pipes reduce or eliminate rasp with their helm holts resonators. They are even supposedly quieter than HFCs, I can very this myself as I switched from Fast Intentions 300 CELL HFCs to ART Pipes. I also use an Ark Grip Cat Back because my former Fast Intentions CBE with 10” resonator was too loud. However, at the time I was not sure if swapping the FI HFCs  to ART Pipes would make it quiet enough. Comparing the size of the silencers, the FI cat back would be very similar in volume if not for the additional pair of helm holts resonators on the ARK Grip. These must tune and cancel out certain raspy frequencies and make it a bit quieter at the same time. 

Id check YouTube videos for some ideas, as even on loud setups, the ART Pipes still manage to retain a deep non-raspy sound, even combined with a Motordyne Shockwave. 

With no HFCs and a regular Decat, I’d ensure that the rest of your cat back has got large enough silencers and/or resonators to keep the noise and rasp down. I think Ark also do a Decat with similar resonators for a bit cheaper. If you can afford it if get ART Pipes though. 

Heres an idea how loud it might be, this has ART Pipes, AAM short tail pipe thing and the AAM mid pipe. It’s loud but a deep loud for the most part thanks to the ART Pipes. I wouldn’t like to imagine what it might sound like without them. 

Edited by nub