One whine down one to go......its not the wife, but what is it??

Miller350z

Afternoon all, as I was going to japfest and had a 135 mile journey there o decided to change the rear whining wheel bearing. Pain in the backside but it was sorted. However I have another whine and it's just when you press the accelerator. So basically when the throttle is only just open. So floor it no whine. Let off no whine. It's only when the throttle is very slightly open. Also happens on cruise control again when the throttle is slightly open. So that was annoying on the journey down. So what is the problem and how do I fix it????? Is it a throttle body bearing? Is it a common problem? I know the noise has always been there but just want it sorted now.

I had the exact same problem on mine. It only happend above 70 though, it sounded like it was coming from the rear so i put it down to diff or gearbox whine, it never got louder in the 19 month/20kmiles I owned the car for, I also changed the box and diff oil and it didn't get any quieter. I had checked all wheel bearings etc anything that could whine which no joy in finding the offender.

If you do get it sorted though I'd like to know what it was as it bugged me but I had a loud exhaust so could barely hear it.

Edited by Rob350

Yeah I'm certain it's got to be something to do with the throttle body or Induction. It only ever happens when the accelerator pedal has very little pressure. Like I said put the pedal down a bit more the noise goes, take you're foot off the pedal the noise goes. I had a new bank 1 sensor fitted and he smoke tested for leaks so I don't think it'll be induction or exhaust really. I commented on a post about this 3 years ago when someone had a similar issue. He didn't find the cause then and I've reached for ages and not found an answer. You would've thought this problem would've come up before on other people's cars and the depth of knowledge on here someone must know. If I ever get to the bottom of it I'll post the answer 

• 1 year later...

So it's been a over a year and I still have the whine!! Thought I'd give it a bump, see if anyone new can help me out. Same as above really, when the throttle is hardy open just cruising it whines. Only fix I've found so far is turn the radio up!

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Miller350z said:

So it's been a over a year and I still have the whine!! Thought I'd give it a bump, see if anyone new can help me out. Same as above really, when the throttle is hardy open just cruising it whines. Only fix I've found so far is turn the radio up!

Thanks 

I thought this was just a normal Zed noise - just from the engine?  I've heard it in 370's as well.

34 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

I thought this was just a normal Zed noise - just from the engine?  I've heard it in 370's as well.

Really? Does yours or anyone elses? 

What's the cause and can you fix it? It's so annoying when you're just cruising dine the motorway 

Can you record yours? I'll do my best to record mine as well later today

I'm sure @Scarabrae mentioned this to me before on his 370z, saying it sounded like a supercharger whine. I started mine up for him and we agreed it was just engine noise as it was the same thing.

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about the cars can weigh in if it's normal or not.