Burning oil - and continued use ?

RobPhoboS

So my car has been burning oil for a while now, I suspect it's the rings that need replacing.

Sly did do a comp test and was happy with the result from that side of things, although not a full leak down test.

I keep an eye on the level, and frequently top it up accordingly.

However what I wanted to know is that how long can it go on like this ?

There are some puff's of smoke here and there but I don't know what the damage will be in the long term, if any ?

I want to rebuild the engine when I can afford to, so it's not going to be for a little while yet.

No kitty on board.

I haven't been able to work out the consumption yet. I need to start over as I moved and don't use the car as much.
1ltr 1000 miles is probably about right, maybe a bit more.

I'm doing an oil change tomorrow, track day mon :D

No probs, Millers is great stuff! The extra weight might just help reduce usage.

Thought I'd mention it just in case you'd not tried it as that cured the little bit of smoke my following mates reported on my previous DE car.

Do you get much into the catch cans? Might give an indication of how worn the rings are.

19 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

No probs, Millers is great stuff! The extra weight might just help reduce usage.

Thought I'd mention it just in case you'd not tried it as that cured the little bit of smoke my following mates reported on my previous DE car.

Do you get much into the catch cans? Might give an indication of how worn the rings are.

It seems to have helped a bit already !

I will definitely try the 10W next time too :)

There was maybe around 50ml (maybe 100ml, hard to know without measuring) over the last 4-6 months I guess. I should do the intake side one as well. Just typical that I need several things at once without much funds currently :(

I was using Mobile 1 oil and my consumption was high. I switched brand as recommended by H-Dev and it has made a massive improvement. Noted my car isn't smoking but it does show how the right oil helps. I'm on 100k (Car is a Rev-Up).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned I'm with Millers CFS 5-40, and after around 1000 miles including a track day it's used around 1ltr.

Which is less than the previous oils I used (all 5w 30 Mobil 1, Fuchs Titan XTR & GT1, Shell Helix Ultra, Motul 8100 Eco-nergy). So I'm sticking with Millers but will try the 10w 50 next time.

I also don't think it's been quite as smokey but it's still smelly :lol:

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2018 at 16:35, 350Butcher said:

Hi Rob, 

Stick in the CFS 10w50, especially if you’re tracking the car. 

Stick in new PCV valve too if you haven’t already. Worth it as it’s so easy and cheap. 

Which one would you recommend ?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115230-millers-oils-cfs-10w-50-competition-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115239-millers-oils-nanodrive-cfs-10w-50-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

1 hour ago, RobPhoboS said:

It’s what I’ve just ordered myself the 10w50 NT. Little extra protection got to be worth a couple of extra ££. 

It’s what Millers themselves recommends too. Great stuff, ran my cars on this stuff for years. I change mine every 2 track days. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...