Sports cat and MOT

shawnsx

I fitted a japspeed exhaust system and japspeed Sports cats about 9 or so months ago. At the time I had some issues with the sports cats not being delivered/lost by japspeed. Eventually they came and were fitted. 

Today i I had the car in for its MOT and it spectacularly failed on the emissions test. It ran 1.736 and then 1.572. Both times the car had been warmed up by the garage, who regularly deal with modified cars. 

The guy guy at the garage doesn’t reckon they are sports cats fitted, has anyone else fitted Japspeed sports cats and had such an issue with the readings? 

I’m gojng to take them off in the morning as the garage has suggested I check to make sure they aren’t just decats. 

Thanks Shawn 

They're not known as Crapspeed for nothing...

But yeah, it seems that there's a big issue with hi-flo cats and the quality of them for the Zed. So, so many are failing MOTs that tbh I'd either stay stock or just go decat and swap the stock one back in come MOT time nowadays.

Cheers for the quick reply

Yeh unfortunately at the time I took the plunge and went crapspeed.  

Il take a look at them 2moro to check Iv not been sold a dud/decats ( didn’t realise the decats and cats look exactly the same until today) then have a look at trying to source some Cats. Don’t suppose you know if the standard Cats should be a direct bolt on to the aftermarket exhausts 

Can anyone recommend a hi flow or sports cat that they are aware will pass the mot emissions test. Looks like I will need to replace the japspeeed cats as I’m currently careless but don’t want to fork out another 500 on a set that may fail. 

OEM are the only ones I’d guarantee. We’ve seen every other brand on here fail at some point. Anything else and you take a gamble if I’m honest, which I know isn’t the answer you’re looking for. :( 

To echo what others have said. I bought a brand new pair of Berk HFCs, got then red hot as recommended, and they still failed an MOT. Then replaced them with a second hand pair of Cobra HFCs from a member on here who HAD passed with them and they still failed on my car...  Put stock cats back on and fly's through no problem.

It's totally hit and miss in my experience and far easier to stay stock. 

Edited by longsh07

On 11/05/2018 at 17:59, shawnsx said:

Can anyone recommend a hi flow or sports cat that they are aware will pass the mot emissions test. Looks like I will need to replace the japspeeed cats as I’m currently careless but don’t want to fork out another 500 on a set that may fail. 

My Cobra HFC's passed after 5000 miles on the standard map - just