Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric A3?

Jimnirvana

Hi All!

Tyre time has arrived and need to replace all 4. I've had MPSS and loved them but with prices skyrocketing I went for the Goodyear A2s last time round and loved them just as much (I don't track the Zed but enjoy spirited driving around the lovely roads near me) however, this time I see there are now A3 variants of the F1s? Do any of you tyre gurus know if these are superior to the A2s or are they the same/worse? They're in XL flavour  (see attached screen shot) and seem reasonable on price from blackcircles? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated, cheers guys

Jimbo

Screenshot_20180504-091151.png

Tread pattern looks identical to the A2, so I'm guessing it's just a compound upgrade. Personally I'm not keep as I find them amazing in the dry but dreadful in the wet, and I'd rather have something that coped with both versions of the British weather, but some people do love them so if you liked the A2 you'll probably like the A3.

BUT

When MPS4 are just £57 more for a significantly better tyre in all conditions and one that will last longer, I reckon you'd be mad to buy anything else if you're at that budget. My prices also from Blackcircles, you may even find them cheaper elsewhere but that's the only place I looked 'cos I'm lazy :lol:

I have Goodyears all round on my z and I must say, having never tried the Michilins, they seem perfect for daily driving and spirited driving in all conditions.

Given them some abuse in the dry and they stick great! My friend, who does a lot of rallying was convinced I had semi slicks on :lol: 

In wet conditions, you have got to be half sensible anyway with a rwd sports car, but the Goodyears certainly do the job and I definitely wouldn't say they were poor at all!

Still think, on the road, you'll be hard pushed to tell the difference between a car with MPS4's on and the Goodyears :shrug:

That's the thing, in the dry I agree with you: There's not much between the EF1 and MPS4. In the wet and changing conditions though, it's night and day. I've driven budget tyres with more wet grip than the EF1s, I really don't rate them at all for that.

For £57, why chance it? It's not even a tank of fuel.

Ekona! Is it Dan by the way? Sorry for the delay, had a mad weekend and had notifications turned off. Thanks for taking time to look on black circles and reply. I saw your review on the MPS4s and was my first choice tbh but I couldn't see the front sizes? Am I just being blind? Is the 57 quid you quoted overall too i.e. not per corner? I'm on standard rims (well the GT4 style but same as the GT rays) 

Ahhh awesome, cheers again for your input Dan its greatly appreciated. I've found a few other places that stock both flavours now so I just need to find a few minutes to sit down and compare prices etc now. l'll drop the best prices and where from in here when I do, might help some other folk out? Thanks again mate and happy Zedding to all

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...