Alternator overhaul kit

scobie140

Has anyone got any details on overhaul kits for 04 alternators?

I've Had a look online but nothing has came up.

My voltage is all over the place and a auto electrician said it will be the voltage regulator. I've had it bench tested but it worked fine in the test and for about 30min after refitting to the car and is now tempeamental.

I couldn't actually find a regulator that I was sure would fit, plus it'd probably be a bitch to fit. Refurbed alternators on eBay are about £150 and about £75 more gets you a patent part out of Germany.

5 hours ago, KyleR said:

I couldn't actually find a regulator that I was sure would fit, plus it'd probably be a bitch to fit. Refurbed alternators on eBay are about £150 and about £75 more gets you a patent part out of Germany.

I would have thought there would be general overhaul kits for the different types of alternator containing bushes, bearings, regulator etc but all I could find was random individual parts and I'd have to strip mine down to find out what individual parts were in it.

So far I've found http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/nissan-350z-alternator---2003--a3601-5774-p.asp which is a recon with a 12 month guarantee @ £137 

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Electrical-Alternator-12V-110A-Amps-Replacement-Part-Lucas-LRA03601/401489662469?epid=2068610240&hash=item5d7aa61205:g:dyIAAOSw5RRaetCx is £235 new Lucas one 12 month guarantee.

I'd rather get an overhaul kit for it though as there's not much to them and would be cheaper. I'll  need to pull the trigger on something soon as it's put the car back off the road. I'll hold out until tomorrow and see if anyone else has refurbed one before

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:38, KyleR said:

I wouldn’t be bothered with the hassle, much easier to replace the whole thing.

To be honest if it was clear what the right part is required it would be a doddle to change out.

I ended up just getting a new alternator as the bushes were a tad worn aswell and its a bit of a ball ache to change out since the car is boosted so should never need done again in my ownership.

13 hours ago, scobie140 said:

To be honest if it was clear what the right part is required it would be a doddle to change out.

I ended up just getting a new alternator as the bushes were a tad worn aswell and its a bit of a ball ache to change out since the car is boosted so should never need done again in my ownership.

Did you go new OEM or patent part?

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:09, KyleR said:

Did you go new OEM or patent part?

Just went for patent part, I've still got the original so might overhaul that and take a punt on the regulator then get it tested and keep it as a spare.

• Like 1